Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Mixed Thoughts...

I am going to sound CRAZY for saying this, but I am having mixed thoughts if I want to keep my Summit or not. I LOVE it so don't get me wrong, but with the cost of the Summit and things I just bought for it, I have spent over $1000 dollars on it!!! I am selling my old Slash 2wd VXL, so I will have about $350 dollars now, and then I am selling some stuff for a guy and that will put me around $1000 made back. So, maybe I will keep it. Here is the other part though. I am going to miss the speed of my Slash, so I think I am going to buy a Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition to make up the loss. If I get the Slash 4x4 and the rest of the batteries I am trying to get, I will have spent over $1,600 Dollars of my hard earned money. Do you think it would be worth loosing the money to keep the speed and power? I am thinking about just saving and using all my money I make this summer on my rc cars, and then next year when I turn 16 I will stop spending on them unless it is an emergency. Ahhh, I hate the RC Addiction!!!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC poster
    At your age, I prioritized my money to buying a real truck.

RC Qualifier
    Well, my dad is gonna give me his 4 Cyl. Toyota Tacoma when I can drive in a year. It isn't a beefy 4wd, but it would get me where I need to go with good MPG at least!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Boons has a good point.with a real truck you could make extra money hauling etc.but real trucks cost money too.Gas insurance repairs.the question is.
    Are the Rc going to get used regularly?
    Do you really enjoy Rc?
    Then they are a decent investment.
    I would rather see kids outside running a Rc than sitting in front of a screen racking up kills on some video game.
    Just in case you haven't figured it out yet....Rc is not one of the cheapest hobbies out there...lol sadly its too late for me save yourself while y..o.....u still
    Can. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Lol. I need to get a Job working at a LHS or an RC Company. That way I can get the vehicles and still make money. Next summer actually when I turn 16, I am going to drive combines in the fields cause in one year I can make $10,000 that way. I can always save it up for when I move out of my house and start my own life, and I could also put some money aside for my RC Addiction. Then when I get older, lets say 18 or 19, I can get a better job that pays more. All problems solved!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Start-up is always the most expensive for any hobby.

Once I had the RC and the support equipment (batteries, chargers, and power supplies) operating costs are pretty low. I have only had to spend less than $50 in repairs... shipping being most of that $50. Everything else I have spent was for wanted upgrades... not needed upgrades.

That being said...
    I have a mini Revo for flat surface speed, a Mustang to keep my wife happy, and a 10th scale Summit for running over everything I can find; yet I still want one more... a MT4G3, which means more "start-up" costs. Money spent on the RC and money spent on batteries due to battery compartment size. I would like to say that the MT4 will be enough... but only time will tell. lol
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    How did you rack up $1000 in this short amount of time? ... seriously the 'must haves' members recommend you buy... you don't need. A stock Summit is plenty of fun even with nimh... grab a Onyx 245 and some patience you're good to go. Any future money should be spent on batteries and replacement parts after it's broken, nothing else is needed. As for keeping or not, its versatility makes the Summit worth keeping IMO.

What happens in the forums is not real life the bashers I see in the real world run thrashed RCs that are hanging on for dear life held together by duct tape and safety pins, and they are having as much fun as the '$1000+' rigs. Most of these thrashed rigs are Traxxas so if they can hold up to the abuse I was sold.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    How did you rack up $1000 in this short amount of time? ... seriously the 'must haves' members recommend you buy... you don't need. A stock Summit is plenty of fun even with nimh... grab a Onyx 245 and some patience you're good to go. Any future money should be spent on batteries and replacement parts after it's broken, nothing else is needed. As for keeping or not, its versatility makes the Summit worth keeping IMO.

What happens in the forums is not real life the bashers I see in the real world run thrashed RCs that are hanging on for dear life held together by duct tape and safety pins, and they are having as much fun as the '$1000+' rigs. Most of these thrashed rigs are Traxxas so if they can hold up to the abuse I was sold.
    I agree but would add an after market steering servo.

RC poster
    I agree with Jimmy and maxi! We are bombarded daily with advertisements on how this or that will improve our lives. Reading about some of the upgrades on this forum influences with our minds the same way...i want my rig to be as cool as that one or I want my rig to be better...the need to impress. There is sound advice on this forum on how to do these upgrades but if your operating on a tight budget you really need to ask yourself do I really need it. Having been involved with 1/1 off-roading for many years, I have seen many that have spent hard earned money for upgrades that were never used and many hindered the rigs ability. Some of the best trail rigs I have been around were not the type you see in the magazines, others scoff at them because of the way they look, but their shiny high dollar rigs were put to shame on the trail. Use the Summit as is and learn its abilities and weaknesses. If there is a weakness in how you use your Summit then by all means go for the upgrade. An example is the steering. In my case I rarely ever use high gear as I enjoy rock crawling, slow technical climbs are my favorite. The stock steering really lacks. But I could run around my yard and the steering was just fine. It all depends on how your going to use it

RC Qualifier
    I have actually spent most of it on a charger and lipos. Only other things I bought to improve my Summit were skids and that was it. Nothin that high class, but everything comes with a cost.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Jacob - I can all but guarantee that if you sell the Summit, you will regret it later.

RC Qualifier
    Probably. Just got to make some money so I can afford it! Lol I am getting a job this summer so I will have enough to get the racing slash and buy all of the batteries I need for my Summit and the Slash. Then I can save up for a real truck!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Competitor
    Sounds like you have your priorities in order. Jimmie's right though, initial set up is the hardest pill to swallow... Maintaining isn't that bad if one can be satisfied with their setup (let's be honest, who is?!?!).

I don't think I could sell my Summit, it's so versatile and fun to drive.. My Rustler quenches my thirst for speed so I'm done buying cars for a little while!
    Last edited by mattinpa; 01-17-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

If you plan on staying in the hobby the charger setup was, by far worth every penny spent.In reality a set of stock Nimh 3000 mah is not going to leave you satisfied.With the spc batts you don't need anything else for maximum enjoyment of the truck.
    a Ferrari is great to have....but with only 1 gallon of gas the fun won't last very long.
    Same Ferrari full tank of fuel,get the maximum enjoyment.
    You invested in the full tank of fuel option.Instead of the 1 gallon at a time option.charger will be good for other batts you may own for some time to come.Quality batts. I don't see a problem.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    If you plan on staying in the hobby the charger setup was, by far worth every penny spent.In reality a set of stock Nimh 3000 mah is not going to leave you satisfied.With the spc batts you don't need anything else for maximum enjoyment of the truck.
    a Ferrari is great to have....but with only 1 gallon of gas the fun won't last very long.
    Same Ferrari full tank of fuel,get the maximum enjoyment.
    You invested in the full tank of fuel option.Instead of the 1 gallon at a time option.charger will be good for other batts you may own for some time to come.Quality batts. I don't see a problem.

Sent using lipo power
    +1.... LiPo power and all.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    +1.... LiPo power and all.
    +2 for lipo

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    With 8200MaH Lipos, a charger that can charge em at 1C, some spare wheels, bearings, maybe some gears, at first you'll be too broke to go out on the town. But I'd rather spend $2 a piece on parts, spend a couple hours tinkering on the truck while the batteries charge, go for a 2 hour bash/crawl, charge back up, do a pre-flight check, and go back out to drive my truck for another couple hours, than go spend $30 on Houlihans & a movie. ...call me crazy
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    I was wondering, since my Summit is electric and batteries cost a Butt Load, do you thing Nitro would be fun for racing... or is it more expensive?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Nitro ends up costing more in the long run.
    Electric is a higher start-up cost.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chandler View Post
    I was wondering, since my Summit is electric and batteries cost a Butt Load, do you thing Nitro would be fun for racing... or is it more expensive?
    My advice, nitro is more frustrating and would actually cost more long term.

Electric: once you buy a good charger and a set of batts thats all you NEED to spend. Just maintenance.

Nitro: tuning that old style carburetor is a time consuming pain. Glow plugs are cheap ($2) but die often. But nitro cost more than real gas for your 1:1.
    We are talking gas $3.00 a gallon. Nitro $22.00 a quart. My 3.3 revo could use a quart in two weeks

Electric batts ($120) charger ($85)
    $205 and your set for a long time

Nitro receiver batt ($15) cheap charger for that batt ($25) nitro ($35 per month + constant trips to the hobby store) . So in a year we are talking a possibility of $300+
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-17-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Here is a thought. If you wwnt to keep your summit and want some speed you can always buy a brushless system and have more speed for your summit. But....... If your not careful you could break more parts.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    Ok. Thanks for the help.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    Here is a thought. If you wwnt to keep your summit and want some speed you can always buy a brushless system and have more speed for your summit. But....... If your not careful you could break more parts.
    A sensored BL system will crawl way better than the stock titan system.

RC Qualifier
    Off Topic, but there is a squeaking sound that sounds like it is coming from the back of the truck. What could it be???
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Wd40 your suspension. My a arms do that when they get dry.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    NO. put the WD-40 back on the shelf. It's not for your Summit.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    What is for my Summit then???
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Suspension or driveshaft cvd joints would be my guess...I use dry Teflon or dry silicone lube.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by satyrisci View Post
    NO. put the WD-40 back on the shelf. It's not for your Summit.
    Tell me what line #6 on page 21 of the Summit manual says.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    Why wouldn't you want to use WD40 on your Summit? Mine loves the stuff!

RC Qualifier
    Would Tri Flow work? I use it on my bike chains and stuff.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Would Tri Flow work? I use it on my bike chains and stuff.
    I use this stuff. Works well, stops rust, squeaks, and wear. I love it!
    Also, keep checking your tires for tears. I use mine only in snow, and I still find small tears.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    It looks like the sharp edge of the beadlocks cut your tire, may help if you give it a nice radius or bevel the edge

Given the fact they are decorative only, they should be rounded from the start... IMO of course.

RC Qualifier
    I kinda curious on why not use wd40 and in my manual Page 21 line 6
    "been carefully selected". Left column
    "tighten or loosen the pivot ball cap". Right column.
    I don't get it.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    And on a clean up video I saw the guy sprayed everything with WD40
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    I kinda curious on why not use wd40 and in my manual Page 21 line 6
    "been carefully selected". Left column
    "tighten or loosen the pivot ball cap". Right column.
    I don't get it.
    This is what my manual says,
    "6. Spray all the bearings, drivetrain, and fasteners with WD-40 or similar water-displacing light oil"
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

And on a clean up video I saw the guy sprayed everything with WD40
    WD-40 is NOT a lube. The WD part of it stands for water displacment. It helps keep water off of stuff, and it works well for that purpose. If you use it in dusty places, the dust will stick to it where ever the WD-40 is. It just attracts dirt and crud like no tommorow!

RC Qualifier
    So would tri-flow work???
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

So would tri-flow work???
    I'm not sure. Is it a dry lube? Or, does it go on wet, then dry? Or is it always wet?