RC Competitor

Temp Gun - reading point on 3.3

Hey guys. I have my T-Maxx with the 3.3 motor in it. I did a search and didn't find a specific answer. Therefore, I bring my question here. Where is the best point to take a reading with a temp gun. I got a lil fancy (24$ amazon prime shipped) temp gun with laser dot. Here are my findings

Temp taken at glowplug: 200-220
    Temp taken at base of head: 190
    Temp taken at very top of head (not black plastic piece): 275

If measured anywhere in the middle of base and top the temperature of course progressively increases 200-270 bottom to top.

So should I be measuring at the plug?

Thanks

Temps are generally taken at the glow plug.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    This goes right to my post the other day "engine temp". On a 70deg day tuning with the Visio RC flow chart, when every thing came together and it was running right I was getting 195 to 220 at the glow plug and 270 at the top of the head on the fins. So should I go back to the chart and lean it out more to get the glow plug above 240?
    Desmosedici RR

RC Champion
    You should never tune for temp.. you tune for proper running. Temps are a tool to make sure you don't overheat the engine.I only check the temp periodically when I'm running. Most of the time the glow plug temps are around 200 or so.. You could go hotter, but if its running right keep it that way. All engines even from the same manufacturer don't run at the same temps.. air temp, air flow around the head and different fuels will make the temps different. My nitro 4tec 3.3 rarely gets to 200 when running all day.. Not alot of airflow, but the car is so light that the motor isn't really straining inlike the heavy Tmaxx.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Competitor
    Thanks cenracer1. Well here is my concern then. If good running conditions usually yield between 220-270 then where are these temps being measured from. My and your glowplug readings are similar which is far off from the 220-270. Truck runs great but I am interested in prolonging the engine life of course.

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking that mine was feeling a little sluggish, not really crisp and snappy like the 3.3 should. But the flip side of that is that it was running more consistently good than it ever has. Should I try leaning it out a little more?
    Desmosedici RR

BTW I measure my temps the way ALL Nitro R/C engine mfr's do... At the glowplug.... +1 Snook....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Competitor
    Awesome, thanks. I can't complain then with the temps I am getting under 220 at the plug and I can't keep the front end down.