RC Competitor

Stampede 4x4 to Rally

So..

Currenctly running a Stampede 4x4 with Slash chassis and a 2700kv motor.
    Getting a bit bored of it and want to try something new and have always loved rally
    Could find a lot about turning a Slash 4x4 into a Rally but not much for the Pede 4x4...

Would converting it to a Rally need the same parts as the Slash 4x4 to Rally conversion or do I need more/less?

So this would be also the partlist for a Pede 4x4?

7422 - Chassis
    7423 - Nerf Bars
    7424 - Receiver box
    7426 - Battery Clip, Strap, And Rear Retainer.
    7429 - Rear Bulkhead
    7430 - Front Bulkhead
    7438 - Steering Linkage
    7460 - Motor mount
    7477 - Cover, Gear/ Wire Retainer
    7490 - Motor Plate
    6416 - Body Posts and rings
    7415 - Front Bumper / Body Mounts
    7436 - Front Bumper
    7437 - Front Skid Plate
    6777 - Rear Bumper
    7415 - Rear Body Post
    7411 - Clear Body
    7473 - Tires & Wheels (can also use 1:8 buggy wheels/tires i have around here)

RC Champion
    Isn't the pede 4x4 chassis shorter than the Slash 4x4? If so, wouldn't you need the center driveshaft also?
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I think he's running it with the Slash 4x4 chassis currently.

OP: The list looks correct. The only thing i'd change is get the TRA7426X Tall battery hold downs instead. This would at least give you the chance to run 3s or taller packs if need be. JMHO

There are a few upgrades you can do off the bat to. Maybe go with the King Headz Motor Mount. This beefs up the rear slipper area with aluminum and upgrades to an oversized bearing. Also i'd suggest upgrading the bearing adapter to either the Traxxas one or the King headz alloy one. Good to have if you plan on running a slipper, because the stock one is plastic and could possibly melt if it overheats there. Just an idea.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    thanks guys!
    yes i'm running the slash chassis conversion on my pede 4x4, so thats why the center shaft isn't there
    And also got an revo slipper upgrade on my pede 4x4 now

Motor mount, will order the king headz, got one on the slash 4x4 chassis too and works perfect, forgot about that one to look if there's one for the rally
    bearing adapter, thanks, will take that onto my list
    TRA7426X, thanks for the tip, plan on running 3s witht he current 2700kv motor so it's a must for me
    Last edited by yonzariq; 01-18-2013 at 05:07 AM.

RC Champion
    The stock number for the rally KH mount is TRX7460. Just got mine in Tuesday, it is another nice piece. Same fit and finish of the Slash 4x4 mount.

You can use the same bearing adapter that you currently have. Is it the Traxxas or King Headz one?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    i'm still using the stock plastic bearing adapter, forgot to order it everytime i needed some other parts

Got the complete list sorted out now and will order the KH mount and bearing adapter together anytime soon, and the rest will have to wait as my standard traxxas parts dealer doesn't have any Rally parts in stock yet...

For a motor I will be using the HobbyWing SC8 which is currently in my Slashpede 4x4, and a 120A ******* ESC (exactly the same as the HobbyWing SC8) on 2 and 3s lipo's.
    Gearing now is 17/54 and motor and ESC are around 50 degrees celcius, is this good for the rally setup too?
    For tires I will be using 1:8 buggy wheels and tyres which I still have some lying around...
    Will the STRC 17mm Hex adapter be a good choice or are there better 17mm Hexc adapters for the Rally?
    (I've got MIP Pede 4x4 rears, and Fronts still stock, MIP Pede 4x4 fronts ready to install)

Nice set of upgrades. 50C or 122 F is a good temp. You can probably gear up if you want to. I'm running 19/54 in my rally with the Castle/ Traxxas ET-2400kv motor and it sits about the same temps.

Are you running the new MIP's with the keyed axles/ clamp on hexes or the older style with the pin?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    i'm running the older style with pin mip's, hold up great for 6 months now

RC Champion
    Rear bumper is the same as the stampede. If you are going to use a T-Bone rear bumper skid plate, you'll need to remove the rear bumper anyway

RC Competitor
    Thanks, removed it from the list.

I'm still a bit in doubt about the wheels/tires.
    What is your opinion:
    - order 17mm hex adapters and run 1/8 buggy wheels/tires (got pro-line caliber M2 lying around)
    - use short course wheels and tires (got pro-line split six beadlocks with with Trencher M2 tires)
    - use stock rally wheels and tires

It will be mainly for bashing and some occasional fun laps at the track

Need to make a choice else i will be selling them to fund this project
    Last edited by yonzariq; 01-21-2013 at 08:52 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I am in the middle of this conversion too. I thought I was the only one, guess not.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tion-begins!!!
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yonzariq View Post
    So..

Currenctly running a Stampede 4x4 with Slash chassis and a 2700kv motor.
    Getting a bit bored of it and want to try something new and have always loved rally
    Could find a lot about turning a Slash 4x4 into a Rally but not much for the Pede 4x4...

Would converting it to a Rally need the same parts as the Slash 4x4 to Rally conversion or do I need more/less?

So this would be also the partlist for a Pede 4x4?

7422 - Chassis
    7423 - Nerf Bars
    7424 - Receiver box
    7426 - Battery Clip, Strap, And Rear Retainer.
    7429 - Rear Bulkhead
    7430 - Front Bulkhead
    7438 - Steering Linkage
    7460 - Motor mount
    7477 - Cover, Gear/ Wire Retainer
    7490 - Motor Plate
    6416 - Body Posts and rings
    7415 - Front Bumper / Body Mounts
    7436 - Front Bumper
    7437 - Front Skid Plate
    6777 - Rear Bumper
    7415 - Rear Body Post
    7411 - Clear Body
    7473 - Tires & Wheels (can also use 1:8 buggy wheels/tires i have around here)
    You will also need

6845x Bellcrank ( dont know the difference between stampede 4x4 bellcrank and this one, but it has a different part number)

7425 Seal kit for the receiver box
    2577 (2 packs) nerf bar screws
    3937 Screws to hold front bumper to the bulkhead
    6855 Driveshaft
    7436 Bumper foam

RC Qualifier
    86 the bellcrank, According to Traxxas the difference between the 2 is just the linkage. I now have the steering all done in my project.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by yonzariq View Post
    I'm still a bit in doubt about the wheels/tires.

- order 17mm hex adapters and run 1/8 buggy wheels/tires (got pro-line caliber M2 lying around)
    - use short course wheels and tires (got pro-line split six beadlocks with with Trencher M2 tires)
    - use stock rally wheels and tires

It will be mainly for bashing and some occasional fun laps at the track
    No one?

4-wheelin, looks good, thanks for the info on the parts, added them to my "to-order-list" for when the parts get in stock
    but according to the manual, the steering bellcrank is just 6845, no 6845X (same as Stampede 4x4)
    And 7424 is an already sealed receiver box.
    Also I cannot find 6845X or 7425 in the Rally manual...
    Last edited by yonzariq; 01-24-2013 at 01:50 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I got that info from the Traxxas website. I did notice there are some inconsistencies in thier info. THIS is the page I found 6845x. Like I said, the only difference between 6845 and 6845x is the steernig linkage, so you dont need it, you just need the 7438. After a second look at the receiver box, it is a sealed box (my bad). There are 2 different numbers for the nerf bar screws, but the one I gave you is the correct one. I advise you to call Traxxas, I just ordered the receiver box from them yesterday and the website says Out Of Stock. They didn't have the battery expansion though. I have my body and wheels on the way from ebay too. I went with blue and white.

RC Competitor
    I just ordered most of the alu parts and an RC Screwz Stainless Screw kit for the rally
    - KingHeadz motor mount
    - KingHeadz slipper adapter
    - STRC gun metal shock caps
    - STRC gun metal drive shaft (current one looks like crap... lol)
    - shock rebuild kit x2
    - shock oil
    - RCScrewz stainless steel screw kit
    - 19t pinion

as for the Traxxas parts, I'm told most of the parts will be in stock within the next 2 weeks, so I'll have to
    wait for those

Also, still trying to decide on what wheel/tyre combination to use as in #15

RC Champion
    Good looking order there. One thing though, make sure you take it easy with those RCscrew's SS set. They are known for being soft. Just be gentile them when tightening any of them. I had them on my slash4 and stripped a few head's without realizing it. The Tony's screw's or HexHead screw's are way better.

+1 to I-E-D. I've used RCScrews and being SS they are a weaker option. I'd totally go with Tony's screws or Hexpax screws, these are a much stronger optoin. Tony does a good job with seperating the sizes in small baggies. Totally recommend. If you have a few to spare i'd suggest the Hexpax Hexscrews with the Armor Plating (zinc plated). These won't rust but they cost a little bit more. They arent setup for a specific model either, just set of screws with different sizes.

For Carbon steel screws you can put a dab of oil on the exposed part to help keep them from rusting.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Got most of the parts deliverd, now it is waiting for the Traxxas parts to get in stock around here so I can start the build.

As for the screws, I'll just see how these hold up and if I don't like them I will look for another option as mentioned above

Also need a better steering servo, the stampede now uses a 10kg 0.12sec servo, but it still feels a bit slow