Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

HPI 1965kv motor

Has anybody tried this motor in there E Maxx?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HPI-Raci...item4d01898913

Looks like it would work, I have used it though sure would run cooler than the 2200 MMM you may have to work with gearing a little as you may need to gear up for the low kV.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    you may have to work with gearing a little as you may need to gear up for the low kV.
    If i went with that motor.What would you suggest for a starting point? As far as pinion gear.
    I will be running 2s lipos (4s total) and maybe 3.2 rims and tires.
    Last edited by snowfighter; 01-18-2013 at 03:47 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'd be interested to hear the gearing suggestions as well. I run a 2000kv motor on 2s.
    addicted much....

Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    If i went with that motor.What would you suggest for a starting point? As far as pinion gear.
    I will be running 2s lipos (4s total) and maybe 3.2 rims and tires.
    I'm geared 21/65 stock emaxx with a 2000kv motor so its not much different than mine and I am running 3.8 stock tires with that on 4s lipo x2,2s packs. Its runs no higher than 126 temps which is way down there temps can reach 140 but mine never come close. Start with 21/68 since you have smaller lighter wheels but this depends on what ESC you will be using OK something like the MMM ESC or hobbywing 120wp or 150a then temp on that should be OK but always a good idea to check temps on lipos, esc, motor at the same time. If temps are good then gear up to 21/65 good still then 24/65 gearing up will increase your temps but also increase speed and lessen torque wheelies as well every time you change gearing perform a couple speed runs, running on the terrain you plan to run on like hard running so you can account for increase in temps during your running at that time because like me I set the gearing so I can run without checking temps during run which in turn I can run the whole pack to lvc without ever checking temps till I finish and temps were only a mere 111 ESC and 126 motor for 30mins of non stop running offroad and on road was a little cooler.

The finisher I answered your question there as well for the motor you have same as mine on kV rating.

RC Qualifier
    Much apreciated. I think I made a similar thread when I first went brushless. Matter of fact you might have been the one to answer then as well. I think I'm running 17/68 and haven't seen the temps get over 100 on esc, bats or motor. The only thing that makes me hesitant about gearing up, is the lipos I'm using are only 4000/25. So I dont want to ruin them by drawing too much current. I'm being extra carefull till I get bigger bats. The truck does wheelies on demand and will still flip on its lid though. I get 15-20 min run times. Got tmaxx wheels with goede tires.
    addicted much....

The ESC will draw at take off and you said your wheelies are there what ESC are you running? I have 4000 40c lipos putting out 160amps constant. Your lipos are low but good thing you are geared stock. The spc 5000 30c will work just right for you when you look at lipos.

RC Qualifier
    Those are exactly the ones I plan to order. I have the 150a xerun. With a 2000kv motor. It's a beast even on these batteries I'm running. Can't wait to see what its like when I get those spc's.
    addicted much....

Then your doing good gearing the way you are the spike in amps at take off will be fast but won't be so much when you get going.

RC Qualifier
    So basically, stick with what I got untill I get new batts?
    addicted much....

Yup stick with and when you get those new lipos try gearing to 21/65 and see what you get lol. Speed is going to be crazy.

RC Qualifier
    About the speed, the suspension is so soft on this thing it's really hard to control. The only thing I've done to it is put 90wt shock oil in the shocks. Other than that, its the way it came from the factory. It looks like the brushless emaxxes are lower than mine. Is that the case, or am I imagining things? If I hit the brakes, it cuts hard to one side, even after I let off, I have to let it coast for a second just to regain control. What can I do to make it more controllable?

By the way sorry for jacking your thread snowfighter. I just seem to have similar questions as you.
    addicted much....

I added some preload spacers to mine and helps a lot as far as it being to soft I still have the stock oil as it hasn't needed any yet full. Try spacers and see how it goes I have tons of them lol I even have 4 emaxx shocks on my nitro pede. The weight could be your trouble it off balance perhaps. Check to make sure the same weight is even on both sides. Adjust your brake and drag brake as well on the ESC.

Low kV motors will run cooler than higher kV motors but takes more power watts and higher gearing to get the same stuff like a higher kV motor does. In the end though lower kV motors end up still running a little cooler like the 1965+2000kv motors. The ESC in this case plays a huge role and the lipos as well to deliver amps needed.

RC Qualifier
    Cool, thanks. I do have the motor mounted on the brushed motor mount. Its on the position closest to the edge of the truck. Wont work in the other position. The motor hits the trans case if I remember correctly.
    addicted much....

Get the single motor mount and cover. I think that's all you need but could be wrong feel like something is missing out of that.

RC Champion
    Thank you Mike for all your help. I'am not sure what i want to do with the Maxx.(3903) Very few scratches on the truck. I bought one for a real good price.I could not pass it up.It comes with the 775 motor in the truck the two 550s are new.Traxxas Aluminum bulks front and rear.Aluminum shock towers. RPM arms and bearing carriers all the way around. Traxxas axles on all four corners.Stock center drive shaft. The esc must be an older one it dose not have the LVD plus deans connectors. 4 batteries. I was looking for a good but cheap BL combo. I had a BL E-Maxx before with the MMM 2200 Combo. The two battery thing i did not care for. As far a wheel set up if i keep it i will put the 3.2 wheels(17mm) and tires.I run 99% of the time on road very little grass. I will post pics when i get it,With the holiday on Monday i should have it by Tuesday so the tracking number says.
    Last edited by snowfighter; 01-19-2013 at 07:51 AM.

Check out the hobbywing combo if you don't have a system yet since you run onroad the 150 combo would work 6s max or the 120 waterproof combo 4s max hey if you got a deal then that's great I try to get deals like that too. Also sounds like you have it upgraded a little which is a good thing.

RC Qualifier
    Or you could get the 150a and waterproof it yourself. Best of both worlds. That's what I did. There's threads all over the place about waterproofing an esc.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    Waterproofing is not that important to me.I guess iam a fair weather driver.
    Iam looking on e bay for a CC 2200 motor. Esc will come later on .I have the rest of the winter to finish the truck.
    My plan was to build a pede 4x4 until i came across this deal. I will post pics when i get it.
    How dose the hobbywing stuff compare to Castles MMM Combo?

RC Qualifier
    I've never had the mmm. This is the first 1/8 scale brushless setup I've had. I do have an sct 3800 combo in my slash, and I really like it. Waterproofed it as well. I do think castle's stuff is splash proof though. Even heard a rumor that most of their stuff is gonna be waterproof in the near future. Waterproof is nice to have cause sometimes you see a puddle and think...yep , I'm flying through that!
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    Finisher,I do think Caste has a waterproof ESC on the market.Who knows i just might put it for sale in the MP.
    The Maxx is an awesome truck but the two battery thing is a pain in the butt.That was the main reason i sold my last one but like i said before the deal was tooo good to pass up. The person i bought it from said it only has about a dozen runs on it at most.
    It looked VERY clean.Few scratches on bottom of truck and body looked in great shape. I would post the pics he had but i do not know how to do it.

RC Qualifier
    I think the sv3 it's waterproof, but Dont think its made for 1/8 scale. I think its a short course esc as well. What are you thinking of selling? The emaxx? The dual battery is a pain. I have a second brushed emaxx that I've been trying to trade for a erevo. I wish I would have got an erevo in the first place. I like to go fast and jump. And the that's what the erevo is all about.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    Last edited by snowfighter; 01-19-2013 at 01:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That link wont work for some reason. If you have the taptalk app. You can upload pics directly from your phone.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    Dose it work for you now? Click on pic to make bigger.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, works now. That things in really good shape. Looks like the rpm stuff is brand new. The tires look new too. Nice truck.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    Not sure if i want to finish it. Brushless combo or sell it.Will be selling off the brushed motors and esc once i have it in hand. Then make up my mind if i want to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    Waterproofing is not that important to me.I guess iam a fair weather driver.
    Iam looking on e bay for a CC 2200 motor. Esc will come later on .I have the rest of the winter to finish the truck.
    My plan was to build a pede 4x4 until i came across this deal. I will post pics when i get it.
    How dose the hobbywing stuff compare to Castles MMM Combo?
    the only thing that compares the same or above it is Tekin stuff but you pay the price for it if you look at their 1/8 systems same kv. Hobbywing is just right under that bench mark castle has not by much. If hobbywing used 10g wires and bigger connectors like castle does the 6.5mm then it might even be closer or the same. the esc's of the MMM/MMM2 are the same output as hobbywings 120a+wp model. the hobbywing 150a esc now is more than castle and i think under or match that of Tekin's esc. waterproofing a esc is great but nowadays alot of stuff will be going waterproof you see castle is soon Tekin hobbywing is started with their SC8 wp 120a esc and works great. i dont mind the limit of 4s as the emaxx and e revo are enough with 4s you can gear more higher than if you go 6s and start breaking things left and right it gets trying replacing and spending so much cash when its the same thing too much power! I could use that cash from buying parts for getting another rc

RC Qualifier
    you got a score there snowfighter good looking truck

RC Competitor
    I like the way you think Mike,I just ran My e revo for the first time today.It has the hobbywiny sc8 and tacon 2000 kv motor,geared 21/68,and never ran over 115 degrees.I now have to get the e maxx on the road,just need the bigger battery hold downs.
    the only thing that compares the same or above it is Tekin stuff but you pay the price for it if you look at their 1/8 systems same kv. Hobbywing is just right under that bench mark castle has not by much. If hobbywing used 10g wires and bigger connectors like castle does the 6.5mm then it might even be closer or the same. the esc's of the MMM/MMM2 are the same output as hobbywings 120a+wp model. the hobbywing 150a esc now is more than castle and i think under or match that of Tekin's esc. waterproofing a esc is great but nowadays alot of stuff will be going waterproof you see castle is soon Tekin hobbywing is started with their SC8 wp 120a esc and works great. i dont mind the limit of 4s as the emaxx and e revo are enough with 4s you can gear more higher than if you go 6s and start breaking things left and right it gets trying replacing and spending so much cash when its the same thing too much power! I could use that cash from buying parts for getting another rc

RC Champion
    For a few bucks more, maybe go with the flux tork from a vorza flux. It's a castle 2200 in a different can.
    The matching esc is $120, so for $230 you have a complete mamba monster max.

I've got one on my 1/8 ZD Truggy,
    Last edited by Zepher; 01-23-2013 at 02:51 AM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

I think stormerhobbies.com has the MMM2 for 250 combo 2200kv.

Gawdztwyn I had the same gearing as well but went for 21/65 still runs cool. Haven't had 1 problem with it just the programming.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    keep an eye on ebay good deals come by once in a while

RC Qualifier
    Yup stick with and when you get those new lipos try gearing to 21/65 and see what you get lol. Speed is going to be crazy.
    Well, getting those batteries tomarrow! I can't wait to try this 21/65 gearing!
    addicted much....

Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Well, getting those batteries tomarrow! I can't wait to try this 21/65 gearing!
    let me know how the maxx runs with those lipos geared that. I know mine is getting some resistance from the small wires i have for the series connector on mine but that will be fixed soon maybe before i get running again would be nice so i can see what my maxx can really do. right now its great wheelies like crazy, tons of speed, tons of torque runs cool.

RC Qualifier
    I'll do that. Wire diameter shouldn't be an issue for me. The xerun has pretty big wires on it. So I'm gonna get this thong out and rip!!
    addicted much....

it should have i think 10g wires on there. did you wire it in series or using a series connector? wasnt sure what you have it hooked up as.

snowfighter- did you build the emaxx or selling it? wasnt sure if thats the same i see listed or not.

RC Qualifier
    It came wired in series. Just got home from running errands and my batteries are here! Sweet!
    addicted much....

nice, charge them up and get outside now. i would if i wasnt too tired.

RC Qualifier
    I'm just waiting. Tapping foot..........
    addicted much....