RC poster

7 years later, I found my old 2.5 Jato!

My girlfriends father and I got to talking and I was expressing to him my interest in a RC Helicopter for fun. It reminded me of the Jato that was at my old house with my brothers. I asked them if they could dig it up, and they were able to find it along with the controller and the chargers and a few other misc parts I had bought for it. I got out of the hobby as I was still in high school because it was to expensive and time consuming for my taste. Now I have plenty of time and money with my current job so I figured it couldn't hurt to pick it back up. I'll be going down to a retail hobby chain tomorrow to pick up some fuel, a new EZ-Start wiring harness and some misc tools. I've attached some pictures of the work I got ahead of me, and was wondering what you guys recommend to get this thing shining and running again.

RC Qualifier
    I see it doesn't have an air filter on it so I would take apart the engine and make sure there isn't any rust inside. I'm sure your gonna clean it before you ran it. I would put up some shock oil some diff fluid and maybe some new tires.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC poster
    I pulled the air filter off before I took the pictures. One thing I don't remember doing was running after run oil. I pulled the glow plug out and attempted to turn it over by hand but wasn't able to budge it. The tires are almost new, but they are just the stock replacement and aren't all that great. I'm going to work on pulling a few things off tonight to get it cleaned up before I take it into HobbyTown tomorrow and see what I can pick up for it. I'm guessing I'm going to use quite a bit of wd40 on the engine tonight and let it sit over night and clean it up and out tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    That might free up the engine. It wouldn't hurt to inspect the inside of the engine just remove the e-z start and back plate and check for rust.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC poster
    I'll be running to wally world in a few hours to pick up some allen wrenches and some WD-40 to get started on it.

RC Champion
    It's clean enough Just get that little engine runnin and your good too go!!

RC poster
    I hope I can, I'm excited to see what it's going to take to get it running. I've already told myself if it's over 60$ to get it running I'm just going to settle for a new 2.5R or 3.3.

EDIT: That is 60$ on the engine alone.

RC Racer
    Subscribed!

I wanna see this thing run again.
    Welcome back

RC Qualifier
    If you can get the engine running, I would just thrash it until it breaks, and throw a 3.3 in.

Buy a can or two of contact cleaner while you're there, and clean the entire vehicle.

RC poster
    Ok, I have the engine out and broke it down and started cleaning it up and lubing it up and was reassembling it when I ran into a problem...maybe.

I re-installed the clutch bell over the flywheel/crank shaft. The flywheel will turn the crank but spinning the clutch/clutch bell will not turn the crank, is this normal? I have the E clip installed and all.

RC Qualifier
    That's normal.

The clutch bell is meant to just spin around the crank shaft. Once you start the engine, and hit a certain RPM, the centrifugal clutch opens, and turns the clutch bell.

RC poster
    Ok, its equipped with the EZ-Start system, and I was curious if my wand and EZ-Start motor were still in working order, so I cut up the harness a little bit and was able to spin the EZ-Start motor. Is this supposed to turn the crank when I put power to it?

Found a stopping point for the engine tonight. I accidentally stripped a small screw on the carb. Fortunately the hobby shops website says they are in stock! Will continue the journey tomorrow!
    Last edited by Varhalla; 01-15-2013 at 01:00 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The crank is meant to turn when you use the EZ start motor, yes.

RC poster
    Any reason it wouldn't turn when the EZ Start motor is turning?

EDIT: Had the one way bearing in the wrong way.....doh. Turns the engine over just fine now!
    Last edited by Varhalla; 01-15-2013 at 01:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Varhalla View Post
    Any reason it wouldn't turn when the EZ Start motor is turning?

EDIT: Had the one way bearing in the wrong way.....doh. Turns the engine over just fine now!
    Haha, I've made that mistake before.

RC Qualifier
    This should be pretty interesting to watch over the next couple of days/weeks.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC poster
    the only difference compared to the 2.5 and the 3.3 is the engine. if you changed the cooling head and the exhaust you wouldnt even know its a 2.5.
    great to see it up and running again.

traxxas the FASTEST name in radiol control!
    traxxas nitro

RC Racer
    Any pictures of the update progress?

RC Racer
    How's this revival coming along?
    Updates?

RC Racer
    Interesting read!!!!!

Any updates to fill is in on????

Remember... A picture says a thousand words!!!!

REVO 3.3
    SAVAGE X 4.6
    JATO 3.3 (Built in progress)

0.1 - German Shepherd (Kahlua)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    REVO 3.3
    HPI SAVAGE X 4.6 Big Block
    AXIAL AX10