RC Qualifier

Suggestions for Traxxas Steel CVDs with FLM Hybrid Bulk Setup

Any advice would really benefit me. I am currently building an Emaxx with Traxxas Steel CVDs with the FLM Hybrid Bulkheads into the RPM Axle Carriers ( True Kit in the Rear ) with RPM Arms. I just have some questions if anyone can help me out:
    1.) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this the best way? Any Drivecups/Methods better than another?
    2.) Is it possible to run the Stock Emaxx Chasis with the FLM Hybrid Bulkheads with Traxxas Steel Center driveshafts? What drivecups will I need/Dogbones/etc...?
    Thanks!

RC Champion
    1. The FLM Hybrid Bulkheads come with outdrives that you can use to replace the cups that come installed. The cvd's bolt right up to them. At the bottom left in the picture:

2. I'm not at home right now to look but I'm pretty sure the Traxxas center shafts will bolt right up to the outdrives on the Ultimate bulks. This is speculation on my part. Do you have the parts yet?
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E G-Slayer

RC Qualifier
    Yes I have the parts and the fLM outdrive pinion uses a grub screw to hold the cup which would house the dogbone center shaft. Traxxas Steel Center shafts are not dogbone. what I think I might need to do is get a second pair of outdrives and drill some holes right where the Traxxas Steel Center shafts would get inserted. Here is what the Traxxas Steel Center shafts look like and the Cup which comes out of the FLM Hybrid Ultimate Bulks with the grub scew is what is pictured in the picture you included above that lead off to the right and left shafts.

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    I feel like an idiot saying this but I realized that if i pulled back one of the blue rubber boots on the Traxxas Steel Driveshafts and removed the drive cup that comes with the Traxxas Steel shafts, I could have inserted the doggbone right into the cup that the FLM Hybrid Ultimate Bulkheads came installed with. Correct me if i'm wrong, i didn't try it and am thinking i could use the same technique to work with the FLM bulks with my stock chasis for the time being, anyone have any suggestions? Now If i get the Losi XXL LST2 Axles maybe they are too big to fit into the drivecups that the FLM bulks came with.......and thats where I would need to get those HPI cups.

RC Champion
    yeah that sound right. If it doesn't fit tight you can put some rubber o-rings around the the pin on both sides to keep it in place. Same goes for using the xxl axles with the castor diffs that come with the flm bulks. They will fit but they will have slop. You can do that instead of converting to HPI cups.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E G-Slayer

RC Qualifier
    Hi Usman. Just checking in to see if everything worked out for you ? I am interested in installing the same products, with the traxxas CVD's

RC Qualifier
    I'm assembling this right now and haven't fully put it all together just yet. You asked at a perfect time because I'm just getting to it right now, since I've just finished my first Emaxx build consisting of RPM carriers, tock Diffs housed in Traxxas Aluminum bulks with traxxas steel cvds. This will be finished up now that the last thing is done, which was needing to get the Exteneded Traxxas Drive Cups for this set up.
    I have two other builds in progress which will have the FLM Ultimates with the Traxxas Steel CVDs to begin with.
    I am unsure if I will be able to use the drive cups that came with the FLM kit or if I will have to use traxxas ones or what. Anybody know out there what drive cups would work best for FLM Ultimate Bulks with Traxxas Steel CVDs?
    For those two other builds I want to get the best drive cups so I'm thinking that I'll eventually get some UE ones. Anybody know which specific UE drive cups would work for the FLM Ultimate Hybrid Bulks with Traxxas Steel CVDS on RPM Carriers? I'll probably upgrade to the LOSI LST2 XXL Driveshafts and do a LST Diff Conversion on my current "soft" Emaxx once the stock diffs are gone and i'm out of parts to replace them. Its a good learning platform as well. The LST2 Diff conversion will be pefect with my Traxxas Aluminum bulks, all blue. I think the FLM Ultimate Bulks and the LOSI LST Diff Conversion are neck and neck when talking about bullet proof diff setup.
    Revoroller please keep me updated as far as to how you get this done ! Thanks !

Also along the way I've read that the stock chasis will have to be dremled slightly and modified a little bit to have the FLM Ultimate Bulks rest on them just right. I'll soon find out, all input is helpful !
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-13-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    I'm assembling this right now and haven't fully put it all together just yet. You asked at a perfect time because I'm just getting to it right now, since I've just finished my first Emaxx build consisting of RPM carriers, tock Diffs housed in Traxxas Aluminum bulks with traxxas steel cvds. This will be finished up now that the last thing is done, which was needing to get the Exteneded Traxxas Drive Cups for this set up.
    I have two other builds in progress which will have the FLM Ultimates with the Traxxas Steel CVDs to begin with.
    I am unsure if I will be able to use the drive cups that came with the FLM kit or if I will have to use traxxas ones or what. Anybody know out there what drive cups would work best for FLM Ultimate Bulks with Traxxas Steel CVDs?
    For those two other builds I want to get the best drive cups so I'm thinking that I'll eventually get some UE ones. Anybody know which specific UE drive cups would work for the FLM Ultimate Hybrid Bulks with Traxxas Steel CVDS on RPM Carriers? I'll probably upgrade to the LOSI LST2 XXL Driveshafts and do a LST Diff Conversion on my current "soft" Emaxx once the stock diffs are gone and i'm out of parts to replace them. Its a good learning platform as well. The LST2 Diff conversion will be pefect with my Traxxas Aluminum bulks, all blue. I think the FLM Ultimate Bulks and the LOSI LST Diff Conversion are neck and neck when talking about bullet proof diff setup.
    Revoroller please keep me updated as far as to how you get this done ! Thanks !

Also along the way I've read that the stock chasis will have to be dremled slightly and modified a little bit to have the FLM Ultimate Bulks rest on them just right. I'll soon find out, all input is helpful !
    Thank you for the info. Can't wait to see your results

RC Qualifier
    Alright so today my neighbor wanted to race me again after I totally smoked his Nitro Gas Powered 1/8 Car. He made slight adjustments and tuning and he ended up beating me. It was neck and neck but he still got me everytime. This was with my "Soft Emaxx" my first one with stock diffs.
    The source of the defeat was the batteries I was powering-Two Onyx 8000mah 25C 2S Lipo batteries
    My question is what are the best and fastest batteries I can buy for my Emaxx? I know it woul dbe 3S, but I want some input if anybody knows exactly which batteries are the fastest and best on the market. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Also, does anybody have any suggestions on how to get my Proline Road Rage tires to stop by ballooning at high speeds. I'm just about ready to get 6S Running on my Emaxx ( ive gotten good practice on 4S ) and don't want my new top high end speeds to be accounted with my tires ballooning ! any suggestions ?

RC Champion
    Tape the inside of the tires with gorilla tape to stop ballooning. The road rages don't balloon too bad. The second set I put together I didn't like the way the tape kinda warped the first ones a tiny bit. So I have some 4 3/4" o.d. x 1/16" orings. fit nice down into the two center grooves. Going to try them soon.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-15-2013 at 07:25 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, thanks for the advice, I've heard of taping the inside of the tires but I think I have to see a tutorial or something first to see how its done. With my Onyx 2s lipos, they balloon quite a bit when gunning the throttle. I don't want the exaggerated thing to happen when I bump up to 3S. Thanks for the advice EMAXXBRUSHLESS...your backyard basher looks great !

RC Champion
    Turn the tire inside out and just go around once with about 3/4" to 1" overlap. 2" wide tape works good and doesn't bunch up around the edges. Use gorilla tape, super sticky and best for taping tires

RC Champion
    oh ya, forgot to mention, Don't forget to balance them. Makes a big difference.

RC Qualifier
    Hey thanks for that. I'll go to Lowes or Home Depot today and will get some of that super aggressive Gorilla Tape. So now let me get this straight, i'll be using 2 inch wide tape and will go around the inside of the tire once or should I overlap so that there is two even layers of the gorilla tape? I'll be precise with this.
    As far as balancing tires, how in the blue **** do I go about doing that? will I need a tool? I'll defintly get one if I need one. This is my learning platform and EMAXXBRUSHLESS you've been a great help, along with others, and I can't thank you enough.
    Thanks buddy !

RC Champion
    Heres one example of balancing tape. Theres different types. Theres sticky back lead weights too. Ebay has it. You will need a wheel balancer. Get plenty of balancing tape. You will use it for all your builds. I made my own balancer. Someone on here made one using a spare suspension and clamp it to the side of your bench
    As far as taping goes. You can go around twice for two even layers, I did that on one set of mine but its not nessessary, a 3/4" to 1" overlap is fine.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DirtSlingers...item51a7a8395b
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-15-2013 at 12:37 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome, great stuff! Thanks a bunch !