RC Champion

Is this a good brushless upgrade?

I was at my LHS yesterday and saw the new Castle SV3 5700kv brushless system.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDAVN&P=ML

I was wondering if this is a good upgrade to get for my Rally?

Let me know what you think!

RC Champion
    The motor is a little to much in the kv department. Your best bet is to stay under 4700kv. For the 1/10 Rally most use Castle 3800sct combo's or the 2400 sct combo. Then there are other brand's to look into, Losi, Tekin, Tacon and HPI. Knowing what the general purpose of the Rally will be for you, be it bashing or racing will make up part of your decision.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Champion
    that motor is not recommended for anything other than a 2wd.

If you want an upgrade, look at the 3800kv motor with that ESC. I like my 3800 SV2 sidewinder.

The 2400 SCT is matched with the Mamba max pro by the way
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 01-14-2013 at 10:05 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The 3800 comes matched with the MMP as well. Which is, ideally, the best setup if you want that motor. The real tipping point between the 2400 and the 3800 is what size battery your going to run. If your going to run 2S, the 3800 is your best option. If your going to run 3S, the 2400 is your best option.

Either are great though and definitely an upgrade from the VXL system.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I just took a look at the 2400kv on the website. It looks likes a nice setup. So I would have to run strictly 3s on the 2400kv and strictly 2s on the 3800kv?

What are the differences between those two? What speeds will I be seeing with either of those?

RC Champion
    Also, can someone link me to these systems mentioned above.

I see the 2400kv, which looks bigger and is more expensive. Then I see the 3800kv and it is smaller and less expensive. Am I looking sat the right ones?

RC Champion
    How about the 4600kv SV3 system?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You CAN run 3S with the 3800 and 2S with the 2400 if you want. But 3S in the 3800 system is probably going to cause alot of heat and 2S in the 2400 system will likely be slow. Thats why they are suggested the other way around.

The cheaper 3800kv system is probably with the SV3 ESC. The SV3 will work... but its not as robust as the MMP ESC... you CAN find the MMP/3800 combo. Its usually called the SCT system. It will actually be priced either the same or even a tiny bit MORE than the 2400kv system with the same MMP ESC.

The 2400kv motor is the same diameter as the 3800, but its longer. It still fits just fine.

IMO, 4600kv is still too high for the 4X4 rally. You could probably gear it to run reasonable temps on 2S but when you can buy the 3800 combo that IS better suited to this platform, why not get it...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I asked about the 4600kv because I can get it for a good price.

I really didnt want to spend too much on a new system. The 2400kv or 3800kv SCT systems are both $220.

I see the SV2 3800kv SCT system is only around $120.

Not sure what I should get......

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    You could probably run the 4600kv system but you will have to gear down and watch your temps. If that is something you want to do on a regular basis go for it. Just a change in terrain you will have to be careful. The MMP/3800kv is another good option like said by Pave and it screams on 2S. If you are wanting a lighter system and not have to beef up other areas, this is the way cheaper option. Going with the MMP/2400kv you will have to beef up a few things sooner or later. Things like the motor mount (King Headz, comes with oversized bearing), shafts, and such. I run this combo and its awesome on 3S, it'll burn up some pavement on anything more.

Hope this helps ya.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    So the SV3 3800kv SCT would be a good choice?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAETT&P=ML

RC poster
    Any experience on the CC esc? Will it handle dirt and moisture as good as the Traxxas esc?
    And does anybody know if the Velineon 3500 is 2 or 4 pole?

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post
    So the SV3 3800kv SCT would be a good choice?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAETT&P=ML
    That one is linked to the Sidewinder v.2. I'd call and make sure they are sending the v.3 one. The new v.3 is 3S capable and should include an ESC fan to I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorn Markset View Post
    Any experience on the CC esc? Will it handle dirt and moisture as good as the Traxxas esc?
    And does anybody know if the Velineon 3500 is 2 or 4 pole?
    I have tons, only run it in almost 10 RC's. LOL The Sidewinder v.2 is water resistant meaning it can handle a splash of water. The new Sidewinder v.3 is waterproof. You know what that means.

The Velineon is a 2-pole motor design.

Hope that helps.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    Yes it does, thanks a lot! ;-)