Thread: LiPo Batteries

RC Qualifier

LiPo Batteries

I'm finally ready to get some LiPo Batteries for my 3908 Emaxx. I need some suggestions for some good starting LiPo batteries that are economic ( I don't like the word cheap...rather smart ) and that are of good quality. Any suggestions ?

RC Racer
    I like spc batteries... Try googling them. Great packs for the price

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-19-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    Sl4sh with CC MMP 3800, 2 mervs, a 3905 BL eMaxx,

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Qualifier
    I checked out that website and they have some really nice batteries...ive never heard of them, but they look like they have some nice batteries........someone else told me about onyx batteries.....the suggestions are really helpful! O yeah...can anyone else tell me if 2S with 7.4V is still more powerful than NiMh batteries or is it when you get the 11.1v when you begin to see the difference......i used to have Venom NiMh batteries and they were nice but not powerful enough to get the front tires off the ground.....thanks for all the help!

2s lipo and 8.4v NiMH will be about the same just the lipo has more available amps, punch, runs cooler, last longer not only runtime but life as well. The lipo will maintain the power a lot longer than NiMH as well. Lipo will get to top speed faster as well . you should be able to lift the front wheels with lipos. Spc is better IMO than venom, duratrax and some others as well. Choice is yours on what you want to buy spc rates their packs accurate what is on the pack is what your really getting.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    hanks for the infor.....very much appreciated it ! I was also looking at Onyx batteries. Anyone able to tell me if 11.1V vs 7.4V would be much faster and powerful? I used to have 8.4NiMh batteries and would like to see faster more powerful performance........maybe 3S would be better then?....if I want to see better performance than NiMh performance?

2 3s lipos on an emaxx is craziness you will break alot of stuff mainly major is diffs left and right. 2 2s lipos will be better than 2 nimhs 8.4v . now if your looking for the fastest emaxx and don't mind replacing stuff then yes 3s lipo will be a lot more performance than 2s lipo and NiMH.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the advice! I take it that 2 4S lipos are even crazier than 2 3S lipos right?
    Would 2 11.1V 2S Lipos be faster than 2 7.4V 2S LiPos?

RC Qualifier
    With the two emaxx I have beeing built at the moment, one will sport the FLM Ultimate Hybrid bulks and the other one will that I will mostly use to get aqainted to "feeling" things out......will sport Traxas Aluminum Bulkheads with Stock Diffs that I just rebuilt......i rebuilt them with stock 30k diff fluid and planning on swapping out different fluids to feel the differences..........with 3S LiPos.......any suggestions on how to make the stocks stronger.....i don't get how i will end up breaking the diffs....will the gears wear away or will they simply just crack and break?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    2 11.1V 2S Lipos
    Did mean to type 3S?

2s LiPo = 7.4V, but will peak at 8.4V

3s LiPo = 11.1V, I'm not sure what it peaks at.

RC Qualifier
    Yes...this is what i meant to type, thanks M n M :

With the two Emaxxs I'm building at the moment, one will sport the FLM Ultimate Hybrid bulks and the other one will that I will mostly use to get aqainted "feeling" things out "with ......will sport Traxas Aluminum Bulkheads with Stock Diffs that I just rebuilt......i rebuilt them with stock 30k diff fluid and planning on swapping out different fluids to feel the differences..........with 2S LiPos.......any suggestions on how to make the stock diffs stronger.....i don't get how i will end up breaking the diffs....will the gears wear away or will they simply just crack and break? Will 4S LiPo be even nuttier than 3S LiPo? Any suggestions will be very helpful ! Thanks !

RC Qualifier
    Alright now i'm stuck with weather i should get 7.4V or 11.1V .... anyone tell me what the difference between the two is....are the 11.1V faster and last longer ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    2 cell have 2 cells 7.4 volts and 3 cell has 50% more voltage and more power
    i would start with 2 2 cell batteries and when you can afford it go 3 cell to play with

with the stock diff i have broken the teeth on the pinion and broken the spider gears. you can go aluminum diff cups to reduce the flex along with shimming to get the ring gear closer to the pinion.
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-19-2013 at 08:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks....hmm....i also came across SkyLiPo batteries...any suggestions about those batteries...if not..then Onyx or Venom is where i'm headed........but......anyone recommend not getting 11.1V and getting 7.4V for my first set of Lipos?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i would check out spc lipo before those http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?categoryID=13

RC Champion
    I'm very happy with my hard case Gen Ace.

RC Qualifier
    Can you tell me exactly which Gen Ace batteries you have? I'm interested in hard case...better just in case...... literally......

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Spc 6500 55c are hard case
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-19-2013 at 10:17 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    Can you tell me exactly which Gen Ace batteries you have? I'm interested in hard case...better just in case...... literally......
    Gens Ace 2s 5000MAH 40-80c hard case ROAR Approved, with Traxxas style power connectors. I'm not sure what model # is.

RC Qualifier
    does anybody , 50togo, know of the shim sizes that i would need to shim my stock Traxxas Emaxx Differentials? Thanks for all the input. Shimming would be a good idea to preserve my differentials for as long as i can

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For the ring gear associated 21141 and for the pinion kyosho kyo96046. 4x6mm

RC Qualifier
    That is just fantastic 50togo! You really know your stuff....ill get those shims so i can prolong my stock diffs...thanks a trillion !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Glad to help!

RC Qualifier
    Does anybody know where I can get some plastic "o-rings" or some plastic/rubber tubing that can be used to house dogbones into drivecups snugly? thanks

RC Qualifier
    50togo I just wanted to ask......with those great part numbers you gave me: For the ring gear associated 21141 and for the pinion kyosho kyo96046. 4x6mm to shim the stock diffs.....is there any spefici technique that you have when shimming the stock diffs well? With my FLM Ultimate Hybrids i saw a video and they never shimmed the pinion...so i was wondering if you could offer your input......and if you knew of any aftermarket stronger pinions or grears for the stock traxxas diffs? Thanks 50togo !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With the stock diff sometimes you can't shim the ring gear too much then you have to shim the pinion
    Start with the pinion add a shim and assemble the bulkhead. Keep adding shims until it binds then remove a shim
    Check the pinion probably will have some in&out play. Add a shim and assemble keep adding shims until it binds then remove one.
    Now make sure the driveshafts pin still goes in. Last time it needed so many shims it pulled the pinion in too far

RC Qualifier
    Excellent Information, i will shimming these puppies as soon as I get those shims you mentioned. I have two Emaxxs being built and one will have these stock diffs, shimmed and just left alone with the stock layout except for upgrading to titanium screws in the whole thing. I'll keep this truck for my 2S LiPos and save the other emaxx with the FLM Hybid bulks for the 3S-4S-5S-6S Lipos ( when the time is right for the 6S LiPo)....i guess the 3S LiPos are very powerful......and not a good foundation to discharge for stock diffs.......but with the "Castle Link" I'd like to fine tune my emaxxs so that they have slower accerlation and can achieve the high speeds......anyone utilize the "Castle Link" to tame and harness the power of thier batteries and have the power behave the way you want it to when at the control ?

RC Champion
    for 4s i set mine, 100% forward,25%punch, no drag brake. and for 6s i go 100% forward and 40-50% punch and no drag.
    normal timing on both

RC Qualifier
    Incredible....I am defintly putting a "castle Link" on my list of things to buyt and master