RC Qualifier

How do you go from Stock Dual Servo to single Servo Setup?

Hello and my question is how do I go from my stock Dual Servo Setup on my Emaxx3908 to possibly a better single servo setup ? How does the change take place? Any pictures or comments/suggestions? I'm a new b. Also, anyone have any suggestions are far as what good servo to get if i'm going into the single servo route? I want the strongest, baddest one. Anyone have any suggestions. Also, anyone know of any metal gear setup for the Stock Traxxs 2075 or 2056 servos? I've heard that maybe the FUTUBA S3305 metal gears might work? Anyone know ?

RC Racer
    simply remove the 4 screws to the servo you dont want to use, then flip the truck over and remove the screw that goes into the servo, then remove the screw that holds on the arm (turnbuckle) ( not too sure of the names of everything) buts its very simple!
    Traxxas and yamaha - cant do anything without them

RC Qualifier
    Pretty simple, so after this is done....no more steering link rod ?

RC Qualifier
    You may prefer a single servo that is a little more robust and powerful. From memory the stock servo has 125oz/in2 so 2 stock Servos gave 250. You may then choose from a range of as savox servos with torque similar or better that would suit your needs.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ]
    Go hitec savox servos are power hungry the stock bec might not be strong enough
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-19-2013 at 01:33 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Running savox in my rig now for a while with no problem. Hitec are also and option, but some would require installation of an external bec to get them to operate optimally
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Champion
    I have a single hitek hs7955tg on one of my 3908's, its rated at the lower 6 volts and i think has 333oz torque. Seems to work fine with the internal bec set at 6 volts. and plenty strong. You might also want to add a capacitor to the rx to help with any voltage drop. Theres a pic of it on my build post project black and blue on this forum if youm want to look. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 01-19-2013 at 07:13 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With hitec you wont have a problem but with stronger savox servo's you do

RC Qualifier
    Hmm.......this is a tough one.....both hitec and Savox i hear are really nice servos. I wouldn't mind getting the perfect metal or even Titanium geared servo that is just essentially bulletproof with some kind of warranty. I've done some research where some people have been able to get thier savox servos swapped out right on the stop at thier LHS. I don't even mind spending alot of money getting one good solid titanium or whatever the strongest metal gears available with some type of piece of mind that if something happens, i'm covered.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Savox is a good deal and a castle bec isn't too expensive

RC Qualifier
    hanks......all the advice is great...i'm just about to start rebuilding my two maxx trucks...all of this information is very helpful...anyone know which specific bec I would neeed and if there is anything else i should know about a bec? Could I use a bec for any "upgraded meteal geared servo" i plan on buying? Thanks to everyone !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    castle bec is 10 amps and will be fine with any servo that you choose. again with a hitec you won't need one . i ran one to raise the voltage to 7.4 volts because mine is a high voltage servo

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't mind spending $200 on a single servo if I know it will hold up, comes with a warranty, and has the most durablest metal for gears...essentially bulletproof.........anyone know of any that are the best?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My hitec 7950th has titanium gears a good warranty and at 6v is 403 oz and 486 at 7.4 volts. And less then 200!

RC Qualifier
    i'll check out that servo......thanks 50togo.....do you use a bec with your servo?

RC Qualifier
    I went with a GH Racing Metal Servo bellcrank and the thing is sharp...but ever since i installed it, i ruined two sets of stock Traxxas Servo gears in a very short amount of time...maybe i should go back to the stock plastic bellcrank setup....i don't know...anybody know about this......and if it is a good idea to remain with the stock plastic bellcrank or if its a good idea to leave the metal "GH" Bellcrank system?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I only used a bec to get 486 oz with 7.4 volts
    Did the gh come with a stronger spring? Maybe its too strong

RC Qualifier
    nope , i used the stock spring...yeah i think it is too strong....never thought it would be "too strong" for the setup..ive seen many people stick with the stock plastic bellcranks....i guess ill go back to the stock black plastic bellcrank

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Save it for when you get a stronger servo!

RC Champion
    I had the same problem with my stock servos and cheap alum gpm saver that would jam up. After replacing the gears in both of them twice i put the stock saver back in. Its weak but the gears havent broke since. On my other road maxx with single servo set up I used a GH servo saver, better design IMO but it still would still jam up in one direction. Solution,I took a .015 thick mylar washer spacerthat fit the o.d. of the saver,ovaled the hole in the center to fit when formed into the saver. I had to sandwitch the mylar washer in the saver with a little block of wood and alum spacer on the outsides so i didnt damage the saver and put it in a small vise crank it tight ,then heat it up with a torch good and hot but so hot that you melt the mylar washer. I melted the first one. and then left it in the vise overnight. The result a nice little sort off self lubricated washer to let the saver work in both directions smoothly and formed so that it locks into the center nicely.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, thanks for all the input. That sounds like a great idea EMAXXBRUSHLESS. I'll be using the stock black plastic servo bellcranks from here on out and will be selling my GH Silver Metal ones...they are too strong.......you live and you learn......

RC Champion
    I almost bought this one. It looks real nice and adjustable too. But dont know how well they work. Maybe someone else on here thats used one can put there two cents worth in.
    http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=TM3348X;c=647

RC Qualifier
    That one looks really nice, durable and adjustable, awesome! ...but then again...it might be too strong for the stock servos.....the last thing I would want when I finally have a titanium geared servo is to be out somewhere zooming and zinging along and have my stock plastic bellcrank break..........has anyone ever had a problem with the stock bellcrank breaking on them?