RC Racer

plastic clicking sound while driving.

So last few days, I've had a plastic clicking sound while driving. It sounds just like if you have a tire rubbing on the body, but this is on flat and level ground so thats not it. I was thinking its either gotta be the tranny, or a differential. It sounds plasticy though and aren't all the gears in both tranny and diffs metal. Seems like the sound would be different, but IDK. I checked the spur gear to make sure I hadn't stripped it and its fine. I tried to do some tests while holding the truck off the ground but it stopped doing it as much, so I couldn't figure out if it was coming from the front rear or middle. Any ideas? I hate to tear the entire truck down looking for the problem.

RC Competitor
    does it do it when you turn?? becouse mine is clicking whenever i turn it..

RC poster
    These trucks are known to have diff problems my friend had both the summit and mini revo and i've replaced the diffs several times on both(he uses lipos).When the pinion jumps on the ring gear it clicks and sounds like its plastic.A quick check is to hold three wheels and turn the forth by hand(not too hard)and if it clicks its that diff.I run stock batts in mine in parallel and it holds up well with lots of runtime and so far no diff problems but had servo die.

RC Racer
    Ill do that test tonight. I run lipos on mine and bash it fairly good. To the first post it does it iregardless of turning

RC Qualifier
    Umm is it the Transmission gears those are plastic did You check that yet??????

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Transmission rarely goes out. Out of all the threads of all the 16ths, I only recall 3 transmissions having gear issues. Most of those were from power systems way above stock.

I am leaning towards a differential.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Mine was doing the same, I assumed stripped gears especially after I made some adjustments to the slipper clutch. End result, see broken diff case:

RC Enthusiast
    Possibly a slider coming out of the shaft. I had that when ever I turned and drove at the same time. I was able to take off the front slider plate and pop it back in. You may want to refer to the exploded views. http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...6vxl-downloads

RC poster
    To me it sounds like one of your differentials is skipping. Ive had this problem to. I took the truck apart and found that several of the teeth on the diff where busted off. If this is the case, you could shim it. Where you put a washer or 2 next to the bearings on one side to make the cogs to mesh deeper. There are how to's on the net for that.

RC Racer
    You need to shim your rear diff, it's pretty much a must to stop it from clicking. Extremely common. You need to get team associated shims of a specific size and put 1 2 or 3 of them in, until it stops clicking. I also did the front on mine as well.

Here is the tread that tells you which ones to get exactly.

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139802