RC Enthusiast

Black and Decker 18v, capacitors needed for evx-2?

I have a 18v electric skill saw motor that I'm putting in my summit.
    The manual says I need to put on the included capacitors,
    if the motor doesn't have any. Has anyone had luck without them?
    Or should I not be lazy and solder them on? Lol
    Surprisingly the mounting holes line up on the factory motor mount/heatsink,
    and the screws are the same thread, even the pressed on B&D gear is the same pitch as the spur!
    Any advice to make this work the best it can is greatly appreciated!

RC Champion
    If you have the 2.4 ghz radio sys then you dont need capacitors. But if you have friends who have am radio sys then they will hate you for the interference. No capacitors with an am sys will limit your range to around 20 feet with a lot of glitching. No capacitors needed on the evx.

BUT

That 18volt DeWalt on the 4s (16.8 volt) lipo stock evx system will be slower than grandma driving a Yugo in the snow.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    Ha ha! I do have the AM radio, so capacitors it is! I got a little anxious and hooked it all up,
    and ran it, it was actually quicker than the Titan but top speed seems about the same.
    Didn't have any glitches but may have just been lucky.
    Gonna experiment with other pinions and see how the temperatures go. I have an extra older evx-2,
    without LVD so I'm gonna try it on 5s and see how it goes, with a lipo alarm of course lol.
    Thanks for the input, definitely wanna keep my buddies happy about it, except for me being faster than them!

RC Champion
    what size pinion came ou the black and decker? (# of teeth) . getting near stock speed is fairly good.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    Its a 14 tooth, the teeth are a little deep but a slight bid of filing knocked em down to where it should be.
    Gonna solder on the capacitors shortly and will report back on how it goes

RC Enthusiast
    Forgot to mention, its a cordless skill saw motor, tried one out of a drill but the pinion was a 12 tooth. Plus the saw motor is about a half inch in diameter bigger than the Titan and a quarter inch longer. Very tight fit but it will go in!

RC Enthusiast
    Tried the motor out earlier after putting on the capacitors, With two 2s 30C lipo's I can spin all 4 tires for about a foot upon full throttle take off. And compared to my buddies factory summit on the same batteries, I would say I gained about 3-5 mph top speed with factory gearing!

RC Racer
    I'd love to see a video, I used an 18volt Dewalt drill motor, on 6s with Mamba Monster esc and a 25 t pinion and 52 spur, and got low low speed, but super torque.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatal

RC Enthusiast
    My video on my phone doesn't work but I will try to post one from my wife's phone, the saw motor is a higher rpm motor than the drill but with it being so large it still has awesome torque!