Thread: Boon's Build

RC poster

Boon's Build

I live in Red Deer Alberta.
    This is my first rc but not my first go around building a truck and modifying it to my taste.I've had my summit for about 3 weeks.

I've ran maybe three sets of lipos thru it. I wasn't overly satisfied with its performance BUT this was expected. I was originally going to buy an e-revo but do to my experience with full size 4x4s the summit's locking diffs and two speed tranny peeked my interest.

More or less building a ERBE/Summit hybrid. The speed of the revo and locking diffs of the summit.

Motor- 2200kv

Esc- MMM

Tires-Trenchers on Desperados, to be taped and balanced.

Body- modded HPI 2002 Dodge

Suspension- GPM aluminum steering block fr/rr and double orange springs fr/rr. Rest is stock for the time being.

Driveline- MIPs in the future, shimmed diffs. Also going to hot glu the diff carriers

Batts- 2x Orion 6400 2s 35c lipos and 2x Orion 4700 3s 45c lipos

Misc- Outwears cover, extra LEDs, bulkhead braces, RPM bumper mount

Steering- To be single servo, still planning.

Biggest complaint thus far
    Play in the wheel hubs.

Now I wait for parts to complete the brushless conversion and need to pick up some paint to finish the body. Also waiting on the trenchers.

Not much for pictures

Hub slop issue
    1) HPP hubs not cheap but work well by reports.
    2)The cheaper version (I did this to mine)it works just fine and the slop is almost completely eliminated
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8952788

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Looks cool love the matt color

RC Champion
    If you plan on crawling the mmm is not the best choice. You need a sensored brushless setup to crawl properly.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    If you plan on crawling the mmm is not the best choice. You need a sensored brushless setup to crawl properly.
    I second this. I would pit my Tekin against a brushed system anyday. Silky smooth.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC poster
    Not building a crawler, this truck is a pure basher. If I wanted a crawler I would have bought an axial.

The paint is krylon fusion flat black. Now before you guys go all preacher on me about not using poly paint let me explain. I sanded the entire outside of the body (minus windows) with a mix of 220 and 180 grit. Also got into all the small areas with my dremel. Total of three coats. On the inside of the body I will be using pactra in a silver metallic color. Reason being? When the truck is bashed and the krylon gets scratched the silver will show up underneath, looking much like scrape on a 1:1 truck.

Havn't picked up the pactra yet, reason being the white window masks are still on.

RC Qualifier
    Its unusual. I dig it. Job well done IMO
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

The paint is krylon fusion flat black. Now before you guys go all preacher on me about not using poly paint let me explain. I sanded the entire outside of the body (minus windows) with a mix of 220 and 180 grit. Also got into all the small areas with my dremel. Total of three coats. On the inside of the body I will be using pactra in a silver metallic color. Reason being? When the truck is bashed and the krylon gets scratched the silver will show up underneath, looking much like scrape on a 1:1 truck.
    I like that! By the way, cool Summit!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Boons View Post
    When the truck is bashed and the krylon gets scratched the silver will show up underneath, looking much like scrape on a 1:1 truck.
    That's a really neat idea (wish I thought of it), I think it's going on my to do list. Post pictures of it too. Thanks.
    Last edited by quagman9000; 01-19-2013 at 09:09 PM.

RC poster
    Got all my parts. Installed the mamba and took it for a rip on 4s.....clutch didn't like that. Ate the bearing and toasted the clutch. Clutch was not set properly I'm reckon. Tore up the spur gear too. Have an aluminum upgraded clutch to install when I get a new bearing. Any better clutch upgrades out there?

Also received my 3s batts and they don't seem to want to charge, charger keeps telling me the cells are to unbalanced or there is a dead cell. For giggles I plugged them into the mamba and it beeped 6 times, so I believe no cells are dead. How does one get cells back in proper order?

HPP hubs are ordered!

That looks like the slipper was maybe a bit loose.
    overheated and melted the spur allowing the bearing to move and get destroyed.chain reaction of carnage.
    Robinson racing makes a heavy duty slipper setup.others have modded a T maxx (I think it was) brake disk.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    TRAXXAS makes a HD slipper clutch rebuild kit. I have one on hand new in package so I can't give any first hand experience with it. pn-5352R

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    TRAXXAS makes a HD slipper clutch rebuild kit. I have one on hand new in package so I can't give any first hand experience with it. pn-5352R

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
    That's the one I currently have and other than the aluminum pads doesn't bring me to much confidence over the stock one. I need a new spur gear anyway so Robinson it is.

RC Qualifier
    how do you like your chassis outwear, im looking at getting one for the sand dunes

RC Qualifier
    Looking good!
    Hey I live in Red deer too ;D

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Competitor
    looks great so far Boon Glad to to see I am not the only Albertan runnin round on here lol.
    Don't take it out unless your going to use it.

RC poster
    What are you MMM guys running for spur/pinion gears? Yesterday running 18/68 my esc went up in flames... I have a Robinson 65t spur coming and I have 15 and 18 tooth pinion.

Hot/burning esc means over geared correct? Smaller pinion?

Shouldn't the esc shut itself down before burning up?

Going to wait till the new waterproof mambas to come out but till then I'll be running the 775.