Thread: Shock questions

Hybrid View

RC Champion

Shock questions

So my rear shocks are not as perky as they used to be. They don't spring back up like they used to. The front is fine, it pops back up quick but not to fast. I'm just wondering what I can do. I have the stock shocks that came on the old ultimate. Do I need to just buy new shocks? I have read that people put different kinds of oil in them. What does that do? I'm not a racer just a basher so don't have to have anything crazy but would like to keep the back end off the ground with out too much preload.

RC Champion
    It's not your shocks its your springs. They suck to start with so its not you or the truck. Try the Red T-maxx springs (TRX 4957) they are great for bashing.You won't a inch of preload with them.

RC Champion
    Anyone else have suggestions?

RC Racer
    Try the linear Hot Racing sets with 3 different spring rates each! I use the blue for street and the silver and red for off-road tracks. I tried the green and blue Losi springs also. But I dont like them very much because they are to soft in my oppinion.

SLF63MR268 ($8.88)
    SLF48MR268 ($8.88)

The oil influences the reaction time of the shocks. A lower WT rate means thiner oil and faster reaction. A slash comes stock with 50WT in front and 40WT rear. I use 42,5WT front and 32,5WT rear.
    Last edited by Beholder_74; 01-14-2013 at 09:47 PM.

RC Racer
    Ofna lx2 front shocks. Mount up without modification. They also are alot bigger bore. They also have threaded shock bodies and aluminum shock caps. At $25 they are amazing.

RC Racer
    I will never understand why people change shocks so fast without experimenting with the stock shocks. Yes, I heard a lot of the Pro-Line shocks but they are very expensive. Im driving for about a year and dont see a reason to change the stock big bores... Ok, I dont like the stock setup of the shocks, too...You just have to change springs and oil and they work great.

And yes... Maybe I will change the shocks soon or later. But one thing is for sure, they are at the end of my upgrade list.
    Last edited by Beholder_74; 01-14-2013 at 10:36 PM.

RC Champion
    Ya I'm obviously not wanting to change my shocks right off the bat as I have had the truck for two years and haven't done anything with the shocks. I have just noticed that the back isn't the same as it used to be. I think I might just get springs and oil unless there's a reason I should get new shocks. Is there? And if I get oil what should I get for bashing? Higher or lower WT?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    Ya I'm obviously not wanting to change my shocks right off the bat as I have had the truck for two years and haven't done anything with the shocks. I have just noticed that the back isn't the same as it used to be. I think I might just get springs and oil unless there's a reason I should get new shocks. Is there? And if I get oil what should I get for bashing? Higher or lower WT?
    Just trie my setup... Oil from Team Associated factory Team... 42,5WT front and 32,5WT rear with linear silver Hot Racing springs (from the sets)... All together for around 24 bucks. And so you can experiment with the springs from the sets, the shock positions and the shock pistons that come with your truck...

The right setup depends on your driving conditions, weight of the truck (batteries) and last but not least on your driving style.
    Last edited by Beholder_74; 01-15-2013 at 03:12 AM.

RC Champion
    There are a few thing's that can make the rear shock's do what you said. Yes people posting about this are right. Have you checked to see if you have a bent inner hinge pin? Do the spline's on the drive shaft need to be cleaned. This will all cause the issue's you are talking about. People sometime's don't think about that being an issue but trust me it is. Just a bit of dirt or dust on the drive shaft can cause it to act as you stated it is. Also it is sometime just a bent or dirty inner rear pin. cleaning these part's can improve suspension performance and get rid of the rear sag.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Racer
    I have the big bore shocks and was thinking about going to the green and blue Losi springs. Will it be worth the change?? I just like to bash.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrslt1 View Post
    I have the big bore shocks and was thinking about going to the green and blue Losi springs. Will it be worth the change?? I just like to bash.
    I have both Losi sets for the whole car too and I dont like them much. The green springs are much to soft and the blue ones just a little bit stiffer. I think the idea to use them comes from a time with no alternative slash springs because the car was new on the market. I just can say that Im satisfied with the linear Hot Racing sets and these sets are cheap too. The softest springs (red) from the sets are compareable with the with the blue Losi springs.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Beholder_74 View Post
    I have both Losi sets for the whole car too and I dont like them much. The green springs are much to soft and the blue ones just a little bit stiffer. I think the idea to use them comes from a time with no alternative slash springs because the car was new on the market. I just can say that Im satisfied with the linear Hot Racing sets and these sets are cheap too. The softest springs (red) from the sets are compareable with the with the blue Losi springs.
    I just bought the losi springs today. Should have checked in first ha ha ha. i will see how they work this weekend. If I don't like them then it's back to PCH Hobby's I go!