Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC poster

I have a CNC waterjet and I want to make Garolite parts for an E-Revo. Suggestions?

I am on the verge of purchasing an ERBE, and I want to build a better mousetrap with the machine available to me, but I would like to know which parts would make the most sense to produce out of Garolite.

Your humble noob,

Medas360

RC Qualifier
    Without secondary machining? Nothing really. You could cut a motor mounting plate. You might be able to make rocker arms for the shocks. You couldn't make a chassis because it needs to be bent to light up properly. Though you could try.

I can't really think of much you could make out of sheet stock that you can bend.

You could make up some slipper pads, that would be interesting to try, might wear out the steel slip disk quickly though.

RC poster
    We actually have CNC mills and lathes I could use also. My family owns the company.

RC Qualifier
    How about diff cases and precision-machined gears? I know a few people who'd pay good money for bulletproof diffs...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    These are 100 a pop

RC poster
    So it seems like the best thing for me to do is to get my new car and start making CAD drawings, to reverse engineer parts, unless there is a site that already has them.

RC Racer
    Only thing is we need an aluminum Bulkhead that will fit the LOSI LST2 Differentials in to the E-REVO bulkheads. I would buy a set if they where out there. We just purchase the plastic bulkheads and grind them down to fit the larger LST2 differentials. The picture above is of the aluminum intergy bulkheads and 50togo is grinding it down for a fit for the LST2 differentials. It is an experiment he is doing using the aluminum bulkhead.
    People who have done this report that the plastic front bulk heads break most often in the weakend cups. I have a set that I have not tried as of yet but I expect to have the the same problems.
    If its not breaken then your not racing.

RC poster
    50togo - Do you have a picture of one that you have ground down? Maybe we could modify an existing part with a bolt on attachment to increase strength and space requirements?
    clp71220 - Can you send me a picture of the plastic bulkhead with an arrow showing me where it breaks? This might be what I try to make first when I get my RC.

RC Competitor
    Yea! If someone made a strong bulkhead that fit Losi diffs I would be in!
    Don't try this at home!

RC Champion
    The heck with aluminum bulks, aluminum bends and doesn't come back to it's original shape. I say make stronger bulks out of Delrin. Or some sort of fiber reinforced plastic. Sell them $100 a set and sell 200. Sell them $30 a set and sell 20 000+.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have just got started but this is basically where it needs some grinding mainly near the pinion area

RC poster
    mistercrash- Delrin will have a heat problem, Garolite will not until around 275 degrees.

RC Champion
    A heat problem while machining maybe? Because you can't mean there will be a heat problem in the truck as there are plenty of Delrin parts for RC already on the market.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC poster
    It machines like butter with no warping. We cut it quite a bit for automotive companies. If there is a heat buildup in the bulkhead while running, it will melt the delrin housing at around 140 degrees, since the delrin won't be able to dissipate the heat very well. If it does not get that hot, you would be fine making it out of delrin. Sometimes we add steel inserts to tapped holes that will be under more stress/pressure, if that would be required.

RC poster
    50togo- Would it make sens to machine a cap or cover that bolts on after you remove all of the metal you have blued, leaving no original thin wall?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    We need ether a stronger (titanium) thinner diff case or an aluminum one molded like a stock plastic diff case that fits the losi gears

RC poster
    I am certain I saw some garolite versions of it on the net. It is stronger than aluminum, and easy to machine with carbide tooling from a solid block, or I could even layer it to bolt together (cheaper and lighter). Once I get my car, I will begin tinkering and keep you updated.

RC Qualifier
    I would love to see a reworked diff, maybe modify another trucks diff to fit into the revo.

RC Champion
    Buy the hybrid diff plans from RC-Mike at RC-Monster and start making those. 8th scale diffs that fit in the bulkheads without modifications.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Racer

Broke Bulkhead photos and links

Ok Medas360 I will try and put together a few pictures and links to others who have broken there bulkheads as I have not broke one yet. I am sure I will as soon as my build is complete.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-rebuild/page6 post#216

This is some pic's from Craigs

Quote from Craigs post: The front bulkhead cracking in the usual place...this bulkhead is about 2 months old now. I will re-look at the Losi mod when I rebuild my truck in another 6 to 7 months. The front bulkhead is holding up well considering what I put my truck under post#299
    Last edited by clp71220; 01-16-2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: grammer, Louisisana Draw spelin . lol

do you have an EDM......??
    M360
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    87 GN - We sold it a few years back. I have a guy we use locally for it when we need it. The waterjet is better for the machining applications we need. We have 3 of them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I think the answer to your question is definitely diff/bulkhead related. The ERBE is a super tough truck as it is and pretty much all of the potential weak points have already been addressed by aftermarket companies. BUT... the diff bulkhead issue has never been properly tackled. I give mad respect to these guys ^^ who are doing all this modding and grinding by hand to get what they want. But if someone would either
    -Build a bulkhead that accept the LST diff without needing modifications OR
    -Machine a proper diff case that utilizes the cross brace without modifications OR
    -Figure out some other beefed up diff solution (new case that fits in the stock bulkhead but accepts bigger gears for example... im just thinking out loud)

Any one of these things would be very desireable by nearly everyone who runs 6s in an ERBE.

Also, a nice set of chassis braces that connect from the shock tower to the inner shock mounts would be nice. It wouldnt be hard to do and there really is a void in the market for this piece right now. You can do a custom mod, but id prefer something purpose built.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Yes a better bullet proof diff I'm willing to buy them. I just bought me a new revo brushless and I want to push her super hard without blowing up the diffs.

RC poster
    I'm in the verge of getting the front and rear diffs to be built and accept the lst2 gears and go in the bulkheads with no cutting direct fit. My friends cnc friend is going to attempt it with 100% pure billet. So I'll get pics when they arrive and let you know how it goes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That would be nice!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    That would be nice!
    I'm paying him Tommorow I'm so excited. Let's get this rolling, if he can build it right its gonna sweet.burn out burn out at full throttle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No kidding!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Also, a nice set of chassis braces that connect from the shock tower to the inner shock mounts would be nice. It wouldnt be hard to do and there really is a void in the market for this piece right now. You can do a custom mod, but id prefer something purpose built.
    You mean like this?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Really need a good one for the front

RC poster
    hobbyaddiction- Can you get me the model file (.igs or .step format) the CNC guy is using?

RC Qualifier
    If someone could make some aluminum bulk heads for the erevo to accept a high quality 1/8 diffs that would be a huge move forward for the Revo.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That wouldn't bend!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Medas360 View Post
    hobbyaddiction- Can you get me the model file (.igs or .step format) the CNC guy is using?
    That I don't know. My friend knows the guy that's gonna build it. I paid for it. Ill take pics.

RC Qualifier
    bulk that take 1/8 scall diffs seem to make more sence ,there is just more of them compared to the losi diff which seem harder and harder to find

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Really need a good one for the front
    regarding chassis bracers, there is a very easy modification you could do for both the front and rear. I have done it but didnt test it yet. have a look at my post

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5301355
    SUPERMAXX, ERBE, T-MAXX, MERV
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ignis View Post
    You mean like this?
    Nice brace but I know from experience that the thin 2mm thick piece of carbon fiber on top of the shock tower will get shredded in a hurry. CF doesn't react well to large forces applied to a little screw going through it. Better use steel or aluminum at least.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think the other problem is the design of the front 2 piece skid plate. Should be one piece and tied into the steering post

Good luck with your venture mate...I'll be watching...hybrid bulk would be nice.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    MEDAS360 Can your guy reverse engineer the bulkhead if he had one in his hand? They are like $15.00 on ebay. I'll buy a set for you if you give me a shot at the first lot of these hybrid bulks.