Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC poster
    that's quick!!! w2g!!!!
    Last edited by Double G; 03-24-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: language

RC Qualifier
    Make that at least two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-dhObJ6bUM

Also, in more cases than one it is not because people are broke, some people don't have the time to put their setups together and when they get them together the weak parts and limited suppliers of parts contribute to build/repair delays.

I am still waiting on stronger parts to be shipped and unfortunately it has taken more than a month since I ordered them or contacted the vendor to see if they can make their current parts stronger.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-03-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bringit View Post

Also, in more cases than one it is not because people are broke, some people don't have the time to put their setups together and when they get them together the weak parts and limited suppliers of parts contribute to build/repair delays.

I am still waiting on stronger parts to be shipped and unfortunately it has taken more than a month since I ordered them or contacted the vendor to see if they can make their current parts stronger.
    is that last pass the part where it almost got run over by the SUV? what are this parts that you order that takes months before you get them? i took care most of the wobbles on mine but what i cant get rid of is the steering drag link, as for now i wrap the screw with teflon tape but few passes its back again.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion

What parts are you waiting on?
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    BTW, I'm thinking of joining this 140+ mph game. Got my new motor today!

Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    is that last pass the part where it almost got run over by the SUV? what are this parts that you order that takes months before you get them? i took care most of the wobbles on mine but what i cant get rid of is the steering drag link, as for now i wrap the screw with teflon tape but few passes its back again.
    I am waiting on a stronger battery holder because I chose not to go the strap route and I am also waiting for a steel pinion gear because I proved the stock gear was strong enough to stay on this setup.

I just want to hit the 120+ speeds with the original Kershaw setup I bought. I bought a new two wheel toy to play with instead so I probably will sell the XO-1 after I hit 120 and prove what it is capable of with a video.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    BTW, I'm thinking of joining this 140+ mph game. Got my new motor today!

What motor did you get? Just curious.
    The Annihilator....fastest XO-1 on planet Earth.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStenchOfSpeed View Post
    What motor did you get? Just curious.
    This is the new High Gear RC 1725kv 300A 7500W 1/5 motor.
    Jeremy

RC Enthusiast
    Ha ha ha ha That is too good! Is that a high tech red neck motor by chance?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by XO1EXTREMESPEED View Post
    Ha ha ha ha That is too good! Is that a high tech red neck motor by chance?
    Yeah man. You can only get it from the south!
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    This is the new High Gear RC 1725kv 300A 7500W 1/5 motor.
    Wow. Sounds like fun.

RC Enthusiast
    I love these cars..great video, good speed

Shame this thread has gone sour jealousy is an ugly thing.

RC Enthusiast
    That's insanly fast!

RC Enthusiast
    AnthonyV stop flying helicopters and come run your XO1's with us again!!!

For the record, anthonyv has successfully clocked 156mph on his 8s xo1 not just 148mph.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for cleaning this thread up Mods.

Miles... since the weather is starting to get nice again I may take the 8s set-up out with you guys one weekend. The car has sat on the shelf since January. Has the road gotten any worse since last time we went out there?
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

This topic has puzzled me for a while. To be honest, at first I had doubts about the possibility of reaching such insane speeds. The reason for that is my own speed run experiences and excitement with a silly Bandit with speeds "only" to around 90mph.

I decided to do some maths to look at the theoretic side for your achievements. I took the acceleration and braking ability of an F1 car. An F1 car can accelerate from 0-60 in around 1.6 seconds. That is around 1.6G. The braking power is even more impressive: up to 4G.

Let's put these figures into some formulas.

From 0 to 148mph is 0-66 m/s. With 1.6G that would take 66/16 = 4.13 seconds.
    That would need a runway of 1/2 x 16 x 4.132 = 136.5 meter (around 455 ft)

Braking with 4G, it would take 1.65 seconds to come to a stand still.
    The brake runway would be 1/2 x 40 x 1.652 = 54.5 meter (around 180 ft)

So with F1 capabilities, you can accelerate to 148 mph and brake to zero in around 190m/635 ft.

Formula for runway:
    s = 1/2 a.t2
    s: distance in meters
    a: acceleration in meters/second2
    t: time in seconds

Conclusion: your XO-1 has F1 like capabilities!

Still amazing what these relatively small cars are capable to do.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Enthusiast
    decided to update this for anthonyv

speeds of 164mph have now been reached according to several radar guns and some pretty high gearing.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome! Pics and video please!

RC Champion
    Miles, you people are gonna want to see video of this claim, right?
    Jeremy

RC poster
    148 mph is freaking fast! No doubt you know what you are doing. And you say you got it to go even faster? Can't wait to see a video of it. Keep up the good work!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles Long View Post
    decided to update this for anthonyv

speeds of 164mph have now been reached according to several radar guns and some pretty high gearing.
    We need Anthony to hit 171.97 now!

XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Miles, you people are gonna want to see video of this claim, right?
    I agree.... VIDEO OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!

We need Anthony to hit 171.97 now!
    I'm pretty sure my current set-up is pretty much at its limits. Dan over at Kershaw contacted me a few months ago about having my 8s XO1 featured in RC Driver. Then he offered me the option of changing my set-up to use a 910kv motor on 12s in order to run even higher gearing in order to combat heat. As you guys may know, the Kershaw 8s set-up installs quite easily (mechanically speaking) but it is far from 'ready to race' in my opinion. There is a lot of programming as well as wiring that Kershaw does not supply. Out of the box, the set-up wouldn't run for even 2 minutes before the ESC would fail. I know that it took me quite some time to get all of the kinks worked out which is why I didn't feel like being a test dummy for a 910kv 12 cell set-up. Why fix something if it isn't broken, right? I would just like to be clear that my 8s set-up originated from Kershaw... but it has been highly modified since. As you can see from the pictures it is also a very simple set-up and works quite well. Roughly 1:1 custom gearing, leopard motor, XL2 ESC (custom calibration), 8 cells, and a lot of work to improve the vehicles aerodynamics. With 'stock' gearing it will usually clock 125-130mph. This is the safest set-up to run on public roads.

On a side note, I have sold my 6 cell XO1 to Winston Smith. I'm sure he will be joining the forums soon to help contribute.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 05-20-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Content

RC Champion
    Anthony, we need some vids man!
    Jeremy

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
    I agree.... VIDEO OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!

I'm pretty sure my current set-up is pretty much at its limits. Dan over at Kershaw contacted me a few months ago about having my 8s XO1 featured in RC Driver. Then he offered me the option of changing my set-up to use a 910kv motor on 12s in order to run even higher gearing in order to combat heat. As you guys may know, the Kershaw 8s set-up installs quite easily (mechanically speaking) but it is far from 'ready to race' in my opinion. There is a lot of programming as well as wiring that Kershaw does not supply. Out of the box, the set-up wouldn't run for even 2 minutes before the ESC would fail. I know that it took me quite some time to get all of the kinks worked out which is why I didn't feel like being a test dummy for a 910kv 12 cell set-up. Why fix something if it isn't broken, right? I would just like to be clear that my 8s set-up originated from Kershaw... but it has been highly modified since. As you can see from the pictures it is also a very simple set-up and works quite well. Roughly 1:1 custom gearing, leopard motor, XL2 ESC (custom calibration), 8 cells, and a lot of work to improve the vehicles aerodynamics. With 'stock' gearing it will usually clock 125-130mph. This is the safest set-up to run on public roads.

On a side note, I have sold my 6 cell XO1 to Winston Smith. I'm sure he will be joining the forums soon to help contribute.

That must be some real custom gearing like you said to be running almost a 1:1 ratio. The Kershaw design on allows up to a 38T pinion and that is using his gears. Now becomes the question since that is not roughly 1:1 who else would make or be able to get gears as well so that maybe you could go larger? Fartofdoom is the only other source now that i know of and i "personally" know the biggest gear that you can get from him to fit the Kershaw design is also a 38T. So where does that leave us since there is no one else that makes or can get these plastic nylon gears, right back to square one. Now you can modify the Kershaw mount to accept bigger gears with a Dremal but you would not be able to go that much bigger. How you are able to get "roughly" a 1:1 gear ratio is beyond me and impressive. Now Dan was telling me that there are ways to change out the spur gear and use something different, but we have since lost contact with each other.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by XO1EXTREMESPEED View Post
    who else would make or be able to get gears as well so that maybe you could go larger?.
    If you watch Nic Case's video above he very kindly thanks the people who have assisted him & he has given you the answer...
    RW Racing
    http://www.rwracing.co.uk/home/main.html
    Neil Stubbington
    neil@rwracing.co.uk

Neil is a very nice guy & will make what ever you need

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PBO View Post
    If you watch Nic Case's video above he very kindly thanks the people who have assisted him & he has given you the answer...
    RW Racing
    http://www.rwracing.co.uk/home/main.html
    Neil Stubbington
    neil@rwracing.co.uk

Neil is a very nice guy & will make what ever you need

OH WOW! Now i see how it can be done! The collars on the gears i have from FartofDoom are 3/4 of an inch O.D. (outside diameter) and if the shaft column was smaller it would give more room in side the Kershaw Design mount for a bigger gear! Now the ONLY bad thing is they are made of metal so would you really be gaining a whole lot then? With the metal gear you will get higher temps in the motor versus the plastic gear? Kind of like choosing your poison in which would be better?!?!?
    Last edited by XO1EXTREMESPEED; 05-20-2013 at 05:33 PM.

RC Champion
    I would suggest steel gears are superior to delrin or other plastics & don't influence motor heat at all (assuming you have the correct mesh)

RC Enthusiast
    I will check them out and maybe get a couple of different sizes and give them a go. I have nothing to loose at this point!! To bad he is not state side though.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PBO View Post
    I would suggest steel gears are superior to delrin or other plastics & don't influence motor heat at all (assuming you have the correct mesh)
    The problem with Delrins are the set screws stripping out. A small rock will also tear those gears up to shreds. That's why I order everything in bulk. The smaller spur gear set-up can be done. It just requires some machining and shaft adapters. It's too bad that they aren't readily available.

RC Champion
    I've thought about taking mine to the drag strip. Get video of that and get them to show your speed and there will be no denying it.
    Jeremy

Gentlemen let's get back on the topic of the car please. If this thread continues to wonder off topic it may be closed.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Is anthony v stil running his 8s setup? Or has moved on to a more powerful one?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for cleaning this up Dadx2mj.

Yes, I am still running the 8s set-up. As I said before, power is not an issue at this point... it's the vehicles aerodynamics. You can have all the power in the world but if you can't put it down to the ground it's not worth anything. That's why I never wanted to waste my time with a 12s set-up. 150-160mph top speeds are fine with me for the track. On public streets I try to limit the speeds to 130-135mph with gearing selection

I just started to tinker with my XO1 again so I'll see if I can get a few of my friends together so that we can have a better video taken. I'm still on the fence about making a custom body... but I end up talking myself out of it due to the fact that it could all go down the drain with one wreck.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
    Thanks for cleaning this up Dadx2mj.

Yes, I am still running the 8s set-up. As I said before, power is not an issue at this point... it's the vehicles aerodynamics. You can have all the power in the world but if you can't put it down to the ground it's not worth anything. That's why I never wanted to waste my time with a 12s set-up. 150-160mph top speeds are fine with me for the track. On public streets I try to limit the speeds to 130-135mph with gearing selection

I just started to tinker with my XO1 again so I'll see if I can get a few of my friends together so that we can have a better video taken. I'm still on the fence about making a custom body... but I end up talking myself out of it due to the fact that it could all go down the drain with one wreck.
    Glad to have you back Anthony! Can't wait to see some vids! I still need to come see you and do some runs. Maybe this summer?
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Just drop me a line whenever you come into town. We need a new area to run at since the old road isn't in the best shape anymore.

RC Champion
    Maybe in a couple weeks. I'm taking vacation and was thinking about visiting the aquarium there. I'll keep in touch.
    Jeremy

RC Enthusiast
    Ne new newz on dis setup? Been thinkin of goin 8s but not sure if itz worth only pickin up another 15-20mph. I see now wut ppl talkin bout taking gps moviez of runz. Gunna try to do dis soon now. Ur a inspiration to us all setting recordz w ur xo1. Pretty tite video.

RC Champion
    Yeah we need to see some vids of your 130 runs.

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    I 100% believe this video is rigged. I have a garmin 101 and I pretty much know how it works. So, I will try to explain what I discovered. The top slot on the garmin has max speed. The bottom left has current speed. The bottom right shows total time, the one we'll be paying attention to. In the video, at 2minutes and 6 seconds, his finger is covering the time up. But, you can clearly tell the third digit is a 5 as he moves his finger and reveals garmin time 4:55 But, between the video time of 2:06 and 2:11 the total remains the same on the garmin (4:55). The time is not running, which means the gps is stopped. He never never preset the button to start or stop which lead me to believe that the gps read 148 before he placed it in the car. So, if the gps was on the time would still be running. And it never shows him pressing the start/stop button.

Nice try.
    Last edited by fastman; 09-23-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    I got skills!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm not totally convinced that he faked it by your reasoning. The Garmin Forerunner 101 has an Auto Pause feature, which pauses the timer when the GPS drops below a certain speed. This could be the explanation for the time staying the same, since he set the XO-1 on the tailgate, and, while it was just sitting there, the time stayed the same. I'm not too sure though why he used a GPS meant for walking and running (probably because it's smaller and easier to fit in the car and adds less weight) although this particular GPS uses up to 12 satellites, so it seems like it should be pretty accurate. I'm just wondering if certain GPSs are only accurate within a certain interval of speed that they were designed for.