RC Qualifier

Kingheadz motor mount question...

Noticed that the kingheadz motor mount does not have the black screw where the motor plate would latch upon. The stock plastic motor mount has a screw that sticks out on the left side. How will the motor be secured if there was no black screw?

RC Qualifier
    I just noticed that the kingheadz motor mount has the same hole where you put the stock black screw in. My mistake.

RC Enthusiast
    Did you have to buy this bearing and adapter for this install ? I picked up this one and if im gonna need any other parts i want to order them now so i will have um.

The one i odered has a bearing in it, but not sure if it will work or if more parts are needed.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/200837681538...84.m1497.l2649

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredfly View Post
    Did you have to buy this bearing and adapter for this install ? I picked up this one and if im gonna need any other parts i want to order them now so i will have um.

The one i odered has a bearing in it, but not sure if it will work or if more parts are needed.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/200837681538...84.m1497.l2649
    I picked up the Traxxas aluminum bearing adapter (Traxxas Part num: TRA6893X). It replaces the stock plastic bearing adapter which melts under constant acceleration and fast speeds. The Traxxas aluminum bearing adapter really works hand in hand with the Kingheadz motor mount. Why? Since both the Kingheadz motor mount and Traxxas aluminum bearing adapter are made out of aluminum, nothing will be melting or warping which equals to no more seizing of bearings.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 01-22-2013 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Fixed typos...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    I picked up the Traxxas aluminum bearing adapter (Traxxas Part num: TRA6893X). It replaces the stock plastic bearing adapter which melts under constant acceleration and fast speeds. The Traxxas aluminum bearing adapter really works hand in hand with the Kingheadz motor mount. Why? Since both the Kingheadz motor mount and Traxxas aluminum bearing adapter are made out of aluminum, nothing will be melting or warping which equals to no more seizing of bearings.
    I had a bearing failure that chewed up the aluminum bearing adapter and spur gear with it. I see that Robinson racing makes a bearing adapter out of brass, but I haven't tried it yet so can't say if it's better.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I had a bearing failure that chewed up the aluminum bearing adapter and spur gear with it. I see that Robinson racing makes a bearing adapter out of brass, but I haven't tried it yet so can't say if it's better.
    My aluminum bearing adapter still works fine. Let us know if you ever plan to try the one Robinson Racing makes.

RC Qualifier
    Thought brass was soft? Ignore me....lol
    Last edited by o0wiz0o; 01-23-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Idiocy

RC Qualifier
    My aluminum bearing adapter still works fine. Let us know if you ever plan to try the one Robinson Racing makes.
    Will do. I didn't like their gears though. They wear out much quicker than the Traxxas pinions.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    Will do. I didn't like their gears though. They wear out much quicker than the Traxxas pinions.
    D@mn. LOL! I just bought the 9 tooth robinson pinion gear...

RC Qualifier
    If you get Robinson racing pinion gears make sure to get the hardened steel ones, they work great

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Qualifier
    D@mn. LOL! I just bought the 9 tooth robinson pinion gear...
    The ones I had were their standard gears, which I thought should have worn fine against a plastic spur. NOT.
    I never tried the hardened ones because in addition to being way too soft, the Robinson gears actually have a narrower tooth width so they don't contact the full spur width. Unless you keep moving it around, this causes a raised ring wear pattern around the circuference of the spur gear. The teeth on the pinion wear into sharp points (like a saw blade), and this then eats up your spur gear prematurely.
    The Traxxas gears are hardened, full width contact, and wear much better. They will outlast quite a few spur gears if you set the mesh correctly and keep the motor screws tight.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    Thought brass was soft? Ignore me....lol
    Brass can range from very soft to very hard depending on what alloy they're using.