RC Competitor

Fixed my Lipos today.

I picked up my Revo used. It had a pair of 3s lipos with it, but the balance plugs had broken wires. My charger didn't want anything to do with them. I bought a pair of new 2s and have been running them (plenty of power). But I got brave and opened the 3s's up today. After getting in there, I stripped the little wires and soldered them back onto the batt terminals. Pretty simple but it was a lil nerve racking at 1st. I charged them up and they work great again.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...1-12125404.jpg
    Don't try this at home!

RC Competitor
    By the way, I'm Robb. Years ago(like 20), I raced all over the state of MI. I was never a great driver but I had a ton of fun. Then kids came along and I put my toys away. Then about a year ago a friend of mine kept buggin me to pull out my old truck. Well I finally did about a month and a half ago. Not long after that, it got upgraded to BL and then Lipos. WOW! What a game changer those two were for the RC world! Ok, so then I decided I was going to buy a Slash 4x4. I started looking on CL and ran across a great deal on a Mamba Revo. It was all jacked up, with a Raptor body on it. It was really hard to keep on its wheels. I took the long travel stuff off and put a Revo body back on it. I have several parts ordered for it so far. I have to say it is a fun beast! I still may buy a Slash 4x4, but the Revo is SIK FUN!!
    Don't try this at home!

Welcome & good choice of trucks, unless you just want a different truck. Get another Revo, then you don't need so many different spare parts.......Could build a Slayer instead.....my next truck if I ever get this one built....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I bought an e maxx after my revo just for something different. My daughter loves it
    Keep an eye on that 3 cell. You don't know what its been through

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Keep an eye on that 3 cell. You don't know what its been through
    Yea, I had to fix both of them. I stayed with them the whole time they were charging. I ran them early this afternoon and charged them again tonight. So far, so good.
    Don't try this at home!

RC Competitor

Don't try this at home!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That body almost glows in the dark! What other mods are you planning?

RC Competitor
    I am debating on putting the true-track rear on because I have steel axles already. I just ordered a swaybar kit and new wheels & tires. I will probably upgrade the diffs, but not until I have an issue with the stockers. I never seem to be able to leave my stuff alone, so who knows what else.

The reason it looks like its glowing is, its under a black light.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    Don't try this at home!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's a good reason! I would probably wait til you break a rear arm. Diffs good luck I wild atleast shim them but some are tighter then others so you might be lucky

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbVII View Post
    I picked up my Revo used. It had a pair of 3s lipos with it, but the balance plugs had broken wires. My charger didn't want anything to do with them. I bought a pair of new 2s and have been running them (plenty of power). But I got brave and opened the 3s's up today. After getting in there, I stripped the little wires and soldered them back onto the batt terminals. Pretty simple but it was a lil nerve racking at 1st. I charged them up and they work great again.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...1-12125404.jpg
    Just outta curiosity, were the wires themselves broken, or did the solder points fail? The reason I ask is i'm having the same problem. When charging one of my 3s batteries, the charger shows cell connect error. I resoldered every wire to the battery, and still get the error message. I'm thinking one of the balance wires is broken inside the wire casing. Gonna steal a balance connector off a set of hardcase charge leads I dont use.
    addicted much....

RC Competitor
    Mine were broke off right down at the solder point.
    Don't try this at home!

RC Competitor
    Oh yea, I am going to do a single servo conv too.
    Don't try this at home!

RC Competitor
    Is it a good idea to put the true track stuff on my revo when I am using steel axles? It seems I have heard they tend to make the axles pop out. Is that true?
    Don't try this at home!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    True track is nice but you might have problems with cvds. You may be able to run extended cups but I would run long summit shafts
    Rpm arms flex instead of breaking so there is a problem

RC Competitor
    Do you know the part number of the shafts I need?
    Don't try this at home!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Traxxas 5656 but that's for the long shaft only. Search ebay they have take offs all the time
    I bought these http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-5607-T...item589a91eb9a then these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Summ...item2326ccb48b
    Summit takes two.short and two long and revo takes 4 long
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-20-2013 at 09:09 PM.

RC Competitor
    My swaybar kit came today. I got them installed and what a difference! I almost can't see why the BL revo doesn't come with them. When I took it out to test it with 6s, it doesn't seem so insanely fast. It still is, but it handles so much better and is much more controllable. That, and my new taped badlands make it a whole different animal. Now I am going to gather my parts to do my single servo conv.
    Don't try this at home!

RC Competitor
    My new road rollers came today!
    Don't try this at home!

RC Competitor
    Got my new 7600mah batteries. Hello run time!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...1-24124019.jpg
    Don't try this at home!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    nice! now you need traxxas aluminum wheelie bar wheels

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    nice! now you need traxxas aluminum wheelie bar wheels
    I been eyeballin'em! I'm havin trouble justifing the cost for 2 lil wheels. They have a good bling factor though!

Don't try this at home!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    and they have rubber wheels!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks good, love the color.

RC Competitor

Got my new servo saver in the mail. So I went my LHS and picked up my new servo today!

Don't try this at home!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you do plan a bec with that!

RC Competitor
    You sayin I will need one? They told me that I don't, with this servo @ my LHS. They said that is why they stock this servo. I guess I trusted they knew what thy were talkin about.

Don't try this at home!

Try it first, but if you get any glitching or brown out you will need the EXT BEC..
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5358455

right now I have mine wired for 2s or 3s.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5394611
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Competitor
    The weather finally got decent enough to take my rev out and check out my single servo set up. So far so good! No BEC, and it worked flawlessly. I ordered a glitch buster but its not here yet. I may not even need that. I am really happy with my HW ESC. I was only out for about 10min before I broke a knuckle, so I didn't get to do a full run with it.
    Don't try this at home!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With the castle esc you would probably have problems

RC Champion
    The reason 50 is telling you about the external BEC is two fold and one doesnt apply since you dont run a castle ESC.
    The Savox servos are extremely power hungry and cause a lot of problems dragging down the control voltage for the entire truck. Ive seen folks have issues even with non castle ESCs. One big one are those running spektrum RXs, they are extremely picky and will undervolt quickly. Watched a guy with a similar setup running a spektrum RX cream his machine into a concrete rataining wall at high speed when he went to do a sharp turn under full power. The truck just shut down with a total loss of power which meant no drag brake, NADA. Later it was found that his RX was blacking out because the Savox servo was dragging the BEC voltage too low and the RX shut down. There are several work arounds with trying glitch busters or external BECs but IMO the best fix is to choose any servo but Savox. Folks run Hitech servos on a castle ESC with no BEC and spektrum RXs and dont have issues.

I'm running my Hitec 7950TH without an external BEC now...set my ESC internal BEC to 6V via the field link programmer...I am yet to experience any issues.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    So, last time I took my revo out I busted the left rear knuckle about 10min into the run. I didnt have any replacements, so I ordered new ones. I put a new one on, took my revo out and about 10min into my run I broke the left rear knuckle again! Are you guys runnin aluminum ones? Or is there a stronger option?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Don't try this at home!