Thread: LED bumpers

RC Qualifier

LED bumpers

Dose traxxas make 1/16 size LED summit bumpers with actual led lights in them like on the 1/10 summit? I am makeing mine look like an offroading jeep and the led's in the bumpers would really set it off and make it stand out. I looked buy i did not see any.
    Slash 2wd LCG,

RC Champion
    Yes they do sell them.
    Traxxas has a front set with 4 white lights,a back set with 2 red lights,and a full set which includes both front and back,plus 4 for the lightbar on the roof...with a replacement lightbar with holes for the leds.

Bad thing is... NOBODY has them in stock...not even Traxxas.
    I've looked everywhere.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

yes of course the mythical Mini Summit VXL Led Light kit. There has been a part # for it for 2 years now and i have never seen one...
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Champion
    Yeah..I actually talked to them(Traxxas parts) Friday...and they were no help at all.lol.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

i remember having a full set on order at my LHS for 7 months, before i gave up on them.

RC Qualifier
    Oh thats not cool, I thought i heard about them though. I bought the summit bumpers but now that i cant get led's i might get the RPM bumpers. I'm useing a Jeep body so i want them to look like they belong. Thats not cool though.
    Slash 2wd LCG,

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You can buy an Axial LED set with a control box (not sure what the control box does) for $27 from tower hobbies. I just picked one up for my daughters mini summit. It comes with 4 white and 2 red LEDs, all the wiring and the program box. Im hoping the box does something with the tail lights when you hit the brakes or reverse or something. Traxxas also sells a smaller size LED light bar (in stock at traxxas as well) that would fit the mini summit body I think .
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I'll check those led's out. I am still not sure if i should just get the RPM bumpers though. I hate spending extra $ to make my truck look cool.
    Slash 2wd LCG,

RC Champion
    I like the factory bumpers just fine.
    I just want the bumpers to light up anyway...not worried about the roof bar.
    mainly because I'm eventually replacing the body with the proline Raptor.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

Someone told me that you can make the 1/10 kit fit the 1/16 light buckets. Not sure how much there is too it though. I sold my VXL Summit before i got around to trying it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Someone told me that you can make the 1/10 kit fit the 1/16 light buckets. Not sure how much there is too it though. I sold my VXL Summit before i got around to trying it.
    I thought about that too, I think from the pics i saw the led sizes are the same. I think that would work, I would just cut off the extra ones.
    Slash 2wd LCG,

RC Qualifier
    BillsCustomLights has led already made for cheap.
    With 9v or plug into reciever
    I had him shorten the wires for me on my daughters mini so she can have a bit of light when driving around in the evening so she knows where she bumping into
    Didn't want all that extra wires

RC Champion
    I saw the 1/10 kits(separate kits for front and rear) at a LHS and wondered if they would work.
    The rear kit had 6 red LED's.I actually though about getting it and extending the wires on 4 of the rear red ones and making them shine out of the wheel wells.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I'm about to find out. I bought the led lights for the 1/10 summit and i am pretty sure they will fit into the led holes in the bumpers. I will be cutting 4 red led's off though because there are only 2 red led holes in tha back. I also will shorten the wires too though.
    Slash 2wd LCG,

RC Champion
    Post pics...if they work I'll go buy them this week.
    Did you have to buy the front set,rear set,and center harness?
    Our HS had all three in stock..plus the 1/10 light bar kit.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

the 1/10 roof bar is likely too big for the 1/16 summit.

It is 4" wide. Not sure if that would work on the 1/16.

RC Champion
    yeah...not interested in the bar...but I could drill holes and make the leds work in my bar...if I wanted to...not interested in top lights though
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    yes of course the mythical Mini Summit VXL Led Light kit. There has been a part # for it for 2 years now and i have never seen one...
    Don't get me started on this subject...

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...d-LED-kit-When
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Champion
    So...we've only been waiting a little over 2 years?
    Wow...we sure are an impatient bunch aren't we? </sarcasm>

Paraphrased right out of PeterV's post in another thread..." You can Hobby Up and make your own for now. I'll get back to you in 2014."

Lol... Not being ugly...just making a joke to make light of our begging for "the correct kit".
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Racer
    The simplicity of makng a light set is just that, simple if your solider skills r up to the task and you have a basic electrical knowledge
    And you google around all the info is out there add a bit of wire some heat shrink and a
    rewarding project is born but beware if your power supply is lipo a short can lead to a fire or burns or even worse.
    Radio shack has 3volt leds, wired in parallel that can run off a button cell if you go in series
    The game changes a bit.

For the plug and play folk i feel your pain and understand the frustraition but if you enjoy
    the diy stuff bulding your own lite kit is well worth the effort...
    Last edited by yellowufo; 01-14-2013 at 06:44 AM.

RC Racer
    The simplicity of makng a light set is just that, simple if your solider skills r up to the task
    And you google around all the info is out there add a bit of wire some heat shrink and a
    rewarding project is born but beware if your poower supply is lipo a short can lead to a fire
    Radio shack has 3volt leds wired in parallel that can run off a button cell if you go in series
    The game changes a bit.

For the plug and play folk i feel your pain and understand the frustraition but if you enjoy
    the diy stuff bulding your own lite kit is well worth the effort...

You can definitely use the 1/10 summit LEDS. Traxxas gets their LEDS from the same vendor. If they fit in the summit they will fit in the mini summit. On top of that, all LEDs have very simiilar specifications. Even if they were a hair too small you could always use a dab of shoo goo or something to hold them in tighter. I converted the stock roof light bar on the 1/16 summit to an LED bar myself using 4 random LEDs I had laying around.

I much prefer having them plugged into the RX for power. Especially the ones on the bumpers since they never have to be unplugged. Running ANOTHER battery just seems like more to think about and more hassles. Plugging into your RX for power works fine on the 1/10 summit, theres no reason it wouldnt be equally as simply on the 1/16

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii hate my tablet lol
    Last edited by yellowufo; 01-14-2013 at 09:49 AM.

I used a set of RC LEDs I got in a big lot of random stuff I bought a while ago. I have no idea what voltage they are but they worked fine. I assume, because they were designed to be plugged in to the RX they must be 5 or 7 volt capable. But again, not sure. All I did was drill a hole in the chrome light bucket (on the roof), slide the LED in and add a drop of CA on the back to secure it. They were TIGHT.

The front and rear bumpers already had them on that truck.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Never seen a 5 or 7 volt led in the 3-5 mm size most r 1.2 to 3.5 all depends how thry r wired

RC Racer
    What is the voltage out of the rx? I think its 4+ but not sure the exact for the mini summt