RC Champion

New Bearing Set for Snow and Water

Hey Folks,

i'm looking for a complete ball bearing set for my stampede 4x4 for running in snow and water.

Is it worth upgrading to a ceramic / stainless steel kit?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Last edited by soundmaster; 01-18-2013 at 04:00 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I was looking at some on eBay by boca. I think they were over $100. I think stainless would be worth it if you can afford it. If you decide to go that route then look at getting them with the rubber seals. I think the stainless bocas have yellow rubber seals. Jang on urc got some for his p4de to make it 100% waterproof. I am itching to pick up a set as well. Good luck.

Sent from Oser world

RC Champion
    Yes i've seen his "I has a Box" Video. But man these Bearings are soooooo expensive.

Thinking of just packing the Stock ones with grease for winter time

I've also seen that you can get a complete bearing kit from Yeah RacinG for the Price of almost one Boca bearing

http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-ba...?cPath=108_767

Probably it's better to just buy the cheapest Bearings you can get and replace them more often.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 01-18-2013 at 07:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Yup. Cheap bearings are a buck a piece. I havent checked the spec on ceramic ,but stainless rusts just like any other steel.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    You dont want to put grease in your bearings. Grease in the bearings will cause more rolling resistance which will cause the electronics to heat up more, wear grooves in the stub axles and make the truck slower. The colder the weather, the thicker the grease will become and the effects will just get worse. It would be like putting the old brass bushings back in. All I ever run in the winter (lots of winter here) is Traxxas rubber sealed bearings, just check em every couple of runs to make sure they are still rolling freely and ensure that the seal is intact. they can be bought from eBay chop shops for dirt cheap so just replace when necessary. They last quite a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    ok i decided to stay with the stock bearings and for protection just put a ring of grease on them. so which bearings are the most critical (most exposed)?

what about the bearings in the steering system?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    ok i decided to stay with the stock bearings and for protection just put a ring of grease on them. so which bearings are the most critical (most exposed)?

what about the bearings in the steering system?
    The rear wheel bearings have the shortest life due to the stress and speed put on them. The steering bearings last a very long time. They only go back and forth and never make a rotation.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    You dont want to put grease in your bearings. Grease in the bearings will cause more rolling resistance which will cause the electronics to heat up more, wear grooves in the stub axles and make the truck slower. The colder the weather, the thicker the grease will become and the effects will just get worse. It would be like putting the old brass bushings back in. All I ever run in the winter (lots of winter here) is Traxxas rubber sealed bearings, just check em every couple of runs to make sure they are still rolling freely and ensure that the seal is intact. they can be bought from eBay chop shops for dirt cheap so just replace when necessary. They last quite a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Ive been putting grease in my bearings for 7 years with no problems. I use the red and tacky grease, and they roll just fine. even when left out in the cold. None of my trucks have grooves in the axles, and they roll just fine. When you originally put grease in the bearings they do roll a bit harder, but after they are in the truck and are run for a few min the excess grease is moved to the side and they roll like normal. Id love to see anyone prove that greased bearings in a truck increase rolling resistance.

traxxas bearings come with grease in them btw, and so do all boca bearings.

I agree traxxas bearings are the way to go, but unless you want them to rust from the wet conditions you will need to pack them with waterproof grease. I grease mine at the beginning of the winter, and they are fine through the next year. I end up replacing bearings after about 2 years and hundreds of packs, but they never lock up, they are simply slopped out from wear. My 7 year old savage still has original bearings in it, and that has seen 7 winters of driving, with grease in the bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ Jeep Guy View Post
    Id love to see anyone prove that greased bearings in a truck increase rolling resistance.
    Seriously???

RC Champion
    I also applied this method of putting grease into the bearing on my Mini Revo VXL and never had any issues. The bearings lasted for about 2 years.

I used Ultra Performance Synthetic Grease originally from my mounten bike.

I think it's a matter of conviction

RC Racer
    Seriously???
    Yes, I am. Theres a lot of people that claim greasing bearings is bad and it will damage your truck. I have never seen this happen, and if people are going to be saying it does, they need to prove it.

I will say this, if i leave my trucks out in the garage overnight when its quite cold out, everything freezes up and they need to be warmed up. However, you shouldnt run them when theyre that cold anyways, electronics are not meant to be used when they are that cold. Thats how receivers and servos are damaged.

Im not saying that greasing the bearings is a bad thing, but many who read these posts may be running the stock brushed titan 12t motor. Grease can be just as good as oil when the *correct type and amount* is used, but if someone running the titan decides to pack all the trans and wheel bearings with some walmart all purpose hd grease (does walmart even sell grease? Lol) before going out for a bash in the snow, it likely wont end very well. I realize that the boca (except full ceramics or if customer wants the bearings shipped without grease) and traxxas bearings have grease in them, but they are not packed full so the grease breaks in quickly and easily, but the author of the thread asked for bearings/bearing lubrication specifically for running in the snow/water which would mean the bearings are going to be subjected to the cold which in turn creates more resistance. The same resistance from grease is also an issue in the transmission as well, this is why it is recommended to use only a light coating of thin grease on the gears or it will translate to heat at the motor/esc. The one place that the resistance caused by grease is used to our advantage is in the differential where the thicker grease gives a more limited slip action which provides more traction while still allowing the benefits of the differential in cornering and anti-rollover.

As for the electronics, yes the moisture can be bad for the servo, motor and receiver and steps to air out and dry these electronics will need to be taken regularly to ensure longevity. The vxl-3s esc circuit board should not be affected by moisture as it is fully potted in epoxy which allows for no air or space between the epoxy and the circuit board where moisture could accumulate. However, the wiring and connections will corrode if proper post-run cleaning/drying steps aren't taken.

The oil/grease debate will never yield a victor, and therefore it becomes the users decision on which route to take. These days there are a lot more suitable and extremely effective choices for bearing grease, but cost becomes a big factor. The same goes for oils. But for whichever the op chooses to use, the viscosity of either one will always play a factor in the rolling resistance of the bearing and thinner/lighter will always be faster with less resistance (full ceramics run completely dry with nearly no rolling resistance)....unless the driving power (i.e. motor) has unlimited output.

You gotta admit that the oil/grease debate is a good one though, it just has no end! Its all about the intended application.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 01-21-2013 at 01:20 AM.

RC Champion
    You gotta admit that the oil/grease debate is a good one though, it just has no end! Its all about the intended application.
    That's right.