RC Competitor

Way more power to front wheels.

My sons Stampede has recently been giving way more power to the front wheels and I can't figure out what. I had the back end off, the slipper bearings seem OK, the back diff seems to be OK bearing wise and operates smoothly. When I hold one back wheel or one front wheel and spin the other the expected action occurs...

Now, one thing that I can think of is that a neighbour kid was trying to fix something on my sons truck by holding onto both back wheels and throttling it up. Now I figure that can't be good.

In the process I re-adjusted the slipper and probably made it too loose - can that cause loss of power to the rear wheels?

By loss of power, they still spin. But on asphalt from a stand still and you hit the throttle, but front wheels spin like crazy and the rears don't at all, until the front gets some traction and the truck starts moving. While on our other stampede, the rears must be getting a lot of power as it wheelies off and away like a Stampede should.

Thanks.

I would see if the slipper pads have a glaze in them if so use some sandpaper to rough them up again and full tighten up the slipper and then back it off about 1/2 and see what that does dude and also check that the rear wheels have not stripped any of the hexes dude.........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

I would look at the shaft the slipper rides on as it comes out the back it has a squared off end that engages the rear diff. Either the shaft itself or the rear diff where the shaft mates with it is probably rounded out
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    So just after I posted this it dawned on me that it could be the hexes - I've read of them stripping but have yet to see it so didn't think of it. One was stripped - the wheel side, not the hex. I moved it to the front so at least the back had a chance of getting grip and its greatly improved.

This coupled with our problem of bending drive shafts is pushing me to MIPs (at least on the rears) and now with a stripped wheel its time to move to trenchers or something. Then multiply that by 2 as each of my boys has a Stampede, and one can't get upgrades without the other - sigh... At least they are easier to work on than my Savage XS which is having its own issues right now.

BTW, slipper and shaft appear fine. But thanks for the suggestion, they'll go into the mental bank.

DOG a stripped hex shoul have been my first thougth.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I had the same problem with metal hexes from the mip units rounding out in the right rear wheel. I ended up switching to tekno shafts instead and have not had any issues.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jason26 View Post
    This coupled with our problem of bending drive shafts is pushing me to MIPs (at least on the rears) and now with a stripped wheel its time to move to trenchers or something.
    I got the MIPs just on the rears, and I wouldn't really suggest it. Get fronts too. I got rears thinking my wheelies are gonna be fine now, and it's all gonna work fine... and I broke a front axle in my second pack (stock plastic one). I'm going to sell my MIP to a friend and get these:

http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/servlet/...%284%29/Detail

They're $65 for the whole set of 4, and the truck will need the smallest mods (different bearings). I actually don't have a stampede 4x4, I just have the Slash 4x4 but the idea is the same. You'll also need this:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Adapter-Blue-4

So it comes to about $90 (not including shipping) or you can get Tekno for $70 (all 4 corners) or MIP for $100 (shipped for all 4 corners). Just depends what you want. I'm pretty happy with the MIP, but now I need fronts and I don't want to pay another $50.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by vladsly View Post
    I got the MIPs just on the rears, and I wouldn't really suggest it. Get fronts too. I got rears thinking my wheelies are gonna be fine now, and it's all gonna work fine... and I broke a front axle in my second pack (stock plastic one). I'm going to sell my MIP to a friend and get these:

http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/servlet/...%284%29/Detail

They're $65 for the whole set of 4, and the truck will need the smallest mods (different bearings). I actually don't have a stampede 4x4, I just have the Slash 4x4 but the idea is the same. You'll also need this:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Adapter-Blue-4

So it comes to about $90 (not including shipping) or you can get Tekno for $70 (all 4 corners) or MIP for $100 (shipped for all 4 corners). Just depends what you want. I'm pretty happy with the MIP, but now I need fronts and I don't want to pay another $50.
    Those look like nice shafts as well. Sticking to Canadian sources it will cost me the same (to the dollar where I checked) as front and rear MIPs. Plus they are not in stock at my usual sources so MIPs it is I think. Any other reason than cost I should consider these?

RC Champion
    I don't think I'd let that neighbor kid work on the truck anymore.