RC Competitor

removing broken battery post bolt?

Snapped off my battery post. Wondering if there are any tricks to remove it? I know about Velcro straps but prefer the stock set-up. Thanks!!!

RC Qualifier
    First try, I would cut a small slit with a dremel (or similar tool), and use a small flat head driver to try to back it out. Don't be afraid to cut a little into the plastic.

RC Champion
    Try using a automotive pick to back it out. I have done this with lots of broken bolts

I have gotten a sharp knife and cut down the plastic sheath. Pull off the plastic to expose the metal rod. Use Vice-Grips to unscrew it. When you put the new one in, be sure to not screw it all the way down. I always leave a lot of threads showing when I install mine. That way if it breaks off it can be pulled off with a pair of Vice-Grips.
    Last edited by El Sob; 01-13-2013 at 02:01 AM.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have gotten a sharp knife and cut down the plastic sheath. Pull off the plastic to expose the metal rod. Use Vice-Grips to unscrew it. When you put the new one in, be sure to not screw it all the way down. I always leave a lot of threads showing when I install mine. That way if it breaks off it can be pulled off with a pair of Vice-Grips.
    Sounds like a good solution to me!

RC Qualifier
    Worse came to work attempt to weld a small nut on the end of it. Then wait until cool and unscrew! I do this all the time in diesel tech

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceroad2 View Post
    Worse came to work attempt to weld a small nut on the end of it. Then wait until cool and unscrew! I do this all the time in diesel tech
    How are you going to weld a bolt that is screwed into plastic without melting the plastic?

Some good suggestions above but worse case scenario if you cant get it out without doing too much damage to the chassis you can pick up a new chassis pretty cheap then do as El Sob suggested to prevent it from happening again.