Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldering Iron

RC poster

Soldering Iron

I dont know where else to ask this, so Im asking here. I bought a 80W Soldering Iron, is it going to get hot enough to be effective? Im a noob at soldering to I hope it is.

Thanks,
    Clay

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For light gauge wire but for thicker 12-10 gauge not too well
    What do plan on soldering? The trick is heat up the wire until hot and apply the solder to the wire not on the gun

RC poster
    A Tekin RX8 ESC, with motor connections and battery series connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by clay420 View Post
    A Tekin RX8 ESC, with motor connections and battery series connectors.
    This is a difficult task for a noob. Be sure to watch a few youtube videos and practice on something else besides the new motor/esc.

Learn how to solder on TRX power tabs for practice.

Use an angle tip which will hold more heat than a pointed tip; the pointed tip will not hold heat long enough to warm the joint and you'll have problems.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Im a plumber, so I do know how to solder copper pipe. It cant be harder than that, can it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So you know the basic idea!
    To give you an idea one of my soldering guns is I think 150 watts and the other 320 watts
    80 Watt can get it done but will take o.G's tips

RC poster
    Thanks guys. I might return the Soldering Iron and see if I can find a better one.

RC Qualifier
    An 80W soldering iron is quite large. Connecting large terminals and 12+ gauge wire does take quite a lot of heat. I would imagine a good 80W iron would be more than enough for that though. The bulk of my uses I use a 55W station.

My soldering iron is a 50/100W, I can switch between the wattage. I am also soldering up a Tekin combo as you described but have opted to use 10G wire with the castle bullets the same as MMM combo.

I know with mine I sometimes battle with the thicker wire...soldering is not really my strong point but I have gotten a lot better at it.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 12-18-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    80 watt is not quite large but will do ok. But since you can return it I would get a bigger one
    Something like this http://m.lowes.com/MobileWeb/web/pro...ductId=1115165
    Last edited by 50togo; 12-18-2012 at 03:56 PM.

RC poster
    Problem is, I cant find a larger for cheap. Im looking at $75 for 100-140W soldering Iron. Would that one be better?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The link I sent you from Lowes is 35.00.
    The 80 will.work just takes longer

RC poster
    Thats the one I was looking at online, only from Home Depot. We dont have Lowes up here, Canada. LOL. Except here its $75.

Thanks 50togo.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Practice with the 80. Get it good and hot you will get it done. Not worth 75 to upgrade!

RC Qualifier
    I have a 100w from hobby lobby I bought for about $25. Its been working great for years

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Here is a link to my $80 Weller soldering iron. Scroll down and check out my helping hands doo-dad, it's amazingly helpful. lol

RC Qualifier
    Iv been using a 75 watt for all my soldering, even up to 8ga. Yes it takes some time with bigger stuff, and you need to let the tip warm us real well. But it works. It takes a real steady hand when doing an esc at that low watt too.
    If you can get a 100 watt for a few bucks more do it. You wont regret it.

Helping hands are a great help. So is a pair of plyers with a rubber band around the handles.

RC Qualifier
    I bought a 35w iron for $8 at Radio Shack a couple YEARS ago. I've used it dozens of times with no problems. 80w should be fine.

I use a Weller 200/260, & a flux paste. Flux really helps to get things flowing....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    I use a Weller 200/260, & a flux paste. Flux really helps to get things flowing....
    Agreed. I forgot to mention the flux... And keep the tip clean with a damp sponge.

Motor & ESC are 8 AWG wire on my 5ive. All my Weller could do was tin the wires. Had to use a propane torch to get hot enough to get a good solder joint...

RC Enthusiast
    Im using a hakko 888 75W and couldn't be happier. Comes with a nice and sturdy tip holder with sponge and metal "sponge" for cleaning. I use 2 round and 2 bevel tips of different sizes, enough to cover everything for RC. It's set at 750deg for most work. Helping hands and Muchmore soldering base for connectors and plugs, lead free 3% silver solder. I use a bit of flux on most cable (oxide free flux) but not much as the solder tends to spread too far into the wire when tining it with flux. I always tin the tip plenty when done so the tip is protected and pre-tined for the next use.

BTW, 80W should be enough...Most people recommend a min of 60W for RC applications but 80W seems the sweet spot.

RC Enthusiast
    So your already a plumber. Then you know how important flux is as Long as you can get the wire hot enough to boil the flux you will be ready to push the solder. Make sure the iron is plenty hot before you try to heat/tin the wire I always tin then connect bakes for a better joint. 80 watts should be plenty. My 888hakko is 50 watts and heats to 900' F

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    my 100/140 does my light jobs to 12 gauge but i have one of those old weller 300+ watt soldering guns for anything thicker

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Here is a link to my $80 Weller soldering iron. Scroll down and check out my helping hands doo-dad, it's amazingly helpful. lol
    There's not much in this hobby you shouldn't be able to to with a 60 to 80 watt soldering station. I understand some may like to use much higher wattage guns and have had success with them, but they also bring with them the chance of things going wrong that much faster.
    Something to consider: there are large difference between cheap irons and quality irons, and between good soldering irons and good soldering stations. I'll go with a quality station every time.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Qualifier
    I bought the $8.97 (shipped) eBay 80w soldering iron. It soldered 10 and 12g wire without a problem using the tip it came with. I hardly ever solder so I went the cheapo route. lol

RC Champion
    I have been eyeing this soldering station for a while. http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888-FX.../dp/B004M3U0VU
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Champion
    Holy Crap!
    Looks like a lot of people here need soldering lessons!
    60 watt soldering station is more than plenty. Ive soldered a Tekin RX8 with a 40watt and used 10 gauge leads with no problems at all. The biggest difference is a quialtiy iron and quality tips. The chiseled tip is more effective than the pointed tip for this, pointed tip is for very small contacts on a circuit board. Soldering medium is also one of the big issues. You dont need flux or 60/40 rosin core. I use lead free silver solder that can be bought at any radio shack. The last Tekin RX8 I soldered up the whole thing including motor and battery connectors in less than 5 minutes with a quality 40W iron. The Hakko is the best suggestion I see in this thread and you dont need to crank it to max of 70 watts either. Breaking out a 250W soldering gun for this is like using a 10lb sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail.

I have a 45 watt radio shack iron and a 175/250 watt gun. After a few months of using the gun I broke the iron back out and patiently learned how to use it, it is a much neater solder joint when all is said and done and just as strong as the gun can do. So while bigger can be better patience and practice will get you there too. I much prefer the iron to the gun now.

Sent from my Torch!
    Don’t handicap children by making life easy

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Holy Crap!
    Looks like a lot of people here need soldering lessons!
    60 watt soldering station is more than plenty. Ive soldered a Tekin RX8 with a 40watt and used 10 gauge leads with no problems at all. The biggest difference is a quialtiy iron and quality tips. The chiseled tip is more effective than the pointed tip for this, pointed tip is for very small contacts on a circuit board. Soldering medium is also one of the big issues. You dont need flux or 60/40 rosin core. I use lead free silver solder that can be bought at any radio shack. The last Tekin RX8 I soldered up the whole thing including motor and battery connectors in less than 5 minutes with a quality 40W iron. The Hakko is the best suggestion I see in this thread and you dont need to crank it to max of 70 watts either. Breaking out a 250W soldering gun for this is like using a 10lb sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail.
    The Hakko is a fine piece, but I don't think the Weller suffers in comparison, especially in light of the fact that Weller tips are WIDELY available everywhere, not just on-line or at the LHS. Even so, I consider the Hakko to be included in my previous mention of GOOD soldering stations.

the type of solder has alot to do with a good solder joint.........
    like stated..... so what type do you use...??

As mentioned above, operator skill is a big part of soldering. My buddy Tom can solder anything known to man that needs to be soldered and makes a beautiful joint, and makes it look easy when he works. As in racing, I guess practice is the main thing.

RC poster
    I have an 80W soldering iron It works great, just have to keep on the wire/post a couple seconds longer. Practice makes perfect!!
    Tekin powered E-Revo

RC Enthusiast
    I have a 50W...solders 10G wire...as said, practice makes perfect .

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    The Hakko is a fine piece, but I don't think the Weller suffers in comparison, especially in light of the fact that Weller tips are WIDELY available everywhere, not just on-line or at the LHS. Even so, I consider the Hakko to be included in my previous mention of GOOD soldering stations.
    Im with ya there, I was just saying that it was the best suggestion I had seen over the 250watt death rays.
    I use a weller 50 watt digital station myself and mostly for the reason you pointed out, the tips are widely available. I never have it cranked to max either.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have better things to do . When I have a solder job my butane 50 watt stays in the drawer

Where and how did butane enter the convo? The 50W station mentioned is not butane.

RC Qualifier
    Well I use a old Flux Capacitor. Highly modified for soldering purposes. Does a great job. A+ solder joints.

Sent from Oser world

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty don View Post
    Well I use a old Flux Capacitor. Highly modified for soldering purposes. Does a great job. A+ solder joints.

Sent from Oser world
    How are you able to to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity needed?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Where and how did butane enter the convo? The 50W station mentioned is not butane.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Tekin powered E-Revo