Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

SLW's Mini Revo build thread.

I bought a mini revo about a year ago before the mini Grave Digger came out with plans to convert it to Digger style. I eventually bought the body, bumpers and wheels and a few other things as they were available. I never made a thread because it wasn't an all out build like I normally do.
    I lost interest in the truck after installing the gpm shocks. no matter what weight oil I put in it the thing it just doesn't have any dampening. I've read that the pistons in these shocks are too small for the body that they are in. I recently picked up some traxxas gtr's but haven't installed them yet.
    installed now:
    jconcepts rulux wheels
    proline dirt hawgs with titus beadlocks
    traxxas response pro wheels and tires
    traxxas center diff
    traxxas steel cvd's
    traxxas Grave Digger Body with body posts
    traxxas Grave Digger wheels and tires
    traxxas Grave Digger front and rear bumper
    traxxas aluminum push rods and toe rods
    hot racing aluminum steering knuckles
    hot racing sway bar
    hot racing aluminum steering post
    hot racing aluminum hex pin set
    hot racing aluminum front and rear rocker arms
    gpm red aluminum shocks
    tbone- front rear center and wheelie bar (not necessary with center diff installed)
    spc 50c 2s x2

For my birthday I received a gift certificate at the lhs so I bought all the red aluminum parts that they had. I normally wouldn't buy integy. i soldered bigger connectors on the stock motor so that it works with a castle esc. I haven't decided if I want to go big block or do a neu motor down the road. I have a 7700 and a 5700 that are candidates for installing but I'm not sure yet. I may wait to see how the vxl motor does with an upgraded esc.

parts waiting to go on:
    integy red front and rear bulkheads
    integy red front and rear body mounts
    integy steel center shafts
    traxxas gtr shocks
    hitec servo
    castle sv2 or mamba monster

I get home from working offshore next Wednesday so the new parts should go on then. I'm considering the integy carbon fiber chassis because i'm a cf junky. If there are any other mods that I should order before then please feel free to let me know. I may be missing some stuff since I made the lists off the top of my head. here are some pics so far.

Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    looks good!
    i went with the hr shocks red pistons and tin shafts. the bottom cap snaps on the gtr shocks and hr screw on.might have problems with the cap popping off if you jump hard
    gpm have their own problems same length as stock but less stroke!

RC Champion
    Can i take the piston and shaft from the gtr and put them in a hot racing body?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Okay I figured it out. I just placed an order for another round of mods!

Integy Carbon Fiber chassis for mini revo (works with revo body)
    Integy Red heatskink and fan
    GPM red front and rear shock towers
    Hot Racing threaded shock towers

I was really thinking of doing the 200mm touring car conversion but I decided to keep this an offroader.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes. Hot racing shock bodies take traxxas internal parts
    Careful with too much aluminum looks nice but the weight adds up!and aluminum bends and stays bent

RC Racer
    looks great.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    Okay I figured it out. I just placed an order for another round of mods!

Integy Carbon Fiber chassis for mini revo (works with revo body)
    Integy Red heatskink and fan
    GPM red front and rear shock towers
    Hot Racing threaded shock bodies

I was really thinking of doing the 200mm touring car conversion but I decided to keep this an offroader.
    Fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by esham976 View Post
    looks great.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Yes. Hot racing shock bodies take traxxas internal parts
    Careful with too much aluminum looks nice but the weight adds up!and aluminum bends and stays bent
    True enough. The arms are staying plastic. Which reminds me..they are rpm. I forgot to mention them.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome build so far! Can't wait to see the result.

RC Champion
    thanks dude! I'm look forward to installing the cf chassis, hopefully it'll be in by next weekend.

RC Champion
    The order has shipped! I'm looking to replace the titus beadlocks with something a little lighter. what wheels provided the largest offset for the dirt hawgs?

RC Champion
    Anyone?

RC Qualifier
    Desperados are pretty wide, but hpi super star wheels have a little more offset I think. Personally I think the dirthawg tires are not wide enough for hpi wheels and thats why I went with desperados.

RC Champion
    Thanks. It's going to be those or Traxxas white dish that I go with for them.
    I made it home and started messing with the merv. I don't want to tear it down till I get the chassis but I guess I'll put the diffs together tomorrow.

I'm going to pull the red lights out of the 1/10th Digger and put them on this body.

RC Qualifier
    What are you using for wheel spacers? have you broke one yet? I was looking to widen up mine.

RC Champion
    I really don't have much wheel time with the revo but I'm sure the bearings would eventually suffer. They are the ones that thetoyz sells. I can't remember the brand offhand.
    I received my order in the mail today! I also went to the lhs and picked up a dx4s to replace my dx3s with some leftover gift certificates.

RC Qualifier
    Sweet parts and radio!

RC Champion
    Thanks dude!
    I de anodized the blue parts and hr shock bodies tonight:

RC Qualifier
    I found these

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Traxxas-Mini-...item23272086b8

It should really improve handling. I'm not overly hard on my truck so they should be ok, I wounldn't want to bend my new CVD stubs.

RC Champion
    these are the ones I have: 15 vs 25mm
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Traxxas-Mini-...ht_3326wt_1071

RC Champion
    I've made a little progress on the revo. I got the front diff in and it seems like I'll be able to use the full chassis skid from tbone racing. It will just be connected to the bottoms of both diffs only. I've come across two problems so far:
    1. when screwing the driver side rocker arm down it binds the bearings up. If loosened at all it will wobble. (I've tried stock rockers and the hr ones) any tips?
    2. the shock mounts on the chassis leave a nice little gap between the shock tower and the shock mount. I will add spacers to make this work it just stinks.

i had to flip the rockers upside down

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Mine binded with metal bearings but once I used boca yellow seal ceramics they worked perfectly
    I think upside down might through it off a bit

RC Champion
    I'll look into getting those bearings. I was able to get the stock front rockers to work and I put the front HR rockers in the back for more travel and both don't bind now. Well I finished up this round of mods for the merv yesterday. I stayed up all through sunday and sunday night and didn't go to bed until 10 last night. This is definitely the most complicated and time consuming of all of my rc's.
    I really like how it turned out as far electronics placement is concerned. I took off the bottom plates of the chassis off since I mounted my battery and esc upside down. With the full skid plate on , they will get all the protection they need. I've already taken the aluminum body post towers off in favor of stock ones. I just can't see those lasting. They do look good though.

I still need to order some springs and an aluminum servo horn for the hitec servo before I can run it (any part number for that?) . I have an integy red aluminum tranny case on order at the lhs and I plan on getting more red aluminum. with all the work put into this so far, i think I'll be happy with having this a shelf queen and for street use only...I do have enough parts to get started on building another merv but then I would be going against my new years resolution of no new builds this year...modifying my current fleet is the only thing allowed lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice! Try 10774 ofna tower hobbies for the horn

RC Champion
    thanks! what pistons are you using in your HR shock bodies? I took the ones from the gtr shocks and they are slightly too small and allow fluid to go on all sides. I tried 2000 cst diff fluid and I still have no dampening.

RC Qualifier
    I use the traxxas 1/16 onroad pistons. They have smaller holes. I don't know the part number off the top of my head

RC Champion
    What shock body?

RC Champion
    here are some more pics I took today:

front rocker arms in the rear. they almost touch but don't

had to use the extenders for these wheels

RC Champion
    I ended up going with 100k diff fluid in the rear shocks and 60k in the front shocks. They have some dampening now but I would like to find some pistons made for the bigger bodied shocks like hr and gpm

RC Champion
    I haven't touched this truck since the last post. I finally installed the servo horn (which was the only thing I needed for it to run) along with green rpm arms. I re-shimmed the knuckles and it was ready to go. I took it out for about 5 minutes and wasn't happy with the speed of the velineon. I haven't installed a big block yet because i didn't want to lose the rear sway bar but I said heck with it. I got the 7700 (2pole) installed today but something is not right.

When I free spin the wheels it seems like there is a ton of juice (on SPC 2s 2500 50c geared 50/28) but when I put it on the street it only goes about 20-25mph. The temps were 95-sv2, 105-7700 and 90-battery after 10 minutes or so. I then put the Traxxas 3s battery in and it seemed like it was performing the same about 25mph tops. Temps on 3s where 112-sv2 167-7700 and 115-battery. Any ideas of why the performance is so low? What is optimal gearing for the 7700?

Anyways here are some pics from today of the upgrades:

With the 7700

It doesn't look like I'll be able to use the sway bars unless I use a much taller gear.

RC Racer
    how is that chassis cover part called? I thought it's a skid plate but couldn't find it.

and what shocks are you using there?
    Last edited by barakhav; 10-26-2013 at 09:34 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    That's the T-Bone Racing 3-piece chassis brace & skid plate kit.

IMHO it's a must have for people who are hard on their basher.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by puppa_bear View Post
    That's the T-Bone Racing 3-piece chassis brace & skid plate kit.

IMHO it's a must have for people who are hard on their basher.
    I didn't see the wheelie bar, that's the 4-piece (brace, skid plates/bumper & wheelie bar)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by barakhav View Post
    how is that chassis cover part called? I thought it's a skid plate but couldn't find it.

and what shocks are you using there?
    I'm using this kit plus the wheelie bar but it's not installed. http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...Revo-p431.html

The shocks consist of Hot Racing shock bodies and gtr pistons and shafts.

RC Champion
    I've noticed that this truck like to flip over a lot with the response pros and the dirt hawgs....and its not that great in the grass so I spend most time on the street. I think i'm going to run the ken block wheels and tires on 3s only. I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

RC Racer
    I'm using this kit plus the wheelie bar but it's not installed. http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...Revo-p431.html

The shocks consist of Hot Racing shock bodies and gtr pistons and shafts.
    Thanks SLW n puppa.

BTW the spring retainer and the lower cup are integy's?

RC Qualifier
    thanks! what pistons are you using in your HR shock bodies? I took the ones from the gtr shocks and they are slightly too small and allow fluid to go on all sides. I tried 2000 cst diff fluid and I still have no dampening.

Try 3000 wt, it works for me with HR bodies and merv stock pistons. Everything lower than this is a joke. I don`t understand how ppl uses 80 wt oil. It has no damping.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mtc777 View Post
    Try 3000 wt, it works for me with HR bodies and merv stock pistons. Everything lower than this is a joke. I don`t understand how ppl uses 80 wt oil. It has no damping.
    I must have done something wrong because I had to go up to 100,000 wt and I finally have a little dampening. I did a mixture of 100k and 50k for the front shocks and its too springy

RC Qualifier
    I must have done something wrong because I had to go up to 100,000 wt and I finally have a little dampening. I did a mixture of 100k and 50k for the front shocks and its too springy

Something is wrong for sure, 100000 wt is WAY too much. Check if piston is not loose from the shaft and make sure there is no air in the shock....also check if the bladder is sitting properly.

RC Champion
    the piston doesn't seal around the shock body. thats the problem I had with GPMs and was told that the HR bodies with GTR pistons work great together but they don't

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the pics
    Hate to think about the $$'s that lot cost ya