RC Racer

Best All Around Gearing

What is the best all around gearing? Something that is good on the street and also works in dirt and sand.
    I am useing a 3S and have the stock set up outher than I am useign the center dif. i don't need to do 60 but, would like good top speed and to pull hard out of the hole.

RC Enthusiast
    Stick with stock 13/54 (or lower) on 3s and monitor temps. If you go any higher with gearing you could cook the ESC or motor or both with extended runs.

RC Champion
    Yep, 13/54 is best overall. For sand, you may drop to 10 or 11/54, but you should be okay.

RC Enthusiast
    Be careful running that 3s on the stock setup all the time. I just cooked an ESC on 13/54. The traxxas rep said that you are only supposed to do a few speed runs with a 3s and then swap it for a 2s. He said that the 3s was maxing it out

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info. Think I better look into some 2s batteries. I did burn up a motor mount and motor in Glamis with 3s and
    Paddles and stripped out the gears.

RC Champion
    I ran 3S on the stock set up no problem BUT I did check motor and esc temps frequently. If too hot I just let it sit a while and cool. Never had esc temp problems mostly just motor getting too close to my personal temp limit. 13/54 and tried to keep motor 160 or less.

Don't run too hard until you get good gearing
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    I recommend stock gearing or the stock spur and a smaller pinion. Unless you have a need for speed, there is no reason to go crazy with your gears. Take it to the local track and see how much throttle you actually use during a run. rarely will you need to go 50+ mph on any track. keep the gears modest and use the torque to launch your jumps and leave your corners

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTMaxx2.5 View Post
    Be careful running that 3s on the stock setup all the time. I just cooked an ESC on 13/54. The traxxas rep said that you are only supposed to do a few speed runs with a 3s and then swap it for a 2s. He said that the 3s was maxing it out
    He's right. 3S will heat it up on stock gearing. Get you a good 2S battery for regular use, and use that 3S for fun times.

RC Racer
    Well I was tired of eating gears and replaceing bearings so I have bought some 2s batteries and replaced my traxxas Aluminum motor mount with a Kings headz with the larger bearing. Truck is much slower but will last for more then 5min. What gearing is best for this set up? Now I have the stock 13/54 on the slipper. Is the center diff better on the 2s and what gears should I use for that?
    Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    I ran 3S on the stock set up no problem BUT I did check motor and esc temps frequently. If too hot I just let it sit a while and cool. Never had esc temp problems mostly just motor getting too close to my personal temp limit. 13/54 and tried to keep motor 160 or less.
    were you getting your temps with a separate temp gauge or with telemetry because i didnt think there was one for the ecs, just the motor and does anybody know the recomended temps you should stay under for both?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    I recommend stock gearing or the stock spur and a smaller pinion. Unless you have a need for speed, there is no reason to go crazy with your gears. Take it to the local track and see how much throttle you actually use during a run. rarely will you need to go 50+ mph on any track. keep the gears modest and use the torque to launch your jumps and leave your corners
    Good advice there for track set up. You want your gearing to be minimal, just enough to max it out on the longest straightway. Usually around 35mph tops.

RC Qualifier
    Instead of starting a new thread I'd figure this could go on this one...

So.. MMP/CC3800 is 14T/54 Center Diff to low? After a couple of 5 Min heats my motor was still cool to touch.. I have an 18T pinion but I'm nervous of moving up that high... what is everyone else running?
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

RC Racer
    for the velineon motor as far as temps go, I always tried to keep it under 170, as for the ESC, I'm not sure, mine was never over about 120 and I didn't have the fan.. I wanted something with more power and something that would run cooler on bigger batteries.. I know its overkill but I put in a Tekin RX8 and 2250KV T8 motor.. Sensored is the way to go in my personal opinion

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySSG View Post
    Instead of starting a new thread I'd figure this could go on this one...

So.. MMP/CC3800 is 14T/54 Center Diff to low? After a couple of 5 Min heats my motor was still cool to touch.. I have an 18T pinion but I'm nervous of moving up that high... what is everyone else running?
    I would maybe make the jump to a 16T and monitor temps.
    If they are still go, slowly move up and test temp.

RC Qualifier
    What are your thoughts on the Robinson Racing Hardened steel Center Diff 53T and the 14T? Would that setup be the same as a 18/54? and what are your thoughts on steel on steel..

RC Racer
    I personally do not run steel on steel because I would like a place the car can fail and not cause serious damage.
    Others might have a different opinion about this.

RC Qualifier
    I'm sure it would sound awesome though lol.. Until a rock gets lodged and the car blows up..

RC Racer
    and sparks flying, lol