RC Competitor

Exclamation Battery Concern!!!

Hi, i have a series 5 NiMH 5000 mah battery. I was charging it since like 8 last night till 9 this morning. When i started charging, it still had like 1/3rd of its power. Even so, when i woke up the light on my charger that came with my slash was red(not fully charged) and the battery was pretty warm. Does anybody know if this is a big issue? is my battery bad, or was it my charger? Thanks

RC Champion
    It's not a problem to start charging a NiMh with a partial charge (I do it all the time for my RC planes). Nor is it abnormal for the pack to get warm (though not *hot*) during the charge process.

Some guys will briefly re-charge a 100% full NiMh before use, just to "warm it up." The theory is that a warm NiMh performs better than a cold one...

As far as the "idiot light" on your charger is concerned...after 11 hours, I'm pretty sure that pack is fully charged! I would look into getting a good aftermarket charger ASAP. It makes things a lot more fun!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    Ya ditch that charger. They are a over night charger. For my 3000mah batt it would take a full night. For the 5000 probably almost 2x that.

RC Champion
    When I first got my series 5 NiMH 5000 mah battery with wall charger it took about 8-1/2 hrs to charge . I heard that it's a good thing to do from time to time a slow charge helps wit battery life . I've hv some power cell Minh that are over 3 yrs old an still going strong .
    1 Rusty VXL