RC Competitor

Tuning & Performance Help?

I finally got the Jato back together and took it out today. Once I finally got it started I had to adjust it so it would idle. After I got it to stay running i did some passes and checked the head temp. I got it to about 200 degrees then I checked the low idle setting then the idle again. It seems to be running a lot better but it is very sluggish off the line. What could be adjusted to help this? Also, what is the stock adjustment on the slipper clutch? Would that effect take off a lot?

Also, How could you make it turn sharper?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    If you are in a colder climate, you might be running too lean for the dense, heavy air and need to richen it a bit. What did you start with for factory needle settings? I keep my slipper just tight enough to were it hurts to turn with my bare hand.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Competitor
    I have the High Speed at 4 turns and the Low Speed flush when I started. I adjusted them along with the idle to get it to run then once it was running I would do a few speed passes to check engine temp for high speed needle and had it around 205 degrees. Once I had that I would do the pinch test to set the low idle then I would adjust idle from there. After that it was ran well but sluggish off the line.

As for the slipper I kept adjusting it so it wouldn't slip, but if you are running it that tight that may be a problem with mine. It may be to loose and not grabbing hard enough? If you were to tighten it up all the way, how many turns do you back it off to start?

What would you say the best gear combination is to use?

Thanks

RC Competitor
    how offten do you have to break in your jato3.3. Also what is the idle weather to break it in.
    Traxxas-WRX
    Jato3.3

RC Qualifier
    What %nitro are you running? If 30 that hsn should be closer to 4.75 out and maybe a bit more for cold dense air.

Regarding the slipper, I just keep tightening it till it won't turn by hand and then back out in 1/8 increments until it slips by hand but is really hard and uncomfortable. Leaving marks in my hand. I do all my trucks this way and have never had any issues.

I would richer that hsn up and then tune down.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Qualifier
    Also, I run my temp around 260-270. 200 seems low.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas-WRX View Post
    how offten do you have to break in your jato3.3. Also what is the idle weather to break it in.
    Only once when the engine is brand new...

Also if your temping around 200...then your engine can still be leaned out for more power. Whats your idle gap? It may be to big causing you to richen out your lsn which will make it appear to idle fine but it will not have power off the line from bogging down with to much fuel. Your idle gap should be around .6-1mm...
    R/C is expensive...

RC Competitor
    Thanks, I will have to run it again and tune it so its hotter.

RC Competitor
    Well I just got done with the car and took it for a quick run with what you suggested, I got the head temperature higher to about 250 with a temp gun but I installed the telemetry but that says it was 335 but then again the mph was off to so I have to learn about that more. With the head temp hotter and the slipper tighter it seems to be much better but still really slow off the line. You can actually hear it in the engine like its bogged down then clears out and then sounds normal. Could this be the idle gap like you were talking about and how do you check that?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    If it idles fine when sitting still, I wouldn't touch the idle gap any more. Low end bog is normally a hair too rish on LSN. Lean it out just a tiny bit at a time - 1/16 increments. Do a couple runs and let it settle down and then punch it. Do that until it doesn't bog any more. I wouldn't crank on it too much though, just enough to get the sluggishness out of it. Also, do this on 1/2 tank if possible.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod