RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Axial Light kit direct fit for Mini Summit

I wanted my daughters mini summit (as built in another thread) to have light. So I searched for an "all in one" kit that had only what I needed. 4 white and 2 red LEDs and all the appropriate plugs AND was powered by the ESC. After some searching I found the Axial LED kit with controller. It was about $27 or so but was exactly what I was looking for so I bought it up.

Got it in the mail this week and installed it tonight. Heres the pics:

I apologize for not having any underhood pics. Ill get some tonight. I just totally forgot. But, the LEDs snape right in to the stock summit bumpers, no glue or anything required. They fit perfect. There is more than enough wiring to run the plugs to wherever you want on the truck.

I have no idea what the control box does. Its very small and only has 2 plugs for lights and an output with a plug for the ESC. There are absolutely NO instructions with the kit and the controller does not have any markings on it to let you know which lights go in which end. When I first plugged the lights in only the rears lit up. The fronts would not. So i swapped the plugs on the controller and voila... everything worked.

To make things simple for now I just stashed the controller and all the excess wiring in the left battery compartment. I ran the front and rear harnesses through the front and rear battery vents. Then ran the ESC plug out of the rear battery vent and into the waterproof RX box. Its clean but ill probably end up mounting everything in the RX box (theres more than enough room) just to keep everything waterproof. Ive also considered moving the RX into the left battery compartment but then id loose the waterproof feature. And im sure in the future the little one will find that handy.

More pics of underhood to follow.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Very nice, nice to see a basically drop in option for these guys. i still cant believe traxxas hasn't released their own mini summit light kit.

Whats the part # on the axial kit?
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Racer
    Did you open the control box? Probably just the connection mess and a resister if ya can open it post a pic plzzz

RC Racer
    bump , I'd love to see some more pics and part #s

RC Qualifier
    me to synisteR6 please post some pics and part numbers
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Enthusiast
    New to the forum. The Axial part number AX24257 (Simple LED Controller w/LED lights (4 white and 2 Red)). I have done the mode and YES it must be connected in the Rx box. I bought it from Amazon for $27 shipped.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 12o'clockhigh View Post
    New to the forum. The Axial part number AX24257 (Simple LED Controller w/LED lights (4 white and 2 Red)). I have done the mode and YES it must be connected in the Rx box. I bought it from Amazon for $27 shipped.
    27 bucks for a 5buck parts list wow i need to start making kits myself

RC Enthusiast
    I will need few more lights for my other RCs (cars, planes and cars). If you are willing to take orders just let me know.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 12o'clockhigh View Post
    I will need few more lights for my other RCs (cars, planes and cars). If you are willing to take orders just let me know.
    Did i say that out loud??? Lol a thought that wont happen for the general public but thanks anyway.

Sorry for not updating with more pics as promised. I've been traveling alot.
    I looked and looked and while you can buy the LEDs themselves very cheap, it's not as easy to just connect them all as if you use a kit like this. You need to get the plugs and connect it all together and shrink wrap it all. It's just a pain. I don't have time so for $27... This kit was worth it. But it is a pretty steep price for what your actully getting.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Sorry for not updating with more pics as promised. I've been traveling alot.
    I looked and looked and while you can buy the LEDs themselves very cheap, it's not as easy to just connect them all as if you use a kit like this. You need to get the plugs and connect it all together and shrink wrap it all. It's just a pain. I don't have time so for $27... This kit was worth it. But it is a pretty steep price for what your actully getting.
    I was talking with someone recently who is working on LED lighting kits. He may have just what you are looking for.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    I was talking with someone recently who is working on LED lighting kits. He may have just what you are looking for.
    Any links to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    I wont spend a dime till your advice is received.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I've recently bought a led light kit 4white / 2 red and got bill to shorten the wires for me and add a servo plug instead of a 9v battery.
    Resonably priced and fast shipping.
    http://www.billscustomrclighting.com/?no_redirect=true

RC Champion
    very nice. i was wishin my mini summit had leds as well.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddykins View Post
    I've recently bought a led light kit 4white / 2 red and got bill to shorten the wires for me and add a servo plug instead of a 9v battery.
    Resonably priced and fast shipping.
    http://www.billscustomrclighting.com/?no_redirect=true
    Thanks, good to know.
    XO-1, Summit VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Have had the axial light kit for awhile, finally installed it in my 1/16 summit, like op said they are a direct fit.

You can fit the light controller in the r/x box with the r/x. I did switch to a spektrum while i had it open the r/x box was the same size so it should all still fit with the stock r/x. It was a very tight fit.

Another thing to mention is with the stock body you will have to trim it around the lights.

RC poster
    I bought the traxxas light kit for the front bumper and trimmed the body to make it fit, just like the install above. However the lexan shell would bend down in crashes and ended up shearing off on the wires. Has anyone else figured a way around that problem?

RC Champion
    I re routed my wires under the bracket so the body doesn't hit them.
    However...I just switched to a Revo body(and Revo suspension pieces) and the front clearance is the same.

What I did notice on the install...
    When putting the control box in the rx box...you have to adjust it just right and place the spare wiring just right...
    Or when you tighten down the screws it will press the link button on the rx.
    I had this happen 3 or 4 times before I finally got everything situated correctly in there.lol.

I just wish there was some way to turn the lights on/off w/o having to open the rx enclosure and unplugging them...like a switch I could mount somewhere.
    I guess I could always series a switch into the power wire coming off of the rx to the control box and mount it somewhere on the chassis.
    Last edited by dcfox; 03-23-2013 at 12:01 AM.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker