Thread: TQ to TOi

RC Racer

TQ to TOi

I'm trying to replace the radio in my Sons digger with a TQi, I hooked it up and I got steering but no throttle, can't figure it out, also now the xl5 ecs is flashing green instead of solid red like it was.

also the steering is way too much to the left, I can't get it to stay straight when I let go of the wheel, it does turn right but not very much.

Any help? thank you

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like maybe the throttle setting on the remote isn't the same as the rx. I know on my minI summit, I use the 70/30 throttle setting. And all my other cars I use the 50/50 setting. If I forget to put it back to 70/30 when I run my summit, I get steering and no throttle. As for the servo, try taking the servo horn off, then turn the truck on, the servo should center itself, then reatatch the servo horn. Hopefully all will be fixed! That's my two cents.

Edit: almost forgot, recalibraring the esc should fix the throttle position problem if that's what it is. The manual will tell you everything you need to know to do it. Good luck!!
    Last edited by the finisher; 01-18-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    Thanks, I tried the 70/30 too, I have a new brushless set up on the bench and just for fun I hooked that up and it works perfect with that, I just can't get it to turn that brushed motor, I dunno, I have a motor mount and plate coming this week so I can put the brushless set up in so I'm just gonna wait till that comes, at least I know it works with that now.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe the motor is no good. Try disconnectung the motor wires and tape the leads to either end of a c cell batt. If it doesn't work, probly got a bad motor.
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    The motor still works with the old TQ radio, just put it back together and ran it for 10 mins out in the snow.

RC Qualifier
    Huh....did you recalibrate the esc?
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Is this a brand new tqi? Just curious, cause I had the throttle channel go out on a tqi reciever before. The steering channels worked fine, but the throttle channel didn't.
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Huh....did you recalibrate the esc?
    I don't know? lol, I did the thing where you hit the set button and turn the radio on, then hit the link button and turn the ecs on? it works perfectly with the new brushless set up, I just hooked it up and it worked, just not with the brushed motor, the motor mount should be here next week so I can put the brushless in and be done with it anyway, I know it works perfectly with that.

It is a brand new TQi that was taken off of a merv.

EDIT: by the way I figured I'd try two batts and a series connector just now because I don't really care what happens to that motor and ecs, I figured the xl5 could take it anyway for a few seconds, only ran it for about 30 seconds, that brushed rips pretty good on two
    Last edited by CHKMATE ELUDER; 01-18-2013 at 11:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    No that's just linking the tx and rx. I'm not sure on the brushed esc. But on the vxl3m I believe you turn the truck on. And with the transmitter on as well, hold down the power button on the esc untill it blinks red once, then pull throttle to full forward position, hold, it'll blink red twice then push to full reverse, hold then when it blinks three red, release to neutral. The esc will blink green then you should be good to go. I would still double check the manual, if you dont have one I think you can download it off the product page on the traxxas website. I may have the sequence of blinking and colors wrong. Lol but that's the process.
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    OK, thank you very much for the info, since it works great with the brushless motor and ecs already I think I'll leave it alone and wait for the motor mount to come, no sence making it work with the brushed now and changing it again on tuesday.

RC Qualifier
    Atta boy! Brushless is the way to go. The little summit brushless on 2s is a lot of fun! 3s you'll start breaking a arms and driveshafts. But still fun
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    yeah I'm still using nimh for now, 4 year old drives this truck most of the time, i think I'd like to try 2s on training mode and see if that would get him a better run time, also I'm looking at dropping the xl5 ecs that I'm taking out of this digger into my sons blast so it has reverse, I can only run 6 cell in the blast now, I should be able to run 7-8 cell in it now with the xl5 right? by wife's brother has some 7 and 8 cell that he doesn't use.

RC Qualifier
    The only thing I know about boats, is that I want one. Lol can't help you there. But yeah you should get way longer runtimes on training mode. The cool thing is, once you get a lipo, you can switch back and fourth fairly easily from training to sport mode so you guys can both drive it and have fun. I'm currently trying to get my six year old used to his stampede so he can go to sport mode. The first time he drove it, I left it in sport mode and it lasted about five minutes before he bounced it off a tree!
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    Cool, I'm amazed how tough these things are, my kids have hit lots of stuff and no damage, it's a blast playing with these toys with the kids, I always wanted R/C's like this as a kid but couldn't get them, now I'm reliving my child hood, lol, I'm learning fast that this hobby is addicting, I bought my 6 year old daughter a brushless merv last week and after the first run and seeing how it ripped we were on our way to the store to get the brushless set up for the digger, haha, now the kids each have a good one, I'm still debating what to buy myself, future shop has the stampede vxl 4x4 on sale for $319 and the slash for $349, this digger has been a money pit, paid way to much at LHS, $289, then a blown ecs and servo, then 4x4 and now brushless and 2.4 radio, I could have bought two brushless trucks for what I got in that thing, oh well it's all fun and now I know what to buy and not buy.
    Last edited by CHKMATE ELUDER; 01-19-2013 at 12:07 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, I got my ten year old a rustler for christmas same time the 6 year old got his stampede. Oh and bought dad a slash! Lol I'm in the same boat as you ( no pun intended). Reliving my childhood vicariously through the kids. Its a great way to get them off the video games and outside. By the way what is future store? I've seen that mentioned quite a bit lately.

By the way, get the slash. Mine's the 2wd but I put a castle sct 3800 combo in it and its a blast.
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    Future shop is the same company as the best buy that you US guy's have, they started selling traxxas about 3 months ago and prices are way lower than the LHS, 1/10 summit has been on since xmas for $499, I bought my daughters brushless merv for $255 from there and it was $430 at the LHS, they have sales every week on different models and parts, gotta check online as they don't mark it down on the store shelf, they had the mini digger on for $140 after xmas and the blast was only $120, my son's blast was $200 at LHS in oct, I'm loving that they started carrying traxxas stuff!

RC Qualifier
    a 2S lipo at 2200mah will run for a decent amount of time in regular mode. No sense using training mode. My son is 3 years 8 months and outgrew training mode in a month.

RC Racer
    My son does good with the brushed in regular mode, haven't tried him yet in brushless, next week I hope if the motor mount comes, he has no understanding that if he hits something and breaks it it costs money, lol, he drives that digger like he stole it, he makes me more nervous with the R/C than with his ATV.

He's kinda crazy for just turning 4, check these video's out, I can't believe how comfortable he his on his ATV, he's had it for a year now, makes me proud every time we go out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4zcHpAsHpY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6VbNFKvaOY

RC Qualifier
    Ahhaah. Theres a best buy right aroind the corner from where I live. This could get ugly! Lol
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Ahhaah. Theres a best buy right aroind the corner from where I live. This could get ugly! Lol
    My wife has already tried to ban me from there, haha

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CHKMATE ELUDER View Post
    My son does good with the brushed in regular mode, haven't tried him yet in brushless, next week I hope if the motor mount comes, he has no understanding that if he hits something and breaks it it costs money, lol, he drives that digger like he stole it, he makes me more nervous with the R/C than with his ATV.

He's kinda crazy for just turning 4, check these video's out, I can't believe how comfortable he his on his ATV, he's had it for a year now, makes me proud every time we go out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4zcHpAsHpY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6VbNFKvaOY
    That's awesome! ! I'd be proud too.
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    Thank you!