RC Champion

Warm lipo.....bad?

I have been running my car a lot lately and have noticed that my lipo is getting warm when I'm done. Is this bad? I didn't think lipos were supposed to get warm. I run the vxl system with gear 18/54 which gets the motor warm but I wasn't expecting the lipo to get warm.

RC Champion
    A warm LiPo is okay. It's when they get *hot* that you start to see swelling. (Swelling is bad). ;-)

RC Champion
    Its all dependant on the pack and what you are running it in. Warm normally isnt a problem. Anything discharging high current is bound to produce a bit of heat. Mine are usually around 10F or so above ambient after running.

RC Champion
    Check with temp gun. No more than 120F. Down here in the summer mine get about 100-110 or so.

RC Racer
    Whats the voltage, c rating, and mah of your lipo pack?

and also, where are you driving your truck with that gearing? thats the on road gearing and going in grass or loose dirt with that setup will heat everything up very quick.

RC Champion
    It's a duratrax 2s 5000mah 30c lipo

I knew I would have high temps but I'm running it in snow so the temps should stay down and I have that gearing just for some extra pull through the deeper powder.

I don't think the lipo got very hot, nothing close to 100 but I just thought that it wasn't supposed to get even warn so that's why I was worrying.

RC Racer
    So what gearing would you say is best to use for loose dirt or even sand?

RC Champion
    Sorry who are you asking? I use 13/54 most of the time on all surfaces. I might try a 15/54 and if that doesn't get too hot then I'll use that.

RC Racer
    18/54 in snow is not a good idea. thats putting a lot of strain on the esc, motor, and lipo. Whenever i plan on running in snow i drop the gearing A LOT. i normally run 17/52 with the castle sct system, but in the snow i run 13/54. Having that extra gearing is only hurting how well it goes through the snow.

RC Champion
    Oh that's good to know. I guess I'll put it back at 13/54 since I don't have another option. Thanks