RC Competitor

Clutch Bell bearing questions

I want to get some 5x11x4mm bearings for my 16t clutch bell. The bearing listed in the exploded view is tra4611, which has metal covers. However, I also saw tra5116, which is in the same size and cheaper, but with rubber covers.
    So now, I'm not sure which is better for clutch bell, metal or rubber cover. Any advice will be appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    What is a Metal Shielded Bearing?
    These have a metal shield attached to the outside ring which does not rub the outer race or the balls. They spin more freely than rubber sealed bearings and offer a good balance between maintenance and performance.

What is a Rubber Sealed Bearing?
    A rubber seal touches the inner and outer race and the balls as well on some bearings. Best seal, but slowest.

What are the purpose of the seals on bearings?
    There are two purposes, to keep debris out and lubricant in. The different seal types trade sealing ability for performance. The rubber seal, for example, is the slowest bearing because the rubber is in contact with the rotating bearing surfaces. The open is the fastest because it has no seals to drag. But once an Open bearing gets dirty, its performance will decrease greatly.

In summary rubber seal is little to no maintenance and keeps the dirt and debris out of the bearings
    Metal shields are more maintenance cause they need to be cleaned and oiled cause dirt and debris can get in.

So for clutch bell bearing using stock clutch i use rubber sealed because its low to the ground and has potential to to get dirt fouled. If you were using a 3 shoe clutch that needs to have maintenance once in a while where your taking it aprt then metal shield would be ok cause you could clean and oil the bearing when serving the clutch.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Champion
    Your best bet for clutch bearings are metal shielded bearings or speed bearings. Either one will work but you will get longer life out of the metal shielded in a clutch application. You are not going to want to oil maintenance around the clutch and alot of racers even blow the factory oil out of them before they run them. I buy a 10 pack for ten dollars at Amain and keep them fresh.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Competitor
    Thanks for your great explanation!

RC Qualifier
    I killed a velinion motor in my stampede by over heating it and rather than rebuilding it I just bought a new one but the funny thing is that the bearings from the v motor fit the traxxas clutch bells and since the v motors spin up to 40,000 rpm and operate at over 120*c I figured I'd try them in a clutch bell and I'm happy to report that I have over a gallon on that clutch bell with no problems so far.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's