Thread: New VXL system

RC Qualifier

New VXL system

Got my vxl system today for 135$ running on Venom 2s 5000mah 25c a lot more power then my stock ran it just street today going to the trails tomorrow and see what it can do also any suggestions on heatsinks and fans the temp is really starting to pick up over here so I want to keep my system as cool as possible

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    Got my vxl system today for 135$ running on Venom 2s 5000mah 25c a lot more power then my stock ran it just street today going to the trails tomorrow and see what it can do also any suggestions on heatsinks and fans the temp is really starting to pick up over here so I want to keep my system as cool as possible
    What gear do you use and how fast does it go? And how much are the batteries?

RC Qualifier
    right now I have in the stock slash 16 pinion and 90 spur cause tomorrow morning I'm bringing it to the trails but within a few days I'm going to try the 23 pinion and 85 spur on pavement I picked up my battery at my local hobby shop around 40$ I'm not sure the speed but I believe it's around 40mph and I heard lipos have to go through a few charges before full potential

RC Racer
    I have an integy heatsink/fan, i know integy is usually bad but their heatsink/fan has worked great for me! I run 3s lipo on the vxl system and had no troubles this past summer. I also geared it down, think 19/86. I run in real short grass and dirt, helps keep temps down.
    Edit: posted a pic of my heatsink/fan set up but it says another companys name, imagine thats a no no? Strict here dont wanna get in trouble...

RC Qualifier
    I've been looking into integy also is there a way to run heatsink/fan on the motor and the velineon fan on the esc going to start looking into different gearing as well but till then stuck with the 2 sets that come with the slash

If your off road on the trails stay around 16-90,and get a heat temp gun,if the motor gets over 160 degrees Fahrenheit,that's traxxas said limit,let it cool a bit, 200 degrees is pushing it,but at 16-90 you should be fine,imo stay away from 3s,or your temps will rise rapidly,and on the trails you'll be breaking things right and left,that's to much power,especially for off road.
    Run a 2s 50c and you'll have all the fun in the world,If you have to get the 3s bug out of your system(like i did),do it on a hard surface somewhere.
    90% of the people saying run3s,are kids,the other 10% are long time hobbyist that have good throttle control and experience.I bought, and still have ,one 3s,it was my first battery,i now have 24 lipos,and one,the original,3s.Why only one 3s? out of 24?because I wanted to drive my truck,have fun,and not have to fix it all the time.Your truck, your repair bill.
    Hope you have fun,keep that 16-90 gearing on the trails.
    But I am a bit confused,the stock brushed slash,came stock with 19-90 gears,and 23-86,for speed.
    the vxl brush less came with different stock gears,as the motor had far more power.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-20-2013 at 01:39 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    I've been looking into integy also is there a way to run heatsink/fan on the motor and the velineon fan on the esc going to start looking into different gearing as well but till then stuck with the 2 sets that come with the slash
    I run velineon fan on esc and then the motor fan off my reciever
    I also run nothing but 3s and dont break too many things... It is about throttle control... And not running into things!
    Last edited by jem450r; 01-20-2013 at 01:54 AM.

You still haven't told me of a legit track 1/10 scale,that will let you run 3s,in a real race,not practice.
    I'm 53 years old,been running real cars in the 8 second bracket all my life,I understand throttle control,and agree with you.
    But you have still failed to answer my question.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    You still haven't told me of a legit track 1/10 scale,that will let you run 3s,in a real race,not practice.
    I'm 53 years old,been running real cars in the 8 second bracket all my life,I understand throttle control,and agree with you.
    But you have still failed to answer my question.
    Um i said nothing about a track... Nor did the OP or even you till now... Ive never ran a race... I run backyard track(mowed short grass or a homemade dirt track) or just bash it... I run nothing but a 3s 50c lipo, and rarely break anything... Throttle control and steering in a real car have nothing to do with how you do with a RC, or we'd lower the age limit on drivers...

Im simply answering the OPs questions... I know in his other post he talked of getting a 3s, feel free to open another thread

RC Qualifier
    honestly I think I'll be happy with 2s on the trails over here more 3s for high speed runs on pavement yes I've seen people using a temp gun I'll probably invest in 1 eventually but for sure getting a heatsink and a fan soon and going to start building for durability I looked at it closer and from help on a recent post I did find out I slightly bent a shock shaft not that bad though appreciate all the advice

RC Qualifier
    90% of the people saying run3s,are kids,the other 10% are long time hobbyist that have good throttle control and experience.I bought, and still have ,one 3s,it was my first battery,i now have 24 lipos,and one,the original,3s.Why only one 3s? out of 24?because I wanted to drive my truck,have fun,and not have to fix it all the time.Your truck, your repair bill.
    Exactly how I feel! I see some cars at the track that are out of control missiles with only 2s anyway.

In the past it was difficult and expensive to make an over powered RC car. Nowadays power is nearly free and it seems like lots of people in the hobby can't contain themselves and to many the norm is a car that can do standing back flips and rip the tyres off the rims with a blip of the throttle.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. But two things one I still maintain it isn't for everyone... And secondly overpowered cars can spoil it for everyone at the track. Just yesterday I decided that I wouldn't race in my local "outlaw" (no limits) on road class anymore as it isn't fun. Being taken out by an out of control pan car over and over is really not fun. Specially as it ended up with my car's chassis breaking.

Will be sticking to off road where the local participants seem far more able to restrain the themselves power and throttle wise.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    At the track.. I'm like a bull in a china shop. I use way too much throttle when I don't need it and not enough when I need it.. When I'm out bashing, I can control it just how I want to, probably something to do with the better grip and small layout.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    But I am a bit confused,the stock brushed slash,came stock with 19-90 gears,and 23-86,for speed.
    the vxl brush less came with different stock gears,as the motor had far more power.
    thats because he bought VXL Brushless and put it in a brushed truck
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

Yea i know,but he said 16-90,I never heard of a slash coming stock with a 16 tooth pinion.
    He's probably like me and doesn't proof reed his posts.
    no big deal.

RC Qualifier
    never seen a 16 pinion ....... and look who came back Cobiispo asking how fast and how much
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

I meant stock,out of the box with a 16 tooth pinion.Heck my 48p pinions, go from 12 to 36,spurs,from 73 to 90. But my 32p are just one 56 spur,and 12-18 pinion.But that's all Robinson 32p hardened steel.The 48p is all traxxas.
    And I saw are buddy was back,last night.Hope I don't live within a thousand miles from him,when he get a real license.
    At least I hope um getting to know more.
    Did they sell a box stock slash,with a 16 tooth pinion?

RC Qualifier
    yes I'm positive it's a stock 16 pinion and 90 spur even double checked

That,s new to me,box stock was 19-90,with an optional 23-86 for speed,I guess they changed something for some reason.
    I will have look into that,Now a 4x4 would be different.
    But a right out of the box 2wd slash with 16-90 gearing would be new to me.

RC Qualifier
    yea I don't know much about the gearing different slashes come with but that's what I got along with the 23-86

Probable Friday, and they had two hundred more to make,and someone said,hey where out of 19 tooth pinions.
    So the boss said that's OK, put 16 tooth pinions in them,no one will ever know.
    In the long run,you come out better,there only $4.99,then you'll have 16,19,and23,plus the extra spur.

RC Qualifier
    alright so the 19t pinion is better than my 16

Just a bit faster than the 16 tooth,but not as much torque.I got 12 tooth pinions,for low speed high power situation's.
    And 36 tooth pinions for speed.
    My castle geared at 13p 56 spur,that's 32pitch has a top speed of about 25mph,but on a short coarse track,I'll never get close to that speed.The velineon is pretty much as powerful as the castle 3800 4 pole,the 4 pole just has a bit more torque,and because of that,seems to run a bit cooler.In my experience anyway.
    Even thou now I have three of each,I still find myself running the velineons more than the castle's.
    The castle performs better with a higher out put battery, as a rule I use a 2s 65c with my castle's
    The velineons do fine on 35c,so will the castle,but but a 65c in the castle,it's a hole different motor,imo.
    I have heard,don't know for fact,the velineon's pull around 65 continuous amps,the castle closer to 140 continuous amps.
    only about 25% of my lipos are 50 to 65c rated,maybe that why I tend to run the velienons more.