RC Enthusiast

2 brand new slayer pros fresh outta the box!

Hi Guys!
    New to Traxxas, new to the forums.
    Bought my son a Slayer Pro 4x4 for his birthday, and figured I better get one for myself too!!
    They just arrived this afternoon on UPS and we spent an hour or so reading through the manuals and getting things ready to go.
    Once we had the batteries in the controllers and the cars we set the cars on the floor to check out the steering controls, and the pitman arm on my sons car fell off the steering servo!
    On my car the arm linkage has a bolt through it that threads into the threads in the white plastic output shaft on the servo motor, which prevents the pitman arm from coming off (which would be a bad thing!)
    I figured the guy who assembled Jesse's car just forgot to put a bolt in, but looking into the end of Jesse's servo output I couldn't see any threads. Soooo, I pulled the bolt out of mine to see if it would thread into his, and sure enough...no threads so it wouldn't go in.
    No race gas fumes for us tonight!
    I robbed one of the four bolts on what appears to be an inspection plate mounted on the chassis and am going to see if I can find a tap that small tomorrow. If not, I'm just going to get a cheapo self-tapping screw in there!
    Anyhow, still way stoked on the cars and can't wait until tomorrow afternoon to get the engines broken in.
    A couple of questions.... Are the new air filters really pre-oiled from the factory? Seems like maybe a thin film of some kind of oil is on them, but not sticky like the S.W.A.F.F oil I use on our dirtbikes. Wondering if I should just wash and oil them before running the engines?
    Next question is how long do the batteries last in the quick start before needing a re-charge?
    Last question; I just have this feeling that we're going to snap parts on this thing. "A" arms, tie-rods, shocks, etc.
    Where's the best source for "THE" replacement upgrades? I'd like to get them here before we actually need them!!
    Thanks,
    Dave

RC Champion
    WELCOME DAVE AND SON!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!

You're going to find that you will have a "Hoot" with those cars! I built one from a revo platform and I just love it!
    First, the screw, there should be one there. If the threads arent there - the screw will self tap into it. Unless the screw just falls into the hole - no need to tap. Just go slow
    Next, Yes, if you grab the filter, you'll get a fine amount of oil on your fingers. If not, may as well oil her up. No sense in chancing it. Please for the love of all that is holy, make sure you keep the filter washed and clean. hardest thing I have ever tried, tuning a dirty filter.
    Next, You're going to find, well I should say, you're not going to find many upgrades to the slayer. None really needed. Its a tough truck and If you break something, check to see if the Revo 3.3 parts will work...its the same chassis.
    Lastly, your battery should last a few hours of use...unless you just keep the button smashed. I charge mine every week or two - yea, I don't run that often. But, If you have it tuned, close...you will have no trouble using your ez-start wand through out the whole day.

Have a great time and do yourself a favor - read the manual over and over. I find stuff every time I read mine. Someone once recommended, "put it in the bathroom next to the throne"....yup - it works! The break-in process is VERY important, don't short cut yourself. I assume you have motorcycles so you already understand the business, don't get flustered, tuning these little guys is an art....one that even I have yet to fully grasp.

Congrats once more and welcome to the addiction
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 01-17-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: I'm old and I forgot something

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Red!
    Well, that screw may be hiding in some nook or cranny but we sure couldn't find it today!
    I don't think it will hold us up too much though.
    And yes, we'll keep the filters clean. We ride two stroke dirt bikes so I know the score on that one. Think I'll order two or three spares for each car so we'll always have enough on hand to get us through an afternoon.
    You know, I'd swear I ordered air filter oil and after run oil when I ordered the cars.....but turns out I didn't.
    Is WD40 good enough or should I get the after run oil? Or maybe just use light machine oil? Got lots of Marvel Mystery oil on hand.
    Glad to hear these trucks are tough, we're kinda hard on things around here!
    Can't wait to get them broken in, tuned and screaming. On the you-tube videos I've seen they sound like F1 cars...love it!
    30,000 r.p.m.'s? I get goosebumps just thinking about it
    Assuming an engine has been taken care of properly, about how many hours do you get out of one before you need a rebuild?
    Dave

RC Competitor
    wd-40 works just fine. its what ive always used for after run.
    revo 3.3 tmaxx 3.3 ofna hyper 7

Air filter oil is expensive, I've used the K&N air filter cleaning/oiling kit for my filters with great results. Used it ever since I've started this hobby a few years ago.
    Usage of nitro engines is typically measured in gallons. With proper care, your first engine may last 4-6 gallons; maybe longer if you pick up the tuning of the engine pretty quickly. A tank typically lasts 10-15 minutes, there is roughly 25 tanks in a gallon....
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Good deal, thanks guys.
    We got those engines broken in today and all I can say is...DANG!
    Talk about quick and fast.
    I had to de-tune them (running them a little fat/rich) so we can keep the rubber side down.
    I'll re-tune tomorrow when we go to a big field where we have a little more room to run.
    They're thirsty little things. We ran three quarts through them today. We only have one hobby shop here in the county and they only carry "O'Donnell's" brand, so I guess we'll do the old "Pepsi challenge" and see how that fuel stacks up against the traxxas brand this weekend.
    Think I'll be looking into adding the swaybars to cut down on the rollovers too.

RC Competitor
    I would keep using the O'Donnell fuel, I use it and I'm really happy with it and my run times are like 20? min.