RC Racer

drive shaft replacemnts

i keep breaking the stock plastic drive shafts and was wondering if anyone knew of a good set of aftermarket steel drive shafts to go with.

RC Racer
    Did you search the forums?? Been talked about in the last 2 weeks also r you throttle on when you land?

RC Racer
    i ment i was breaking the slider shafts when on ice.

RC Racer
    Read fund my first weak link about 5 threads down

RC Enthusiast
    RPM shafts should do the trick, but they've been known to strip out the nylon gears in your transmission.

RC Racer
    i'm not braking the center shaft i'm breaking the out put shafts when on snow/ice.

RC Enthusiast
    The ones going from the diffs to the wheel? Because they have those too. They will be labeled 1/16 E-Revo or 1/16 Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreRC View Post
    RPM shafts should do the trick, but they've been known to strip out the nylon gears in your transmission.
    RPM doesn't make driveshafts. I'm sure you're referring to the A arms.
    Last edited by Maxximum Overdive; 01-16-2013 at 05:45 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    No I'm thinking of driveshafts. They may not make them anymore.

RC poster
    One option would be to swap the summit rockers for erevo rockers (TRA 7158) and install the steel drive shafts that Traxxas makes (TRA 7151X). The shafts only work with erevo rockers because the summit rockers give the suspention to much travul that the steel shafts will slip out of the cups. I was having the exact isue you where having and I did this upgrade. Its working great now with no problems. Truck will have a lower ride height but it still handles rough terain really well. If anything it doesnt flip as eazy. Thats what wirked for me though. Do whatever you want.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreRC View Post
    No I'm thinking of driveshafts. They may not make them anymore.
    RPM never did make drive shafts for the 16ths.
    These transmissions are really stout. Out of the thousands of posts I have read over the past 3 years only three transmissions have had issues... all of those were due to bad bearings.
    Please make sure the information you type is accurate.

To the OP...
    Here is a good thread on drive shafts:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...irst-weak-link...
    Here is a good thread on axle shafts:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...56#post5384056
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    so i can run stock 1 16 e revo axle shafts on a mini summit and they are stronger than the stock 1 16 summit axle shafts are? and they will fit with out any other mods to the truck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Correct!
    Some have had the u-joint pop out, but they pop back in quite a few times before they just won't stay in anymore.
    And then there is the Rustler u-joint fix for that... both are quite inexpensive.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    thanks ill order a full set of 1 16 e revo axle shafts.

RC Champion
    I read through the other threads listed here...

Am I to understand that I can run the stock Summit long travel rockers...if I run Merv #7151 shafts coupled with Rustler #1951 half-shafts?(and is this the best option?)

The Merv steel CV shafts are $70 and I read that I would have to run the Merv rockers if I go that route.

It seems a lot more expensive to do that...and I don't really want to swap the rockers and give up the suspension travel if I don't have to.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Champion
    Well...after a little research...I may have figured out what I need to do.
    Either that...or I've confused myself even more.lol.
    So it seems I need to buy a set of four Merv shafts,and the Rustler half shafts...then install the Rustler U-joints onto the ends of the Merv axles.
    Is this correct?
    By doing this...can I keep my Summit's long travel rockers and not worry about the shafts pulling apart?

I was going to buy the parts today..but my LHS only had 3 of the Merv shafts.
    I wasn't 100% sure that this was what i needed to do and would work...
    So instead of buying what he had and getting him to get me a 4th Merv shaft,I decided to wait and just bought one stock Summit shaft to replace the one I broke.

My center shafts still haven't come in...but a buddy gave me a custom front center shaft that he built.
    It was a tight fit getting it in there...but it works...and I'll run this setup until I break something...and then install the Traxxas metal center shafts.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    you can run merv and summit shafts at the same time, you would have been better off just buying a merv shaft to replace the broken summit shaft.

I believe what you are saying with the rustler and merv shafts is correct but why go through the hassle of that until you try the merv shafts and experience a problem?

RC Champion
    Probably going to buy a full set next week and replace them as they die.lol.
    I'm going to research a little more and see if it's worthwhile for me to buy the Rustler shafts for the u-joints. The pack of four is only like $7 or so...so not really an issue.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    Probably going to buy a full set next week and replace them as they die.lol.
    I'm going to research a little more and see if it's worthwhile for me to buy the Rustler shafts for the u-joints. The pack of four is only like $7 or so...so not really an issue.
    merv shafts are also like half the price of summit shafts.

RC Qualifier
    This is what you'll want to do with the Rustler u joint. Once you get them popped into place, grind a bit off of the ends of the u joint that sticks out so it doesnt scrape off of your A arms and diff housing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Of all the posts ive read around here, ive never read about that modification ^^ Excellent idea. Essentially your making the pins longer so the shaft has less change of twisting and popping off. I would imagine the next weak link would be breaking the ears off one side of the joint but it would take longer to happen.

Great ideas.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ