RC Champion

MMP 3800 Combo or mmp 2400.

Iam thinking of getting this combo.I have read a bunch of old threads.I would like to know how all of you that have this combo.Pros and cons or should i go with the MMP 2400.They are both close in same price range. Iam building a 4x4 pede over the winter months.Not sure what batteries i want to buy yet.They most defiantly be from SPC.

RC Qualifier
    3-4s, go with the 2400kv combo, 2s, go for the 3800kv combo.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by snookerd1206 View Post
    3-4s, go with the 2400kv combo, 2s, go for the 3800kv combo.
    When I look at the prices, you get more power per dollar when you get the 2400 (from what I have found).
    The 2400 is definately the more powerful one of the two. I have used the 3800 on 3S too without problems.

Both work great when they are paired with a Mamba Max Pro.

SPC is a great choice in my opinion.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Champion
    Peter. You have used 3s with the 3800 combo with out any heat problems.What gearing did you use.
    I plan on putting 2.2 wheels(rpm wide) and mashers for tires.
    Dose the added weight of the bigger motor and battery effect the truck at all ?
    I love SPC batteries. Tom seems to be a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    Peter. You have used 3s with the 3800 combo with out any heat problems.What gearing did you use.
    I plan on putting 2.2 wheels(rpm wide) and mashers for tires.
    Dose the added weight of the bigger motor and battery effect the truck at all ?
    I love SPC batteries. Tom seems to be a great guy.
    I dont remember the gearing, but the right gearing is also depending on what you want to do with it.
    Both the 3800 and 2400 are powerful enough to make your Pede fly without noticing there is a motor or a battery in your car.

As far as my experience goes, Tom IS a great guy. A true professional who knows how to make customers happy.
    Nobody is born with experience.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Yo Wut up snow!!!

Like Petertje said you get the best bang for your buck going with the 2400kv motor. You will require at least a 3S and you can do a lot with it. I run it in a couple of my RC's and its a beast of a motor. I think with this you will have to worry less about heat and have more fun. I ran my P4de with stock parts for the longest. After finishing upgrading my other RC's I came back to this one months ago and beefed up a lot of areas just in case.

You ran the 4000kv Vektor motor in your last one. How did you like that setup. It would be dang close minus a little extra heat possibly.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    I have the 2400 and love it. geared 20/54 with no heat issues at all on 3s. maybe slightly faster top speed then the vxl. but wayyyyyy more power. I plan on getting a 4s soon

No doubt you can develop more power with the 2400 but it has a cost. You need more battery voltage and a beefed up drive train to handle the power.

I am happy with 2s and the 3800kv motor. I get speeds in the 45-50 mph range and am still on my original drive shafts and drive line components.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    No doubt you can develop more power with the 2400 but it has a cost. You need more battery voltage and a beefed up drive train to handle the power.

I am happy with 2s and the 3800kv motor. I get speeds in the 45-50 mph range and am still on my original drive shafts and drive line components.
    true. the 2400 will eat plastic shafts. youd defiantly need to upgrade your shafts with it

RC Champion
    Hey Digger.
    I did run the Vektor 4000kv motor in my last 4x4 pede.
    With a 17 tooth pinion and 54 spur.Temp on motor if i remember right was around the 160* mark. ESC was 120* i think. On 2s.
    So Digger you think the 3800 will be close to the vektor as far as speed and temps. Is the 2400 motor and esc hard to fit in a pede chassis? I did like the vektor motor with the MMP ESC. I do want to run the 2.3 wheels instead of the 2.8 stock ones. That should keep the temps down a bit also.

Dad. What gearing are you running for the 2s setup?
    I do plan on beefing up the axles. Mips or Tenkos.
    Last edited by snowfighter; 01-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Oh yeah it'll be of the same performance if not better. You should run a handful if not more lower in temps. Like Dad said up there you can do a lot with the 3800 motor. Remember the castles are a 4-pole motor so you can do a lot more with them vs the stock vilineon 3500 2-pole. This will save you some buckaroos to use in other areas of the project. You can beef up the motor mount to King Headz and the HR motor plate. Those will also work in conjunction and lower temps as they will act as a huge heatsink.

If you decide on the 3800kv i'd start out with the stock gearing and run a pack and check temps and go from there.

BTW you do know Dad runs a Castle 5700kv setup in his P4de. That has to be one sweet setup for sure.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 01-13-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Dad. What gearing are you running for the 2s setup?
    17/54 on G-Loc tires.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    17/54 on G-Loc tires.
    Cool! I'll check out the MMP 3800 when the verlineon motor stops working on mine.

RC Champion
    Speaking of the castle 3800, I ended up picking one up today. I will run 2s and 16/54 gearing to start in my p4de. I never intended to pick one up, but I stopped at the lhs looking for another body, saw it in the display case, and couldn't resist.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Snowfighter, Teknos.

RC Qualifier
    dgudenau,
    That's one nice purchase man!

Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    Speaking of the castle 3800, I ended up picking one up today. I will run 2s and 16/54 gearing to start in my p4de. I never intended to pick one up, but I stopped at the lhs looking for another body, saw it in the display case, and couldn't resist.
    Dude what happened to your tenshock man???.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    Digger your thoughts on the Vektor being about the same or a tad better.So iam leaning toward the MMP 3800. on 2s.
    The vektor was not a bad motor.I only ran it a few time before i sold the truck to Motorstuff. I had Geared at 17/54 temps only got to about 160* Motorstuff ended up with my old 4x4 pede. I have a few months to build the pede. Iam in no rush its winter her in NH.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    Snowfighter, Teknos.
    Will the Tenkos with the ProTrac system?

Nice to hear from you snow hope you and your family are all good man.Have a look at the tenshock 4 pole 550 motors dude i am running one now and its mental on 2s and 3s with 17t pinion and 54 spur with temps on 3s around 145-150f...peace

RC Champion
    Spenn, All is good here. I will take a peek at the Tenshock motors. 3s with temps like that can't be all that bad.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Dude what happened to your tenshock man???.....peace
    I don't know if my batteries are too weak for it, but (they have a 40 c rating) the performance is really poor at the low end speed. Even after re-writing throttle curves and messing with the castle link, I cannot get it to accelerate at a respectable rate. I'm testing the castle to see if the same occurs. Besides, I could use either the castle or the tenshock in my rustler which is in need of a new motor.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos
    .Have a look at the tenshock 4 pole 550 motors...peace
    I did some reading on these motors.They say they are amp hogs like the Castle motors. what size 550 motor do you run? 3500,3800 ect.

I run the sc411 3500kv and hobbywing sct pro 120a esc with battery packs of 45c ranking upwards.yes they are amp hogs but its worth when you pull that throttle wide open dude...peace