RC Competitor

Question Beadlock Question

I want to get true beadlock rims for my summit.
    Are there any rims that would fit the Canyon AT 3.8 Stock Tires?

RC Competitor
    I just bought a set of Mickey Thompson Classic II's (black) beadlocks with some baja claw tires. I believe they'll work, will find out when they show up and report back...

It's unfortunate the Axial narrow beadlocks aren't available anymore, I really like the looks of them but the MT's don't look too bad.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mattinpa View Post
    I just bought a set of Mickey Thompson Classic II's (black) beadlocks with some baja claw tires. I believe they'll work, will find out when they show up and report back...

It's unfortunate the Axial narrow beadlocks aren't available anymore, I really like the looks of them but the MT's don't look too bad.
    Really interested to hear some reviews on the MT baja claw tires.haven't heard much really at all for this size at least.
    Those MT classic II's look pretty good to me

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by egnjohn View Post
    I want to get true beadlock rims for my summit.
    Are there any rims that would fit the Canyon AT 3.8 Stock Tires?
    Do you want narrow or wide?
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Competitor
    I want to use the stock canyon at 3.8" tires. So I guess I would need wide for them.

RC Qualifier
    These are Axial Oversize Beadlock 8 Spoke (Black)
    I bought mine from PavementSurfer in the Second-Hand Section of this forum

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax8042

These come in black, dark chrome and bright chrome.

RC Qualifier

RC Competitor
    Wow those are nice! thanx satyisci.
    Last edited by egnjohn; 01-16-2013 at 06:38 PM.

RC Qualifier
    WARNING; those will rub on your front push rods, have a set of those sitting on a self for that very reason and only way to get around it are long wheel extenders. Has not just happened on mine either have seen a couple of other reports of the wide ones rubbing on the push rods. Narrows are no longer in production. RC4WD is your best bet for good/real bead locks.
    Cyclone 40 Series is what ended up on mine. Sure like the looks of those Mickey Thompson's tho.

Quote Originally Posted by satyrisci View Post
    These are Axial Oversize Beadlock 8 Spoke (Black)
    I bought mine from PavementSurfer in the Second-Hand Section of this forum

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax8042

These come in black, dark chrome and bright chrome.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Qualifier
    I'm pretty sure mine don't, so I'll have to double check and get back

RC Qualifier
    I'm pretty sure mine don't, so I'll have to double check and get back
    Make sure and check in hard left or right turn with wheels locked or almost is where the rubbing will show up or sooner.

RC Competitor
    mattinpa where you able to check if 3.8 canyon at tires fit the Mickey Thompson Classic II rims?

RC Competitor
    My rims aren't in yet (just shipped out yesterday) and I don't have a set of canyon's that aren't on wheels. I can take pics when the new wheels/tires get here and take some measurements for you if that'll help.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    WARNING; those will rub on your front push rods, have a set of those sitting on a self for that very reason and only way to get around it are long wheel extenders. Has not just happened on mine either have seen a couple of other reports of the wide ones rubbing on the push rods. Narrows are no longer in production. RC4WD is your best bet for good/real bead locks.
    Cyclone 40 Series is what ended up on mine. Sure like the looks of those Mickey Thompson's tho.

Well slap me silly and call me susan... They rub. My big joes are mounted on these beadlocks, so I'm going to try to bend the rod out of the way. I'll probably make a thread about it when i solve this rubbing problem.

That rod they rub on is kinda important. i wouldn't just try to "bend it out of the way" lol.

Also if you look at the bottom of the front of your front A-arms they will usually rub a bit there too at full turn.
    When i ran those i did take a bit of end point out of the turning to stop the rub, but that hurts the performance of the truck.

I ended up selling them.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Competitor
    Look what showed up, just in time for the weekend.. I ordered a new KD motor as well, just in case I burn up the stock one with these monsters.. The tires have a max load of 36.5 lbs stamped on the side. Much less than the 35" Toyo M/T's on my 1:1 Superduty.

Last edited by mattinpa; 01-18-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Well slap me silly and call me susan... They rub. My big joes are mounted on these beadlocks, so I'm going to try to bend the rod out of the way. I'll probably make a thread about it when i solve this rubbing problem.
    HAHA told ya so And as mentioned by Cameron those are your steering rods, you go trying to bend those for clearance and you are going to mess up your steering geometry. Also I cut part of my bottom A arm away also and that did not help at all except make it clear that it was the push rods. Like I said earlier in Post #10 only way I found around it was with 6" extenders, which is all I had around so don't know if 4" wheel extenders would give the clearance needed. Didn't want the 6" wheel extenders as it messes with rock crawling or getting thew narrow spots.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 01-18-2013 at 12:32 PM.

RC Competitor
    My meeting got canceled so I had 30mins of free time. Mounted up and ready to go. The tires are almost identical in size to the canyon's (expected). The wheels are significantly heavier than stock (expected), tires are stiffer than the canyon's but they may loosen up over time. I haven't had them outside yet, only my initial perception.

Last edited by mattinpa; 01-18-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

Well for starters ......I really really like the look of them.tires will soften a bit after use.If they are still to stiff, foam trim time.looking forward to seeing how they do.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    With my Axial rims the only part rubbing at the a-arms and links were the inner beadlock rings.
    I narrowed the inner side of the ring and now they only scratch when I give full steering and pressure against the wheels.
    It's acceptable now, I'd not like to give up the beautiful Axial-BigJoe combo.

RC Qualifier
    Looking good. See you are still running stock steering servos, with heavier wheels/tires might want to start saving money for a single servo set up. Not real sure how long the stock servos will take the extra weight.

German; remember reading when you did that, and looked at mine but have now way of making sure I would be cutting in a perfect circle so left my inner rigs alone. How did you do yours?

RC Competitor
    Looking good. See you are still running stock steering servos, with heavier wheels/tires might want to start saving money for a single servo set up. Not real sure how long the stock servos will take the extra weight.
    Thanks. I've been reading threads on the recommended servo's, etc. I have some driveshafts/half shafts, pins, slipper clutch , etc on the way for when the factory stuff lets go. I need to work on the KD motor next and get it prepped!
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    German;.... How did you do yours?
    Edstoys, a friend did it on the lathe of our police departments garage
    From the inner side to the holes are 2mm now, that's enough.
    If you don't have a police department with a lathe you can screw the 4 rings off, draw a circle on them and file them out.
    With good tools and a little patience you'll get it!

RC poster
    Hi satyrisci.
    They do not work with Traxxas 40 series tyres. the bead on the traxxas tyres is too thin to be held by the beadlocks.

RC Competitor
    I'm running the canyons on axial wide 8 spoke and cut an 1/8 of an inch off the bead and now it works perfectly, haven't popped a bead yet. And they look amazing!
    18v B&D summit
    You can NEVER go fast enough

RC Competitor
    How do you cut tire bead and keep it an even cut? Is there any trick to it or do you just eye it up?

RC Competitor
    Just use a sharp pair of scissors and go really slow, I just did it by eye, its pretty much just taking half the bead off
    18v B&D summit
    You can NEVER go fast enough

Quote Originally Posted by mattinpa View Post
    My meeting got canceled so I had 30mins of free time. Mounted up and ready to go. The tires are almost identical in size to the canyon's (expected). The wheels are significantly heavier than stock (expected), tires are stiffer than the canyon's but they may loosen up over time. I haven't had them outside yet, only my initial perception.

I was gonna ask where you got those from but i found them... $200 ?????? holy crap batman.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)