RC Racer

Brushed vs brushless merv? Thoughts

Ok so i bought the brushed merv cause it was cheaper and figured i could use the difference in price to justify my beadlocks twin servo battery packs and charger and balance board. Looking for thoughts of which has better torque at low to moderate speeds. The fastest itll ever go is probably around 35 mph with stock tires and transmission stock and aftermarket pinion and spur but will also have another transmission setup later flipped internal gears and a 55 spur with a set of proline beadlocks and 2.2 mudslingers(4.8). Any thoughts on what motor would be best to run brushed or brushless?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    a neu small block of course!

RC Racer
    The brushed trucks are very entertaining, especialy for a smaller area and offroad terrain. My truck was bought used with a big block castle 5700 on it. I love it but honestly my sons brushed mini gravedigger is almost as fun in our back yard. We have a fairly small yard at 50x50 or so but I would have to strongly ponder to spend the money on the brushless or the upgrades for a budget.

I doubt you will be dissapointed at all if you go brushed and you may like it more if you plan to spend more time at lower speeds! The brushless is always a great option for a fairly minimal extra cost but it isn't as well suted for "low to modderate speeds."

RC Qualifier
    You can get brushed and upgrade it later. The Traxxas system is great, or you can get a great deal on a different brushless system. They make 380's as cheap as 15 bucks.

RC Racer
    Well if i stay brushed im going to keep the stock motor till it blows up. Lol. I dont have any tracks to run all i have is dirt rds and small pavement areas for speed runs and at20mph is a pain to keep straight on the dirt rds.

RC Racer
    50 what do you do mostly with you sb neu? And yeah custmemaxx1 it will be at low speeds most the time i have a pastor that my landlord owns next door but its not flat by no means 0-10 mph max iv only took it over there once but not that great with stock tires. Cipher i already have the brushed . I was already planning for tires and wheels and gears and batteries and such so the brushed version saved me about a hundred off the bat anyway. I plan on building one from the ground up sometime by the end of this year but for now just mods and advice.

RC Racer
    I see no reason for you go go brushless. sounds like the truck is fun for you right now and brushless can add some excitement but it can also hurt you because of your running area. I would upgrade the truck and save motor changes for down the road.

RC Racer
    Sounds good i was only planning a couple speed runs to mess with my neighbors dog he hates my merv but yeah i mostly do low speed and was trying to crawl up a ramp i made the other night and caught a glimpse of smoke. Motor ran a lil warm but that be fixed with gears anyway