Thread: Whos got it?

RC Qualifier

Whos got it?

Hey guys i was just wondering who has this truck? I am considering purchasing it. also if you can pics please!

RC Enthusiast
    Got one a few weeks ago, and I've done a few mods. I can post pics of it, but Winter weather has kept me from driving it.

I can post pics of it
    Please do! I havn't seen any pictures from reall people!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    haha wolfslash same!

RC poster
    Hello everyone! I bought mine last Saturday and couldn't break it in until yesterday, the thermometer was finally reading 62 and I decided that it was time to break it in... So I got it broke in yesterday and also got a little normal running time in too. I also managed to run about a quart and a half through it today. So far I am extremely pleased with it, I'm not doing any racing, just some bashing with my kiddo. I've rolled it on road and off road a good 20+ times at speeds up to 30-40mph and still no broken parts, so the durablity is there. The onboard batteries (receiver batteries?) don't last long, maybe an hour tops and when they go it takes off on it's own ( I guess that's why I does that )! So now I'm in the habit of changing them around 45 minutes of run time.
    The suspension seems pretty good out of the box, the only thing I did was add a spacer to the rear shocks, the tires were riding a little close to the body and I wanted some more clearance. The 3.3 is also very thirsty... If you like short course nitro trucks that are out of control - stupid fast, and tons of fun this just might be the truck for you! I always like things like my cars and motorcycles as fast as I can get them so I like this truck! I can't wait to get some more time in tomrrow... Hope this helps anyone looking at buying one and if you have anymore questions just ask!

Enjoy!
    James

RC Enthusiast
    I had the runaway happen, too, and I'm not real pleased about it. Fortunately it was when I was in a left turn and it was only about 30 minutes of run time. The servos got very glitchy and went away quickly. Smacked a curb and put a gouge in the skid plate and suspension arm. It's supposed to have a fail-safe to prevent runaways, but I know what my next upgrade is going to be. In the house with the truck not running the radio was fine even after the runaway, so not sure what is up. A real fail-safe is going in soon, and as soon as I get some extra cash the piece of crap radio system is getting an upgrade, most likely with a high output traxxas link system.

RC poster
    Maxximvs, what is the runaway fail safe upgrade you speak of? I'm fairly new to the hobby so I'm not sure what you're talking about. It seemed like when the batteries went downhill that's when it happened... I'd like to hear more thoughts on this and some possible fixes if anyone has any ideas. It's not a real good feeling to see your truck go screaming out of control.

RC Enthusiast
    2.4 Ghz radios usually have a built in fail-safe that returns the throttle to the neutral position if there is strong interference or if the signal is lost. The owner's manual says this system does. Before I ran my truck I tried it, and it worked.

Turn on your tx and then your rx with the truck not running. Pull the throttle wide open, hold it there, and while doing so tune the power off on the transmitter. The throttle servo should return to the idle position.

Apparently something with this new TQ isn't working right. A was reading in the electric Sladh forum that someone else has the same problem. I have no idea what's causing it, but I suggest that we all call Traxxas on Monday. They can't help us fix a problem unless they know the problem exists.

RC poster
    My brother and dad each bought nitro trucks. After driving them i immediately went to the local hobby shop. I ended up going with the nitro slash. After doing a bit more research i wondered if i made a mistake not going with the nitro slayer. Parts wise i think the slash is a little more cheaply put together then the slayer ex: non water proof servos, phillips hardware, plastic tuned pipe, suspension, etc. But after driving this beast im more then stoked on it! I broke it in a a empty church parking lot (a big one) and when i came to last take (full throttle for 5 seconds) i quickly realized i needed a lot more running space! This thing is absurdly fast in my opinion. It does take some finesse with all that power and 2-wheel drive... but its a blast! Here in Utah its all snow. The pavement is just now drying out from the last storm so i have only used it on pavement (thats not to say I havent launched it in to the accasional snow bank. I have made some upgrades to mine. I replaced the stock plastic shocks with traxxas big bore shocks. I replaced the stock plastic pipe with a traxxas dual chamber resonator pipe (I dont think it will make much difference preformance wise seeing as the stock pipe is also dual chamber, but it looks better ) i also water proofed the stock servos with plasti dip. I havent had any running away problems as mentioned above (knock on wood). Anyways, thats my current set up and im very happy with it! Its good to have another hobby i can completly nerd out on
    [IMG]/Users/treu7/Pictures/photo.JPG[/IMG][IMG]/Users/treu7/Pictures/photo.JPG[/IMG][IMG]/Users/treu7/Pictures/photo.JPG[/IMG][IMG]/Users/treu7/Pictures/photo.JPG[/IMG]

RC poster
    Ive got some pics of the truck and upgrades but obviously i don't know what I'm doing... how do get the pic to show?

RC Racer
    don't have one yet but have a nitro rustler,with this is base and i have several other nitro vehicles,put a medical rubber around your carb neck and throttle linkage and will close the carb but works the servo a little more

RC Qualifier
    hey ttreu look at the tool bar above the typing box and look for the picture sign ant it says Image and click it and insert the url and then when you post the post up it will show.

RC Qualifier
    oops double post but look here ttrue http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ting-Tutorial.
    Last edited by vwbug; 01-20-2013 at 08:44 PM.

RC poster

Last edited by Double G; 01-21-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: pictures

^^Edited your post. With PB you cannot copy the url from the bar, you have to click on the "Share to other services" link and copy the IMG url.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Nice ttreu! I like the pipe and shocks. I know what I'll be buying Friday! Does the nitro slash use the e slash shocks or slayer / nitro rustler? Also what model is the pipe for? I haven't seen a section on any websites with just nitro slash parts and from what I understand the nitro slash uses parts from the slash and rustler... I also felt like I had made a mistake after I bought mine and started doing some reading but I'm like you after I got to break it in and run it, it's been a blast! The only thing that bothers me about it is when it does it's little runaway trick, which it did again yesterday. I guess the servo isn't returning all the way when the batteries die, I plan on calling Traxxas tomorrow and seeing what they say about it...

RC poster
    The shocks i put on it are traxxas big bore shocks (parts #5862). The pipe is the traxxas resonator for the Jato and N Rustler (part#5485). Im still getting familiar with mine and nitro in general but without the body this is almost identical to the Rustler and i believe it does share many of the same parts as the E slash. I havent had the runaway problem with mine (fingers crossed!). I tested the fail safe by turning on the controller and truck (without starting the engine), holding the throttle open and then turning off the controller. when i did this the servo automatically closed carburetor. I actually just broke my first part! I was doing the final tuning of the engine and getting a little trigger happy with my new found speed and rolled it at top speed. As it tomohawked down the parking lot i saw a tire fly off. snapped the plastic axle carrier. Makes sense seeing as the plastic was cold... im thinking of replacing the axle carriers and steering blocks with aluminum.

RC Qualifier
    The fail safe works if the batteries in your transmitter go dead (which is what you hold in your hand). If the batteries on the truck itself go dead, then the built in fail safe will not work. A simple spring on the throttle linkage, back to something solid, will do the trick. An after market fail safe will probably not do any better, because it runs off from the batteries in the truck. You can also look into getting a rechargable hump pack, for on the truck.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Enthusiast
    westoakmech,

Have you driven a nitro Slash? Do you have firsthand experience with one? The 2.4 GHz radio system in the nitro Slash apparently has some sort of problem in some units. Control of the truck, even with charged batteries, is happening. Trucks are running away. The fail safe is not working properly. That is the reason for this post. To make it known, and to figure out what is causing it. The light on the receiver begins flashing from red to green and blinking, and it's game on. My truck was at idle when it happened, and I was right next to it. It accelerated and took off. Thanks for your help, but I guess it has to be seen to be believed, and I personally saw it happen twice.

RC Qualifier
    I only have about 25 years experience with rc car and trucks. I understand what you are saying, and I do not doubt it is happening. Like I said, the fail safe will not work if the rec batteries die. It could also be an antenna problem. On the 2.4 radio, the antenna has a little more solid piece at the end, make sure that that part is outside of the tube. If you are running the aa batteries, I highly recommend the rechargable hump pack, makes alot of difference. It could also just a batch of faulty recievers, do you have another traxxas 2.4 you could swap out recievers with, or with a buddy and see if the problem follows. I had a reciver fail a coulple of weeks ago, when it failed steering and throttle was stuck were it was when it failed, luckily turned hard left, and just a little above idle, so it went in a cirlce until I got to it. I am only trying to help. If you were close to me I would give a another rec to try to help.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Enthusiast
    There apparently is an issue with the new TQ systems, as after only a five minute conversation with Traxxas support they suggested a return so they could check it out and repair or replace it if necessary.

Thanks for all the suggestions and offers of help. I didn't mean to sound testy or unappreciative, but I have the vehicle in hand, have been dealing with these things for over twelve years and know more than the basics, ie: failsafes, battery packs, etc. this new TQ system will not link with other Traxxas 2.4's. it's the same receiver it seems as is used with the TQi system, but it has an antenna that is longer than most 2.4GHz receivers. Hopefully, Traxxas will figure it out. They have excellent support for all issues, and are awesome when it comes to supporting their products.

RC Qualifier
    Yes they have great customer support. Are they sending a replacement, or waiting to see what is up with yours? I hope they get it up and running soon. Nothing like sitting and waiting for parts for a brand new car. Good Luck
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    Cool trucks!

RC Enthusiast
    Gotta wait until they get mine and check it out. Then they'll decide if its faulty and can be fixed, or if it will be replaced. Since this has happened to more than just me, I have a feeling it's either a faulty design or a bad product run, so I expect to get a new one, hopefully in less than a month. I'd love to be able to buy a cheap set, even a 27MHz and run it until the new one comes back, but funds are just too tight. I either have to sell or trade some parts first.

RC poster
    Drove mine for about an hour and a half today and finally broke my first part, bent a rear shock shaft... The body has taken
    quite a beating too. Here's a little video my wife took on her phone.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...C58BB29126.mp4
    Last edited by jkitchens; 01-26-2013 at 08:40 PM.

RC Competitor
    jk,

Congrats on your truck looks great.

ttreu,

Nice pipe and I love the Ram body too...
    Summit, Slash 4x4 Platinum, Revo 3.3, T-MaxxPro-15

RC Qualifier
    cool cars guys keep it up

RC poster
    Thanks prostock, she's gonna get a little facelift over the next few weeks... new body, wheels/tires, pipe and shocks. I also didn't have any runaway problems this week either. I'm about buy some 6V humps packs and get rid of that crappy 4AA pack for the RX too...

RC Qualifier
    Guys also don't forget to post on the main photo form for the Nslash

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by vwbug View Post
    Hey guys i was just wondering who has this truck? I am considering purchasing it. also if you can pics please!
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxximvs View Post
    I had the runaway happen, too, and I'm not real pleased about it. Fortunately it was when I was in a left turn and it was only about 30 minutes of run time. The servos got very glitchy and went away quickly. Smacked a curb and put a gouge in the skid plate and suspension arm. It's supposed to have a fail-safe to prevent runaways, but I know what my next upgrade is going to be. In the house with the truck not running the radio was fine even after the runaway, so not sure what is up. A real fail-safe is going in soon, and as soon as I get some extra cash the piece of crap radio system is getting an upgrade, most likely with a high output traxxas link system.
    This is EXACTLY the same thing that mine did. Happened on the 4th tank of break in.
    Nitro Slash 3.3

RC poster
    Maxximvs the fail safe is only in the transmitter. If the receiver batteries die u coast to a stop but it starts to get glitchy before they completely die.

RC poster
    Glad I already have a few 1600 hump packs before my nitro gets here.
    Only using stock tires for breakin then AKA cityblocks are going on.

RC poster
    Mine just came in yesterday. I upgraded the shock caps, suspension arm mounts. I bought replacement caster blocks that I havent installed yet. Anyways all good for jumps and taking a beating. Does anyone know how to post pictures on these forums? Thanks