RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Remove ignition key only in Parking?

Hey Guys,

Just got a VW Jetta with automatic transmission, the only way to remove the key from the ignition is to put it on Parking...

I was wondering if that's the same on all other cars... Because I want to leave the car in Neutral when I park but with the hand brake on...

Thanks!

Daniel.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

Why would you want to engage in such an unsafe practice?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    It's a safety feature. It's their for a reason.

Don't understand why you wouldn't put the car in park.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Why would you want to engage in such an unsafe practice?
    First, you have to understand a cultural thing, here 90% of the cars have manual transmissions and we use Neutral... So, having an automatic transmission can cause some "troubles"... For example...

At home, where I park, I share the space with another neighbor, one car goes in front of the other, in a row, so, in order for my neighbor to leave I have to move my car first... When I had a car with manual transmission, I left the car in neutral and he could push my car forward by hand, leave, and then push it back, now he can't do that if I'm not there...

Another reason, if I leave the car in the street, and if it gets towed while in Parking, will ruin it (trust me, those guys are not gentle)... We usually leave the car in neutral if it's on an horizontal surface...

And, I have a few other examples... But, basically, the first one is why I'm asking...

RC Champion
    Ummmm that's a huge safety issue. What happens if kids push those veh out into the street causing a fatality? The kids will not be held responsible u will. As for getting towed if they damage your veh its their responsibility for repairs that is why they always lift the drive wheels.

Maybe a spare key,Then he doesn't have to push it every time unless he wants too.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    All automatic cars in the past 25 or so years have had parking interlocks tied to the ignition key switch.
    Newer cars used an electronic solenoid, so you could wire up a switch to disengage the interlock and pull the key out with the transmission in any gear.
    Older cars used a cable attached between the shifter and the key switch.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    All automatic cars in the past 25 or so years have had parking interlocks tied to the ignition key switch.
    Newer cars used an electronic solenoid, so you could wire up a switch to disengage the interlock and pull the key out with the transmission in any gear.
    Older cars used a cable attached between the shifter and the key switch.
    Their is a much easier way on all cars but im not saying anything this is just dangerous.. And you cannot do the rewire with a VW as everything is tied into the computer and alarm so you mess with anything it creates huge issues

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oh, well, I guess I'll have to live with it, find other ways to handle this new way of life... Thanks guys!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Their is a much easier way on all cars but im not saying anything this is just dangerous.. And you cannot do the rewire with a VW as everything is tied into the computer and alarm so you mess with anything it creates huge issues
    Not all cars have the shifter disengage slot.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    All the ones I have worked on have had it. Some are just hard to find. I have worked for or on pretty much everything

RC Qualifier
    Most automatic cars have a shift lock button or something along those lines where you can push it in when the car is turned off and engage in any gear you want. So if you really want to after you've turned your car off you can put it in neutral, only if your car has this button of course.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Oh, well, I guess I'll have to live with it, find other ways to handle this new way of life... Thanks guys!
    You could probably override it, if it's completely necessary.
    Matthew 7:7

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    Not all cars have the shifter disengage slot.
    Every car I've worked on in the past 15 years has had one. At least as far as I recall. The vehicle in question in this thread definitely has one. As already stated, some of them can be hidden very well.

RC Qualifier
    What year Jetta is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxximum Overdive View Post
    What year Jetta is it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In Canada is called Jetta City, in Mexico is called Jetta Classic, here is called Bora. But, it's an MK4 with a restyle.

I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for one of these cars. I had a 2013 in for repairs recently and had to use the park release button because the restraint system (air bags) was disabled and I didn't want to throw a code while moving the car. After looking at the pic of your car again, the one I repaired recently may have been a Passat, but that shouldn't make a difference.