Thread: Track weeds

RC Competitor

Track weeds

Ok this is a little off topic and didn't know where to put it but my track is just full of weeds and I don't know how to get rid of them permanently

RC Qualifier
    Short of salting the earth, you'll never get rid of them permanently. I live where rain just doesn't happen, and I do a weed-check on the track 2 times a week, and still fill at least a 5-gallon bucket per week. The only thing that keeps the weeds at bay for me is vigilance. Skip a week of weeding, and I can expect to spend a few extra hours the next week. It is a constant battle.

RC Qualifier
    Well if it's just small weeds that lay on the ground you can just drive over them and they will go away. If they are tall weeds you will just have to take the time to pull them.

RC Champion
    Salting the earth will also kill everything that grows. I would buy weed killer to tackle the weeds if you have a grass track. Down in Texas, it would take 3 times a week for weed pulling just cause of our climate. I just mowed last Friday and I mowed again yesterday.... It was a jungle.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

RC Competitor
    Head down to lowes or home depot and get some vegetation killer. There is some that will treat the ground for a year. I bit pricey but very good stuff.

RC Qualifier
    I've tried every plant killer on the shelf, the weeds come back within a week. Vigilance.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I've had pretty good luck with the Extended Control Round Up. Seems to do a good job of keeping weeds at bay in my gravel parking area. I spray them and by the next day, they're like dry kindling. They don't seem to come back very much either. Just watch doing on a windy day. Kinda pricey, but it does the job. I have bought knock-off brands and doused the same weeds, and it doesn't do a thing. Get what you pay for.....
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier

+1 on round up extended control I don't own a weed eater anymore I spray around my house one to two times a year and this does the trick for me! May have to spray a few times throughout the season but you can see weeds turning brown shortly after they are sprayed just make sure no rain the day or night you spray let it soak in and should be good. But there will always be some pesky weeds that just never die!

RC Qualifier
    My family uses the pellet weed killer, its fairly cheap and worked for nearly a month. Just need a few days of dry time though

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    Head down to lowes or home depot and get some vegetation killer. There is some that will treat the ground for a year. I bit pricey but very good stuff.
    I would suggest going to a place that only does fertilizer. They know all about grass and weeds and will instruct you on how to do it properly, and give you a great product. There are also homemade weed killers on search engines like yahoo.

Just make sure not to over spray. A guy I ran into that does this for a living says he runs into alot of home owners that over spray causing all that to get into the water supply.

Alot of these home improvement stores do not have knoledgeable employees, and products that work poorly.

Whichever route you go, if you have grass around the track, use an edger or tilted weed eater to prevent runners from coming onto the track. Also use a leaf blower to blow grass trimmings off the dirt to keep growth at a minimal.
    People Eating Tasty Animals

Steam is effective at killing weeds and some seeds too. It's just not very portable without special equipment.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    I would go get some weed killer. You have to do it quite frequently unless you buy extended control. If they are small enough, just run them over. I don't have to deal with weeds on a track but I do have a gravel driveway (2 houses with gravel driveways) so I have to do it a lot. Just make sure you get a product that actually works so you are not spending a lot of money on something that doesn't work. Like Round-Up Extended Control. I know I am not the first to put that out but it works really well.
    Last edited by RCROCKS75; 06-19-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    If parts ain't flyin', you ain't tryin'

RC Champion
    The Romans had good luck with the salt.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    The Romans had good luck with the salt.
    The question is how many decades do you want the defoliation to last? Salt can work too well.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    My grandpa uses some strong weed PREVENTATIVE. He puts it on the garden after all the plants are up and it prevents new weeds from growing all season. It will not affect plants that are already established though. I don't know what it is called but I'm sure you can find it online.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Growing up in South Texas, RoundUp is the new way to go. Unless you want weeds, RoundUp!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Steam is effective at killing weeds and some seeds too. It's just not very portable without special equipment.
    Special equipment? Haha, just run around with some boiling/steaming water! Lol

RC Qualifier

Track weeds

Onthe gravel road in the way to my camp the county usually puts down chlorine (i think) but what ever it is it keeps dust down and kills weeds at the same time. Best part is at night the it re-wets off the dew. Put it down once and it lasts us well over a month