RC poster

Motor and ESC upgrade???

My Summit has had the faulty ESC right from when I first got it. Its the common problem and Ive been using it the way it is and trying to ignor it. I figure it makes most sense to buy a motor esc combo instead of the esc alone because you get more for the money. Id like to get a Casle Creations but I dont know if I would need a 1/18 scale kit or a 1/10, I dont know if any of them bolt up to the stalk set up on the summit, I dont know if I would need different mount, I dont know what batteries I would need. Im just wondering if anyone knows a good combo kit that suits the 1/16 Summi. And if so what all would I need to get to make it work. Any ideas will be appreciaed. Thanx!

RC Racer
    Send the esc in its worth the shipping price then you have a choice to keep it or make a few bucks as far as another esc motor combo sorry i cant help ya but pleanty here can and will chime in..

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You don't want to put a smaller power plant into an RC... it will overheat constantly. You want at least a 60 amp ESC.
    Kv rating depends on what you want to do with the RC. If you have the VXL, it came with a very stout motor; just the ESC is weak.

If the ESC failed that quickly, it might be worth calling Traxxas to send yours in for a free replacement depending on where you live. If you have to pay shipping and the lifetime warranty fee, you might as well put the funds toward a stronger ESC.

I run a ********* 60... Castle just rolled out with a waterproof line of ESC's... the SV3 seems to be a very good option.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Mine was bad right out of the box too.(I mean...almost caught on fire bad)
    The shop I bought it from had one in stock and replaced it for me for free.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gogorc View Post
    My Summit has had the faulty ESC right from when I first got it. Its the common problem and Ive been using it the way it is and trying to ignor it. I figure it makes most sense to buy a motor esc combo instead of the esc alone because you get more for the money. Id like to get a Casle Creations but I dont know if I would need a 1/18 scale kit or a 1/10, I dont know if any of them bolt up to the stalk set up on the summit, I dont know if I would need different mount, I dont know what batteries I would need. Im just wondering if anyone knows a good combo kit that suits the 1/16 Summi. And if so what all would I need to get to make it work. Any ideas will be appreciaed. Thanx!
    Yet another. nice.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    You don't want to put a smaller power plant into an RC... it will overheat constantly. You want at least a 60 amp ESC.
    Kv rating depends on what you want to do with the RC. If you have the VXL, it came with a very stout motor; just the ESC is weak.

If the ESC failed that quickly, it might be worth calling Traxxas to send yours in for a free replacement depending on where you live. If you have to pay shipping and the lifetime warranty fee, you might as well put the funds toward a stronger ESC.

I run a ********* 60... Castle just rolled out with a waterproof line of ESC's... the SV3 seems to be a very good option.
    Nice, I like the idea of the sv3. The stalk setup has the aluminum peace (7060) with heat sink that bolts to the motor and then to the plate that holds the transmition. I think I would need a different part here right?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    That depends on what motor you get.

If it is a 380 sized motor and your RC came with the VXL power system, you don't need anything.
    If it is a 550 sized motor and your RC came with the VXL power system, you are going to need a different motor mount/plate/gear cover.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info guys Ill post a picture once the build is complete!