RC Qualifier

Buying some new upgrades

Either today or tomorrow I'll be going to my local hobby shop to buy a lipo batt. and upgraded charger and possibly velineon 3500 and velineon vxl-3s I'm looking to spend $260-$300 for all this any suggestions on lipo batteries and chargers that are good but not too expensive

RC Qualifier
    2s venom 5000mah is plenty of power. 3s lipo puts to much stress on everything. get a 2s lipo and a traxxas charger i think its $90 or something and the vxl system and your good to go. get a wheelie bar if u dont have one!!!!!
    SLASHING UP WITH MY PEDE

RC Qualifier
    alright cool

RC Qualifier
    Meh, get a castle sidewinder SCT 4 pole setup and go for a 3 cell battery from SPC.

For a charger, just get a nice one that doesn't break the bank.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    yea I was trying to get the vxl setup cause the power up deal so it would only be 130$ that way I have more room to get a nice battery and charger

RC Qualifier
    Sell off the brushed system and good to go ;D
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    alright im going to look into that

Don't for get the 3800kv 4 pole is a amp hog,needing and using a high amp lipo,at least 5000mah 40c rating,yes they will run on less,but not as well running mine on a 35c thunder power,then a 65c thunder power,is like going from a 2s to a 3s,and you don't need a 3s imo,your way better off with the velineon system.
    The main difference between the two,is torque,and they have to be side by side to really notice that,the v system is easier to use,water proof,will run on 2s or 3s,the sct esc 3800 of comparable price,doesn't really like 3s,not that you need 3s thou.
    I now have three velineons,and two castle systems,the castle's are far more programmable,but you'll find your self saying it,more than using it.The vel's have a two stage lvd shut down,first you drop to 50% power,so you can drive it back,if you want, to long it shuts down completely.The castle shuts down like an on off switch.
    All in all my velineon systems get twice the use of the castle systems.
    If your new to the hobby the velineon is the only way to go,for chargers the onxy 235 for $89 is a good bet,it will charge everything from you car to your cell phone,has a plug for your transmitter,if so equipped,and is firmware update able,imo one of its best fetchers.
    One more thing,I would keep the xl-5 and titan,you never know whats to come,I used mine to up grade one of my grandson's earlier rc's,you might save $40 in the trade,but try to buy a xl-5 and titan for that, new it cant be done.
    Good luck,and enjoy the hobby.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    thanx for some good advice I've also been looking into it and I'm going with the velineon system

RC Qualifier
    used my buddies vxl for the day and i thought worlds of it, the same day at the track i tried the cc 1410 which is the 3800kv
    with sv2 esc and after programming it i forgot about the vxl i used that day. i ran both off a lipo from hobbypeople with only
    25c 5000mah and they both ran for a solid 35-40 minutes on the track. once you program the esc and you find what you like
    you will not go back and adjust it. both will make you happy, i just like the cc more and it ran far cooler then the vxl around
    15-20 degrees.

RC Qualifier
    well I have my final decision and I'm going with the velineon system for my first slash, tax returns are coming soon and I plan on picking up a new truck so I'll try something different with that

I believe the 1410 is the older 2pole 38ookv,I'm not positive,the 1410/1y is the four pole.Don't hold me to that,I know the car guy said he had an older 3800 2 pole,still a top notch motor.
    Like I said I have three of one, two of the other,it's just imo,the velineon is a more user friendly system.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDonJuan View Post
    used my buddies vxl for the day and i thought worlds of it, the same day at the track i tried the cc 1410 which is the 3800kv
    with sv2 esc and after programming it i forgot about the vxl i used that day. i ran both off a lipo from hobbypeople with only
    25c 5000mah and they both ran for a solid 35-40 minutes on the track. once you program the esc and you find what you like
    you will not go back and adjust it. both will make you happy, i just like the cc more and it ran far cooler then the vxl around
    15-20 degrees.

Make that three and three,just bought another 3800kv sct system.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I believe the 1410 is the older 2pole 38ookv,I'm not positive,the 1410/1y is the four pole.Don't hold me to that,I know the car guy said he had an older 3800 2 pole,still a top notch motor.
    Like I said I have three of one, two of the other,it's just imo,the velineon is a more user friendly system.
    I think you are right. I have the 1y. It's a good upgrade for the slash. I would have been happy with the the vxl as well. It's personal preference. But I got it at a good price and I still have my stock 12t.
    Last edited by TheDonJuan; 01-18-2013 at 05:26 PM.

That's a good idea,I kept my xl-5 and titan also,it was one of my grandsons first upgrades on his circuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDonJuan View Post
    I think you are right. I have the 1y. It's a good upgrade for the slash. I would have been happy with the the vxl as well. It's personal preference. But I got it at a good price and I still have my stock 12t.

The SCT is rated for 2s max,but will take 3s,just take the motor fan,and but it on the esc.But i assure you, you wont need or want the 3s
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    Meh, get a castle sidewinder SCT 4 pole setup and go for a 3 cell battery from SPC.

For a charger, just get a nice one that doesn't break the bank.

RC Qualifier
    The 1410 is a 4pole. Great motor. Castle has the SV3 esc out now which is waterproof too. I ran mine for the first time today and am really, really super excited about it. Got it for $56 shipped on ebay. I have it paired with the 4600kv 4 pole and 40c 3s lipo. Ambient temps were 75 today and I only hit 120 degrees on the motor while running in the sand, geared 56/12. I can't wait to go out again!
    I Wanna Go Fast!

WOW great price,sounds like you got,a fast clean traxxas racing machine!
    The 4 poles run cooler,from my limited experience,around 15 to 20 degrees,that;s a lot in rc world.

RC Qualifier
    Just bought the velineon system and ran it today with stock gearing it was a little faster in top speed but way faster off the line. compared to the stock titan.

A little faster?You should have gained 10+mph,what type of battery are you using?
    Maybe you just need more time with it,mine was night and day,if your running a low amp battery,like a 25c or something,maybe that's it?Any of my three will wheelie on command,at speeds of 20 + mph,that's with a 35c 2s thunder power lipo,but still.

RC Qualifier
    A little faster?You should have gained 10+mph,what type of battery are you using?
    Maybe you just need more time with it,mine was night and day,if your running a low amp battery,like a 25c or something,maybe that's it?Any of my three will wheelie on command,at speeds of 20 + mph,that's with a 35c 2s thunder power lipo,but still.
    I have a hobbypeople Lipo 5000mah 35c and it won't wheelie on command. Stock gearing and no adjustments to the slipper. It does squat under the torque. Maybe a good Lipo will make it wheelie. But then its going to be a pain on the track. Also have the big bores set for maximum traction.

RC Qualifier
    stock battery, it gained 5mph, but huge difference in punch, no lipos yet.
    Last edited by Rc_REV; 01-19-2013 at 06:35 PM.

RC Qualifier
    on the titan i had a 24mph run on gps and 29mph on velineon.

On the track i run my slipper3/4 plus turn's out,with my velineons,With my castle's and Robinson set up,I start at 1 and 1/4 out,and adjust from there,The Robinson slipper plate is about 1/8 inch thick,and one solid piece,it can take a lot more heat.
    And i went to a lighter shock oil weight in the rear.
    Your tires can make a difference you wont believe,as this is true with anything needing to connect to any surface,but I learned what a difference the tires can make on these little rc's.with stock tires a slash it very hard to wheelie,they weren't made for that.But the right tires and shock set up,its not hard to bring the front end up,But then its not good for much else.

Something is holding your truck back,your getting titan performance from a brush less system.
    My first slash went from about 20+ mph to 40+ mph with the 19 to 86 gearing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    on the titan i had a 24mph run on gps and 29mph on velineon.

RC Qualifier
    Something is holding your truck back,your getting titan performance from a brush less system.
    My first slash went from about 20+ mph to 40+ mph with the 19 to 86 gearing
    im using a stock nihm battery with stock 19/90 gearing. is that the difference or am i messing something up

Your not messing anything up,but the NiMh is your problem,That velineon system wants lipo power.
    First be sure you have a good lipo charger,Then go get imo,a 2s 40c lipo,I have heard for the price SPC makes a good product for the price,but I was told by them ,you can only get them over the internet,so they can keep their price down.
    I run one Reedy 2s 65c,one venom 2s 30c,one 3s speedway 30c,and twenty one 2s thunder power's ranging from 35c to 65c
    you put 23tooth pinion 86 tooth spur 2s 35c thunder power,with the right tires,at 20mph the truck will wheelie when you punch it.T[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    This truck has been gps at 72 mph(not recommended)and not with 23 86 gearing.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-20-2013 at 03:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thats next on the list but, probably next month.

That's just one of my boys.[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    very nice -- n also thanks for the info