Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Stampede_fanatic's stampede 4x4 vxl build...

Just want to share to my fellow traxxas stampede owners the mods I have done to the pede.

RPM A-Arms. Blue ones! Fronts for now.
    Before:

After:

Outerwears Shroud
    Before:

After:

DIY lid lowering
    Before:

After:

Upcoming mods:
    -->Blue RPM A-Arms (Rear)
    -->T-Bone racing front bumper and Servo Guard
    -->Aluminum Bearing Adapter
    -->Kingheadz motor mount
    -->Blue Aluminum Stub Axle Carriers
    -->Rear CVD's

That's it for now on mods. Did all these mods to protect my truck from the elements and to make it stronger so that it could handle whatever terrain I subject it into. Just like Benjamin Franklin's saying, "An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure."
    Hmm, thinking of calling my pede "Blue Bayou" since all the aluminum parts I'm getting for it will be blue.

Thanks for looking guys! Feel free to post up or PM me if you have any questions.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 01-12-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added more info on pede...

RC Champion
    Looks like you have a good start for your pede. The outwears shroud should protect the chassis inner components. Will you be running in the snow or water? Good luck on your build and thanks for sharing!
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    Looks like you have a good start for your pede. The outwears shroud should protect the chassis inner components. Will you be running in the snow or water? Good luck on your build and thanks for sharing!
    Thanks man!

I will be running the pede on loose gravel and a grassy field. The last time I took it bashing, there were a lot of small rocks and grass in the chassis. Didn't like cleaning the mess after, so I got the outerwears shroud. Can't wait to try it out with the shroud tmrw.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    Thanks man!

I will be running the pede on loose gravel and a grassy field. The last time I took it bashing, there were a lot of small rocks and grass in the chassis. Didn't like cleaning the mess after, so I got the outerwears shroud. Can't wait to try it out with the shroud tmrw.
    There's a modification you can do to the bottom of the chassis with velcro to prevent rocks from entering the driveshaft section. I'm not sure if you have done it yet, but you cut out, fit, and glue a small section of velcro around the front of the driveshaft section where the chassis leaves an opening. It will protect the shaft and the slipper. Good luck tomorrow!
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    There's a modification you can do to the bottom of the chassis with velcro to prevent rocks from entering the driveshaft section. I'm not sure if you have done it yet, but you cut out, fit, and glue a small section of velcro around the front of the driveshaft section where the chassis leaves an opening. It will protect the shaft and the slipper. Good luck tomorrow!
    Will do that as well man!

Thanks again for the advice.

Updates! Installed the following:
    T-bone racing front bumper with servo guard

Front bumper before:

Front bumper after:

Servo Before:

Servo After (With T-bone racing servo guard):

Upcoming mods:
    -->T-Bone racing front bumper and Servo Guard - DONE!
    -->Aluminum Bearing Adapter - Already with me. Just waiting for the kingheadz mount
    -->Kingheadz motor mount
    -->Rear CVD's
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-02-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: merge

You have an awesome looking truck in the making there dude keep up the good work dude...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    You have an awesome looking truck in the making there dude keep up the good work dude...peace
    Thanks man!

RC poster
    I recently bought the blue Pede 4x4 also. You'll love the King Headz combo. So much smoother.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pdl2mtl90 View Post
    I recently bought the blue Pede 4x4 also. You'll love the King Headz combo. So much smoother.
    You got the kingheadz mount with telemetry?

RC poster
    Without, won't ever put telemetry on it.

RC Qualifier
    Tbone front bumper and servo guard look great.

Have you had a chance to run with it on yet??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pdl2mtl90 View Post
    Without, won't ever put telemetry on it.
    I got the same thing. Really didn't need the one with telemetry.

Quote Originally Posted by dwmoss View Post
    Tbone front bumper and servo guard look great.

Have you had a chance to run with it on yet??
    Speaking of runs, did some yesterday afternoon. The t-bone front bumper and servo guard held up VERY well.

On to pics:

T-bone bumper and servo held up great! Very happy with it.

Battle scars after cartwheeling:

The way the truck should look after bashing... Dirty!

Updates with mods:
    -->Aluminum Bearing Adapter - DONE! Installed it yesterday.
    -->Kingheadz motor mount - On its way!
    -->Rear CVD's

Some DIY lights I found at home:

Updates!

Motor mount before:

Motor Mount after (Kingheadz aluminum motor mount w/o telemetry):

Here along with the Kingheadz aluminum motor mount, you can see in the middle of the bearing that I also installed the Traxxas aluminum bearing adapter (Traxxas Part num: TRA6893X). If you can't see it, it's the dark blue ring on the middle of the bearing:

Rear Bearing Carrier Before:

Rear Traxxas Aluminum Bearing Carrier After (Traxxas Part num: TRA1952X):

Updates 2!

Rear A-Arms before:

Rear RPM A-Arms during installation. Not only does it look good, it's tougher as well! (Blue Bayou here we go!):

Rear RPM A-Arms after:

Quick update on "Blue Bayou's" mods:
    -->Blue RPM A-Arms (Fronts) - DONE!
    -->Outerwears Shroud - DONE!
    -->DIY Lid lowering - DONE!
    -->Aluminum Bearing Adapter - DONE!
    -->Kingheadz motor mount - DONE!
    -->Blue Aluminum Bearing Carriers - DONE!
    -->Blue RPM A-Arms (Rear) - DONE!

Upcoming mods:
    -->Blue Aluminum Steering knuckles
    -->Blue Aluminum Caster Blocks
    -->Rear MIP CVD's

Summer mods:
    -->ESC Fan
    -->Motor Fan
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-02-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Looks sweet man, Great job on it thus far.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredfly View Post
    Looks sweet man, Great job on it thus far.
    Thanks man!

You are making it nice and bulletproof dude well done...peace

RC Qualifier
    You are making it nice and bulletproof dude well done...peace
    Thanks man! Btw, I'm still waiting for Matt from MIP to reply about bringing back the pinned adapter (old versionon) on the MIP CVD axles. The new 12mm hexed design just does not work right since it strips the rear wheels. The 17mm hexed design does not work either. The nut on the 17mm hexed adapter is so thin that it makes fitting most aftermarket wheels difficult.

Testing out the Hyperion EOS Control and Data Suite (ECDS) with the 5.82 software update:

Love this charger!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-02-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: merge

You are not messing about at all dude.you have got a sweet truck there that will be able to take a hard bashing.And if one day you need to upgrade your motor and esc the truck will be ready for it...peace

RC Qualifier
    You are not messing about at all dude.you have got a sweet truck there that will be able to take a hard bashing.And if one day you need to upgrade your motor and esc the truck will be ready for it...peace
    Yeah, I want to make it tough as nails! LOL! I don't want to keep on replacing part after part when they break after some bashing so I'm really beefing the pede up.

And yes, if I ever upgrade to a castle sidewinder 3 with the 4600kV motor, I would be ready for it. Don't want any driveline damage on the first few runs.

I love your charger. If it had a finger, I would put a ring on it. Your pede is coming along very nicely.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I love your charger. If it had a finger, I would put a ring on it. Your pede is coming along very nicely.
    Thanks man!

Thanks for all the advice too!

Updates! Aluminum Caster blocks (Traxxas part num: 6832x) and Aluminum Steering blocks (Traxxas Part num: 6837x) install.

Aluminum Caster blocks VS stock blocks

Steering knuckles before:

Steering knuckles after:

Caster blocks and Steering blocks before:

Caster blocks and Steering blocks after:

Lessen the toe-in mod (Many thanks to forum member saternal):

Toe-in before switching alum hub carriers (A lot of toe-in on the rear wheels can be seen):

Toe-in after switching alum hub carriers (Way lesser toe-in ):

Quick recap on "Blue Bayou's" mods:
    -->Blue RPM A-Arms (Fronts) - DONE!
    -->Outerwears Shroud - DONE!
    -->DIY Lid lowering - DONE!
    -->Aluminum Bearing Adapter - DONE!
    -->Kingheadz motor mount - DONE!
    -->Blue Aluminum Bearing Carriers - DONE!
    -->Blue RPM A-Arms (Rear) - DONE!
    -->Blue Aluminum Steering knuckles - DONE!
    -->Blue Aluminum Caster Blocks - DONE!

Upcoming mods:
    -->Rear MIP CVD's OR Traxxas Steel Constant Velocity Shafts (Still unsure which one to get here! )

Summer mods:
    -->ESC Fan
    -->Motor Fan
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-02-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: merge

If you can try the traxxas steel ones and your choice of motor would run way to hot look into castle 3800kv or the mental 2400kv but use the vxl system till it quits....peace

RC Qualifier
    If you can try the traxxas steel ones and your choice of motor would run way to hot look into castle 3800kv or the mental 2400kv but use the vxl system till it quits....peace
    Will look at the 3800kv and the mental 2400kv. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll definitely use the vxl system til it quits.

RC Qualifier
    Nice Rig. I like the blue. I've started doing the blue too. I don't have as much as you do, Yet!
    Last edited by ramflames; 01-27-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    Nice Rig. I like the blue. I've started doing the blue too. I don't have as much as you do, Yet!
    Thanks!

I took my time with it. Still have a few mods til "Blue Bayou" will be done.

RC Qualifier
    I got mine in Aug. I've done the RPM blue arms, MIP's front and rear axle shafts, Traxxas bearing adaptor, Traxxas diff kits with the carrier supports, Traxxas ESC cooling fan. So, slow and steady, or as needed, either way. Love this truck.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    I got mine in Aug. I've done the RPM blue arms, MIP's front and rear axle shafts, Traxxas bearing adaptor, Traxxas diff kits with the carrier supports, Traxxas ESC cooling fan. So, slow and steady, or as needed, either way. Love this truck.
    How do you like the MIP rear axles (new hexed version)? Have you tried running on 3s? If so, did you strip any wheels?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    How do you like the MIP rear axles (new hexed version)? Have you tried running on 3s? If so, did you strip any wheels?
    I have not had any issues with Hexes. I did loose a joint pin, but I blame myself for that. I have one rim that has started to strip. But it start to strip with the stock plastic axle shaft hex. Before I had the MIP's. Since putting on the MIP's. No issues, even with a semi stripped rim. And YES. My truck has been run "out of the box", from day one, with nothing but 3s LiPo's. My stock axles did not even last a week on 3s......MIP X-duties were my first and best upgrade to date.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

Me too mips rock i have had mine now for 2 years and not lost any parts or had any trouble with them you just need to build them right with good threadlock and tools and let them dry for over 24 hours.....peace

RC Competitor
    Yo fanatic. Your truck is looking great. Can't say the same thing for my truck. Parts are so hard to find here in singapore. Everything aftermarket has to be shipped 2-3 weeks shipping time. Good luck on your build. Looking real nice.

RC poster
    I just received my shroud today. The pics in the instructions are not clear on where to put the Velcro on the front and back. The sides are self explanatory. Can you take a couple pics by chance?

Thanks!!
    L

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    Thats pretty funny. Modding just for the sake of modding. Throw the mesh up on ebay for $18.00. Someone will buy. Actually, just let it bid up from $1.00 - would love to see that!
    Hahahaha. Someone will bid on it for sure! LOL! I'll just keep this one since it's already on there. Anyways just in case I forget to put my shroud on (I did forget to put it on a few times), I still have the ESC fan protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexlop View Post
    I just received my shroud today. The pics in the instructions are not clear on where to put the Velcro on the front and back. The sides are self explanatory. Can you take a couple pics by chance?

Thanks!!
    L
    You don't have to put velcro on the top front and top rear on the chassis. Just on the sides but all around. Start putting velcro on the front where the gray part of the chassis starts, then follow all the way through the back where the gray chassis ends.

Just remember, you don't put velcro on top of the chassis, just the sides.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 02-27-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Corrected typos...

RC poster
    Cool build here! Anything snazzy planned for the body?

RC Qualifier
    I have not had any issues with Hexes. I did loose a joint pin, but I blame myself for that. I have one rim that has started to strip. But it start to strip with the stock plastic axle shaft hex. Before I had the MIP's. Since putting on the MIP's. No issues, even with a semi stripped rim. And YES. My truck has been run "out of the box", from day one, with nothing but 3s LiPo's. My stock axles did not even last a week on 3s......MIP X-duties were my first and best upgrade to date.
    Thanks for the input man. I'm still deciding on whether to get MIP X-duty CVD's, Tekno's, or the Traxxas Steel Constant Velocity Shafts.

Me too mips rock i have had mine now for 2 years and not lost any parts or had any trouble with them you just need to build them right with good threadlock and tools and let them dry for over 24 hours.....peace
    Yup! It's how you set it up in the beginning.

ramflames has a good way of getting it done:
    Just make sure to use red Loctite on the grub screws. Clean and dry with alcohol, apply Loctite, allow 24 hours for Loctite to dry. Then bash away....To get grubs screws back out for whatever reason. Use a soldering gun. Touch the soldering gun tip to the grub screw. It will soften up the loctite and allow you to easily remove the grub screws for servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by saternal View Post
    Yo fanatic. Your truck is looking great. Can't say the same thing for my truck. Parts are so hard to find here in singapore. Everything aftermarket has to be shipped 2-3 weeks shipping time. Good luck on your build. Looking real nice.
    Thanks man! I might hold off my purchase on the MIP CVD's OR Tekno M6 Driveshafts and Hub Carriers since you are purchasing the Traxxas Steel Constant Velocity Shafts. I can't wait for your review on that.

RC Competitor
    Sorry dude, you're waiting for my review and I'm waiting for Blenda's review. No result from him yet. I think I might go with MIPs since the new steel drive shaft's have had a few bad reviews. I'm mostly doing high jumps on pure concrete jumps so I'll need it to withstand harsh hard landings.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by saternal View Post
    Sorry dude, you're waiting for my review and I'm waiting for Blenda's review. No result from him yet. I think I might go with MIPs since the new steel drive shaft's have had a few bad reviews. I'm mostly doing high jumps on pure concrete jumps so I'll need it to withstand harsh hard landings.
    I also read some bad reviews on the traxxas steel shafts.

Anyway, since a lot of stampede 4x4 guys are running MIPs, I have decided to go the other way, which is getting the Tekno M6 driveshafts. Will do a review on that.

RC Racer
    Couple things. Truck looks great by the way. I would make it a priority to do something with the shocks. It's only a matter of time until you pop off a cap. I did and it was one of the first things I did. Big Bores off a platinum Slash on eBay for $34.99 and switched the springs with my factory ones. Love them. I did the MIPs in back and then spit out the front axels. All that power on 3s is going to find the weakest link...

Mods on mine so far:
    Big Bore Shocks
    RPM A Arms all around
    King Headz Motor mount
    Traxxas bearing carriers in rear and yes they did rub with MIPs but wore a grove real quick and never did bind
    Traxxas alum casters and blocks up front
    Traxxas aluminum shock towers front and rear
    RPM body mounts on rear
    MIP CVDs front and rear, new keyed version and no problems with them
    Proline Trenchers on Black Chrome Desperadoes, love this tires!
    Traxxas Fan on ESC
    Integy fan on motor
    Was running center diff but changed back to slipper with Revo mod on 3s
    JConcepts Ford Raptor body, much, much stronger!
    Traxxas Stampede light kit...sweet

I'm sure I'm forgetting something!

Oh yeah Traxxas alum steering and toe links
    And bearing adapter

Have fun
    Last edited by Cglennrichardson; 01-28-2013 at 11:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cglennrichardson View Post
    Couple things. Truck looks great by the way. I would make it a priority to do something with the shocks. It's only a matter of time until you pop off a cap. I did and it was one of the first things I did. Big Bores off a platinum Slash on eBay for $34.99 and switched the springs with my factory ones. Love them. I did the MIPs in back and then spit out the front axels. All that power on 3s is going to find the weakest link...

Mods on mine so far:
    Big Bore Shocks
    RPM A Arms all around
    King Headz Motor mount
    Traxxas bearing carriers in rear and yes they did rub with MIPs but wore a grove real quick and never did bind
    Traxxas alum casters and blocks up front
    Traxxas aluminum shock towers front and rear
    RPM body mounts on rear
    MIP CVDs front and rear, new keyed version and no problems with them
    Proline Trenchers on Black Chrome Desperadoes, love this tires!
    Traxxas Fan on ESC
    Integy fan on motor
    Was running center diff but changed back to slipper with Revo mod on 3s
    JConcepts Ford Raptor body, much, much stronger!
    Traxxas Stampede light kit...sweet

I'm sure I'm forgetting something!

Have fun
    Very nice mods you have there man!

I also plan to get shocks after I have replaced the front and rear axles. The rears are on it's way (Got that taken care of first. Fronts will come next). With that said, the pede will spit out the stock fornt axles for sure... LOL!

For the motor fan, I got the Ice Amps Blower instead from www.rbinnovations.com. I really wanted the JConcepts Ford Raptor body ever since I saw it on the Jconcepts website. So for sure, that will be my next body. Finally, for the wheels I was planning to go with the proline subcultures and rulux wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by pdgmtf View Post
    Cool build here! Anything snazzy planned for the body?
    Yeah, the Jconcepts Ford Raptor body.

First Mishap when bashing...

Did a flip and this happened when it landed:

Closer pic:

It's amazing since nothing broke. It's just a screw that fell off. Replaced it and I was back bashing in no time.

Decided to do a mini project on Blue Bayou after bashing... Read on to find out.

Took the dirty wheels off...

Taped the holes:

Wheels after a good wash... So fresh and so clean clean!

Let the masking begin!

Is that a black Talon I see?? (Stock comparison)

3 Talons done... One to go.

All 4 Talons done:

Tape off:

More pics to follow...

Before Pic:

After pic:

Before pic:

After pic:

Close up pics:

Used this for the wheels:

Had to do something under the chassis, so this used this to turn chassis into...

This!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-02-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    The black wheels look great!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmoss View Post
    The black wheels look great!!
    Thanks man!

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the black wheels.....
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede