RC Competitor

Mamba monster or tekin rx8

I good buddy of mine is selling me either a mamba monster or tekin rx8 for $100. They both are used but in good condition. Which one would you guys get and why? Is the price good?

RC Qualifier
    My cousin just installed an RX8 in his Emaxx the sensored set up should be great, just waiting on a few more parts for it. but he asked a few people the same question and more people said the Tekin mostly for the sensored motor and it handles more current.

RC Qualifier
    The RX-8 system is extremely smooth and cool, and I've enjoyed it very much in my E-Maxx. I wasn't sure which motor system to get, since Tekin offer both buggy and truggy motors in many kV specifications, but the truggy-length 2000kV motor pulls really well and runs cool on 6s; it's not too low a wind but it's still high enough to hit high speeds when you bury the throttle.

That said, the Mamba system has a great reputation and has been through several build specifications so it's just as reliable and, if I had to guess, more powerful since tuning is easy while Tekin's Hotwire utility is like $40 extra.

RC Qualifier
    you cant go wrong with either one for 100...
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Competitor
    Yeah it's one or the other just trying to see which one.

shot i would get both if it was me and i had the cash of course though. The tekin is a smoother setup being that it is sensored and it wont cog so bad if you try to run slower for a younger person like a little one trying out your emaxx. the castle MMM is a beast and doesnt handle going too slow for a young one learning and besides you wont have to bite down everytime when they drive if that is the case.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    Looks like tekin is winning so far.

tekin is a good system just like castle if it was anything else besides tekin-castle i would like castle-hobbywing or vxl i would go for castle then at that price.

RC Qualifier
    Without question Tekin from my experience. Had my Castle go up in smoke, took my receiver with it. the Castle system also cogged like crazy down low. Didnt want to spend a lot so bought the hobbywing 150amp version; cogs less and if its not my imagination, seems to lay down some serious power. Nothing wrong with the castle motor but not a fan of the esc.

I run the Tekin RX8 in my shortcourse truck and my 1/8 buggy, neither really gets used for bashing, just racing and both have held up well so far. Software / firmware is updated frequently and being sensored at lower rpm they are smooth as butter and power delivery is very smooth and linear. I drove the same buggy as mine with the castle setup as well as another brand of buggy with the castle setup and like my Emaxx when it had the castle, the power delivery seems to only have about 5 steps to it with a noticable jump each time so while the top end power was good, everything between no throttle to full throttle felt like a jerky mess.

Also someone mentioned the software on RX8 needing hotwire, it doesnt need the hotwire device to adjust, same as the castle doesnt need the castle link, but it does offer more options when you run it same as the castle link. I use my hotwire all the time as Tekin updates regularly.
    Last edited by Suteki; 01-16-2013 at 03:43 AM.

RC Competitor
    My emaxx did the same thing. It's was really great a top speed but on the lower end it was sloppy. Well ima get the tekin. Once I drive it I will let you guys know what I think of it. But the motor I'm running is not sensored would that be a problem.

Is it a sensored ESC or both? If your friend is running it it should be OK.

The hobbywing 150a ESC puts more amps out or can handle more as the castle MMM is rated for 120a only same as the hobbywing 120a wp ESC is which I have but difference is obvious being 4s limited and wire gauge. I agree nothing wrong with motor from castle.

Seems like a lot of troubles come from esc's it seems.
    Last edited by mike-susieq1; 01-16-2013 at 12:22 PM.

RC Competitor
    Yeah it's sensored. And he is using it in his sc8. I drove it and it runs good. He has the mamba on his onroad and it runs good also. That's why I was asking.

Then you'll be OK to run it in the emaxx with a sensor less motor.I do believe the ESC is able to run both sensored and sensorless motors.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitola23 View Post
    My emaxx did the same thing. It's was really great a top speed but on the lower end it was sloppy. Well ima get the tekin. Once I drive it I will let you guys know what I think of it. But the motor I'm running is not sensored would that be a problem.
    No problems running a sensorless motor on the esc. The RX8 is dual drive, its only sensored up to a certain rpm, then it switches to sensorless. It just means it wont operate sensored at lower rpm so it may cog a little with low throttle input from a standstill, otherwise it will still be smoother in operation than the castle.