RC Enthusiast

Help it burned up!!

Well I bought two of these series 5 5000mah batteries and two stock 3000 mmah batteries from a ebay auction that the guy ended early. I took them home put them on my Onyx 245 and started charging them at 5amps after about 20-30min one started to smoke I unplugged the charger took the battery outside and after about 15min this is what it looked like. Anybody have a clue what happend. He said there was less than 10 runs on the batteries all the other batteries charged fine. I only have nimh. I paid him cash not sure if I should say something or not to him. The batteries looked new.

Wow. Never seen that before. I think there might have been a bad cell, (bad cells always get hot while charging) and the bad cell got SO hot it started to melt/burn. I would give Traxxas a call, they SHOULD cover that. I had a bad cell in one of my new Summit's batterys, and mine only had 12 runs on it. I called Traxxas, and they are sending me a new one. In fact, it should come on the mail today! Good luck, hope this helps!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 01-12-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have seen that quite a bit... which is why I am confused when people say that NiMh is more dangerous than LiPo. lol

Give Traxxas a call... worst they can say is no.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Contact the seller and c what he can do . Was there a warranty on them ? If seller won't do nothing the open a claim on ebay then try Traxxas support not sure what they well do,seeing they where used .
    1 Rusty VXL

I do not believe Traxxas warranties transfer from owner to owner. Technically, they don't even apply to parted out items bought on eBay.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

That is sad you get batteries and this happens. Sorry for your lose.
    I read something that traxxas doesn't cover eBay its at all like auction, part outs, chop shops but not sure where I read that before maybe I'll remember and post back tomorrow with a link or pasted. I would contact the seller and see what he can do. If you just got them and charged them up for the first time then contact him something was wrong with them I think.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    and that's why they say never leave batteries unattended when charging... have not had that happen yet but had it happen years ago when i was into the hobby

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks everyone the person I bought them from is local and I think a member here he is going to call traxxas on monday and see if they will replace it. The battery was not that old. He has stood behind the sale and I thank him for that.

Joe

RC Enthusiast
    Just fried a 4200 nimh today. I noticed it had less power than my other 4200 pack the last couple days. It survived the charger, but when I ran it today one cell got very hot, deforming the label on the cell and melting the plastic cover. It had a decent life probably 100 runs.

RC Enthusiast
    Well doesnt look like Traxxas wants to do anything about this battery. I bet they would of done something if the thing burnt my house down. Kinda turns me off of Traxxas a little. These things cost a min of 50.00 and up to 70.00 retail. With less than 10 runs on it they should of done something.

Quote Originally Posted by cyroute View Post
    Well doesnt look like Traxxas wants to do anything about this battery. I bet they would of done something if the thing burnt my house down. Kinda turns me off of Traxxas a little. These things cost a min of 50.00 and up to 70.00 retail. With less than 10 runs on it they should of done something.
    First let me write that I am sorry you lost the cell/pack. It happens but it just stinks. Just one question: why do you think Traxxas should have done something? You bought a used battery. Did you expect to have all the benefits of a new battery? I'm sure Traxxas would love to replace all packs that go bad, no matter what the circumstances but they do have to draw the line somewhere. I think in this case that line was at the first owner. Again, sorry for your loss.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I find traxxas NiMH OK not too worth the price though for them new retail. if you can get a brand new traxxas NiMH for cheap then it makes it worth it. Sorry for your lose too. Used packs are just that used you can never know how they were charged say like the last owner charged it with too much amps for a 3000mah was charged at like 5amps so they don't have to wait. Or discharged it too far like ran it dead all the times it was ran which a lot of people do do! They don't read which begs the question do they really read what they ask here??? Just me I guess good luck on getting a good battery this time around.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Enthusiast
    I never really expected them to replace it 100% since I did buy it used but a discount off of a replacement would have been nice. I'm sure they look at these forums and see that I bought it second hand so maybe that came into play. I didnt call the original owner did. A discount off of a new battery would still have made traxxas some money and made me a happy customer. They take replacment motors from anyone and replace them at a lower cost. It would be nice if they did the same thing with these even if you had to prove it was under a year old or whatever which I could of.

Joe

RC Racer
    Always buy new batteries from reputable dealers either online or LHS. Never buy used batteries. Don't worry about the cost. New batteries are good investment than used batteries. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, go for smaller rc. Better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by Tecboy; 02-01-2013 at 07:41 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    It would be unrealistic for Traxxas to warranty a battery product that was acquired "used"... they have zero control of what condition those batts were in. I believe they would have replaced them if you were the original owner and could describe how you used them and how you charged them etc.
    3905 Emaxx