Where are the yard maintenance Gurus?

So, I have to make a choice here...

Last fall I moved up here to Norther Idaho. Its pretty up here, but I really came for the job, and surely not the bitter cold....

I know I need a snow blower, my driveway is about 30' x 40', takes me about two hours with a shovel, takes my neighbors about 10 minutes with the snow throwers... I need to get a snow blower, dual stage.

Everwhere else that I don't have to clean off in the winter, I have to mow in the summer, which is almost an acre. I mowed it last weekend and it took me about 3.5 hours with my little 21" push mower. That is 3.5 hours before weed eating... I know I need a riding mower.

Now the choice:
    A. Get a riding mower (~ $1200) and a snow blower (~ $1000)

or

B. Get a riding mower (~ $1500) and a blower attachment (~ $1200)

Oddly enough, getting one machine that does both is more expensive, so I am leaning towards to seperate machines. But, other than saving some space in my shop, are there any advantages to getting the riding mower with the attachment, are there any disadvantages?

Thanks.

TRAXXAS...
    Your next RC should be a RC mower with a snowblower attachment, I'd buy one if it were < $2k!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Rc sparks group on YouTube made a rc 6axle crawler with a snow blower if you want to see one working. I feel that a snow blower on a mower is just asking for failures somewhere. But I could be wrong. To me, snow feels heavier than wet grass. I haven't seen real snow since 2004 down in Texas. A 48" riding mower will get the lot mowed in about 45 minutes to an hour. To me, its a personal preference but I feel two separate machines designed to do their own job is what is needed. If you really wanted to have a fancy mower then get a "0-turn" mower. They ride the best and cut time in pizza slices and eats it cold for breakfast. But of course with your budget, a 48"-54" riding mower should be on point. Most brands are good. The only thing that will kill the equipment fastest is the user abuse so as always maintenance is key. Best of luck finding a good deal!
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

RC Qualifier
    Or; unless you must have a snow blower you could spend the $1200 on the riding mower then another $300 and get the snow blade attachment instead. It would save some money. Just a thought though.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

I was in a similar boat as you a couple years ago. Lowe's used to have--they still may--have a 10% off coupon for those that moved. I used one to buy my Husqvarna 48" rider along with a couple appliances and with free delivery. Love the machine and would not go back to a push. Instead of over two hours of mowing, it's down to about 45 minutes. My driveway is not as big and most of the snowfalls are not enough to warrant a two-stage and I enjoy working out so I end up shoveling. I may go single stage as my neighbor loves to use his two around the cul-de-sac. Not knowing how much snow you get there at a time but a blade may be the more cost-efficient route.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Get the separate tools. It takes more effort but when it's bitter cold the extra exercise will help you keep a little bit warmer. I like John Deere. They have some 4ws lawnmowers than can run almost any type of attachment. They might be out of your price range though. FYI the craftsman riding mowers won't go through tall grass ( 3-4ft) without lifting up. They probably won't run a snowblower very well. This might be different on newer models though.
    1:16 Slash vxl
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler vxl

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Don't be afraid to search places like Craigslist for used stuff either. I found $4,500 commercial walk behind mower that was used only for a guys own yard (residential) for $350. Yes, it is 15 years old, but it looks brand new and runs awesome. Usually starts 1st pull. I got my 26 year old snow thrower for $75. It also starts easy, 2nd pull usually, and works great. I find that if you search diligently and be patient you can find great used equipment for a decent price. Besides that, the older stuff is made a LOT better than the newer stuff... no matter what the brand is. That alone is why I searched for older used equipment that is well taken care of.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Get one machine that does both. The more machines you have the more maintenance you have to keep up with and the more money in parts you will need to spend.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    Get one machine that does both. The more machines you have the more maintenance you have to keep up with and the more money in parts you will need to spend.

Buy a mower with a warranty that you like if you don't want to work on it. They are more simple than working on a vehicle so I think it shouldn't be an issue repairing it anyway. Finding parts is probably harder for off-brands though.
    Of course, the way you asked is asking for opinions. I don't think anyone will come up with a right answer. Just go with what you like and feel under your own strength that you could do comfortably.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

Thanks for the input!!!

Brands:
    For stuff like this I normally stick to name brands, parts and support are a lot easier.

RC Qualifier
    Due to my location, im not familiar with that snow stuff, but for a mower id look into an exmark rider (not sure on used value) or an exmark walk behind.

I actually like walk behinds more then riders due to fitment weight, and maneuverability. They can be had for 1000 to 1500 and up.
    People Eating Tasty Animals

The combo I have been looking at the most is Craftsman. In the winter the mowing deck comes off and the blower goes on the front, power is gotten from the same pully.

RC Enthusiast
    If you have a gravel driveway do not get a walk behind snowblower you will have to wrestle with it. If you have concrete or paved a walk behind is no problem. IMO I like the wider cut the better less time out in the cold. If you can swing it I would get the rider with the snowblower attachment. I have a John Deere rider but I also have a plow on my truck to do my driveway, it is quite long and we get a lot I'd snow here. We ended up with 138" for the season. If I had to get a new rider I would get the JD D170 I think it is. Lowes has it for $2700. I have a friend that has 6 JD's from 15 HP to 50 HP with no problems. Good luck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Most (if not all) residential riding mowers are made by the same company... MTD. This includes John Deere, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, ect, ect, ect. and even the cheap "store brand" mowers.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Most (if not all) residential riding mowers are made by the same company... MTD. This includes John Deere, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, ect, ect, ect. and even the cheap "store brand" mowers.
    Jimmie is probably correct. It is all personal preference. I like the options/features on the John Deere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Good to know...

My driveway is concrete, I have a 20x40ft gravel area to the side of my driveway and house, but in the winter that stays covered with snow.