RC Enthusiast

Lightbulb Off road setup changes

Out of the box, the car does amazing for bashing.
    But

if you to take your rally too the local off road track, what setup changes would you run? I'm not talking big bad mods, I mean suspension changes.
    ride height, shock mounting locations, camber, tow, springs, things like that.

RC Competitor
    I have had mi e at the track a few times . All I did was move the shock mounts towards the chassis and add more pre load spacers. Worked really well. Only issue is the tires, they do not seem to hook up that well on hard clay. I have heard that the shock caps may have a tendency to break on heavy jumping so I got some aluminum replacements.

RC Enthusiast
    Good info. Thank you very much!
    You didn't re -align the camber or toe?

RC Competitor
    ^^^^^im sure it would help, but I'm not overly familiar with making those changes properly.

RC Enthusiast
    Last night I went over the car to make some changes. I raised the car by moving the shocks in just a bit, then I threaded the shocks down to match the factory shocks. (I changed out my shocks). I then went over the camber and toe.
    the right side of the car had WAY more camber then my left side. so I straightened them out a bit. running about 1 degree and a half maybe two on all four corners. brought the toe out just a tid bid as raising the car would have toed it in a little. (really i didn't change much, about a 1/4 turn on the two turn buckles.

I will take it back to the track sometime in the near future to see if its better.... or worse. lol.

the reason for this thread is because I went to the track about a week ago and I was not doing well at all. now first things first, it was my first time ever on a real off road track!!! but I am by no means new to RC. I do have a huge past with RC, just not off road. :-)
    anyways, it didnt go well. my biggest complaint was the jumps. I just couldn't get her to jump. it would either nose dive, or flip backwards. again, It was my first time. Im sure 90% was driver error... but figured I would try to see if there was a "setup" for off road tracks before attempting again.
    I personally thought the car was too low. seemed like the front bumper dug into the jumps at times. also seemed to bottom out easy. I realize its not a truck, and I don't expect it to preform like one. ;-)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon32 View Post
    it would either nose dive, or flip backwards. again, It was my first time. Im sure 90% was driver error
    I'm brand-new to cars. One thing I'm learning on jumps is to give it more throttle when it's nosing down, and apply the brake when the nose goes up...Cars 101, but easier said than done!

Traxxas Employee
    I would recommend you check out the setup sheets that are at the end of the owners manual here: http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...M-N-EN-R00.pdf . Page 32 has a setup for offroad. Page 33 has the Tarmac setup which is what it comes with out of the box.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you very much! I'll look at that.

The changes I made helped a little more ground clearance. I Did much better tonight.
    I am going too change the shock oil from 30wt to 40wt I think that well help to.

I will admit that "seat rime " really helped. Just more time on course I started too learn what I was doing by the end. Practice practice practice.

Oh I'm also ordering a 2 cell LiPo. Those 3 cells ate just too much on a tack with a noob behind the wheel!