RC Enthusiast

The perfect T Maxx.

I've tried almost everything.

I got a classic t maxx 2.5. I got it in 2007. I have ran in it, 2.5, 2.5r(current engine), 3.3, durtrax .21, sh .21, dynamite .26 mach 2, axial .28, axial .32. I know all this is crazy, but I had to try to see which engine will give me the best performance. The reason I want back to the classic setup because the big block setup did not yield the results I was expecting. The major down side was the blow transmissions I had to replace.
    I still have the extended chassis and looking to rebuild with all new parts. If anyone has any advise on what is best, please post all ideas. I will post pics throughout the project.

P.S I have the gearing formula, and have gone through all the gearing setups I could think of. It was the weight of the bigger engines and other parts that were used to improve the weaker parts that slowed the truck down. Can't figure out were I went wrong, but willing to try it again with help this time.

With a good .26 or .28 size engine you will need to upgrade the tranny gears with RRP gears or UE/OTB gears. Then you can take advantage of the bigger torque engines and gain the speed/durability you’re looking for.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Enthusiast
    whick transmission is better to work with, 2.5 or 3.3?

If using steel gears, it doesn’t matter which except for the brake/slipper setup.
    UE/OTB gears are not available for the 3.3 spec tranny, RRP gear are.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I never understood why revo trannys seem to be more durable than the tmaxxes but yup Robison racing is a great product

Quote Originally Posted by johnzillia54 View Post
    Yeah I never understood why revo trannys seem to be more durable than the tmaxxes but yup Robison racing is a great product
    The black Trannies seemed to have a weaker reverse gear setup than the Revo... The solution was simple for the black tranny,,, drop reverse and go Forward Only... Everyone who did this ended up with less problems due to the larger amount of physical contact between the primary outputgear and the gearset. Also dropping dropping all that rotational mass and clutches...

The Revo has the Optidrive system, less rotational mass and better contact to the primary output gear from the gearset.

Basically that's my outlook on it...

As far as which one to go with? I like the UE setup with the aluminum OTB's and the Alloy Nitro Input gear over the RRP setup. It seems to be lighter overall but I could be wrong once the brake setups are in place,,, not 100% sure there.

But, I'll sau this, if you are running a small block, I see no reason for anything more than a stock FOC'd tranny, shimm'd... I've ran them this way and they hold up unless something is wrong, you just have to be thorough when troubleshooting and find the problems or you will be repeating your repairs... One bit of debris get's caught up in the gears and they will slowly deteriorate... Got 20 gallons on a stock FOC'd tranny that had been raced pretty hard.... Just put good bearings in it and shimmed anything that was too sloppy in movement.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Enthusiast
    While as far as the stock t maxx, it will be just for bashing only. I still have the extended chassis and will to build it from the ground up. My mean question is will the 3.3 tranny fit on the chassis and is it faster than the 2.5 tranny. I know there is a different gear ratio but don't know for sure which is faster if at all.

RC Enthusiast
    I heard tires can also make a differents in speed, is this true?

What is the deal with the losi 3.4. seen videos and it looks fast, but will it be faster than the 3.3? or at least more power.
    Last edited by Rcracing6575; 01-17-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Of coarse, a lighter tire will get you up to top end much quicker than a heavy tire... That's why we use the pin styled tires on the race track, way lighter than bashing tires.....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Enthusiast
    do the pin tire wear down fast. think i pins on my buggy two years ago and they wore out in a short time. I could be thinking of the wrong tires.

RC Enthusiast
    going to the hobby shop tomorrow to get some parts, thinking about shock oil. which is best for bashing and one for racing.

RC Enthusiast
    should I upgrade to steel cvd's or will they add to much weight?

RC Enthusiast
    How should I improve the handling. What should I be buying?
    And can someone give me more info on the big bore shocks.

RC Qualifier
    Handling as in suspension or steering? For steering, a stronger servo will help a little, aswell as the tires and toe/camber which play a huge part as to how it will turn. For suspension, if you were building the "Perfect" T-maxx where you weren't going to cut corners, you would probably want the UE Supershock with UE shock towers and I think you need aluminum bulks to go with that. The Big Bores aren't any bigger than stock from what I've heard, they are just better build quality, with aluminum caps and a stronger body and shaft.

RC Enthusiast
    LHS suggest going with Proline shocks or aluminum traxxas shocks. The main problem I have with the maxx is that it flips over to easy. I will like to correct this problem or at least lower that chances of it happening so much.

BB's with aftermarket springs is the easiest route.
    Dual rate(ebay), Integy pring set(the only good thing they make), AE MGT springs, all of these are aa good choice for springs.
    The old Proline powerstrokes were good but they are hard to find & not cheap, parts are even harder to come by.

The newer Prolines are way over priced & not designed for the Maxx series trucks.

The best would be UE Supershocks & Knucklhead towers(about $115), you do need to use aluminum bulks or you willl find after a bad tumble the Aluminum towers have a by habbit of breaking the plastic bulkheads.

Lower the stance of the truck & learn throttle control & how to slide it around turns.

Tthe downside of the Maxx platform is it is top heavy, too fast in a turn & its going to flip if you can't/don't slide the back end around.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    What would be the best tires for best performance all around?

RC Qualifier
    Many people like Proline's tires, and depending on the kind of terrain you ride on, there's different options. The Road Rage is for pavement only, the Trenchers and Badlands ( probably the most popular from what I've seen) are for all terrain, and the Mashers say they're for all terrain, but they're probably better on a loose dirt type terrain. You'll want to follow the right way to install the tires, which includes things like taping them and cutting the foams. Nitronaught posted a whole guide on here going through it step by step.

RC poster
    I do alot of speed runs on most level surfaces, Dirt, gravel, sand, grass fields, street. sometimes will run on rough surfaces, Rock hills but I but do much jumping. also must be able to handle snow.