RC Competitor

14v dewalt setup help

Loving my summit but looking for a bit more ground speed. Birthday coming up so the misses is going to get me a 14v dewalt motor and I was wondering what gearing I should use? I've read some people use 16/54 in a summit and someone else running 24/54 in a revo. Also considering getting a 3s to match my 2s for 5s bashing. What setups would people recommend? looking to keep temps down with good runtimes and keeping breakages/stress to a minimum. Around 30mph would be perfect.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Which ESC do you have?

This is the advice I was given for DeWALT power:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5103639
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    if you have the stock evx2 5s would be too much voltage

RC Racer
    I thought 5s would work with the stock esc? the hard part is finding the matching 3s lipo for your 2s.

Does 5s fry the traxxas evx2 with LVD, and not the old evx2?

RC Qualifier
    well as far as im concerned the evx2 is capable 16.8v not 18.5v

The non-LVD version is proven to be OK with 3S on the nonBEC side and 2S on the BEC side.
    The LVD version will not even power up hooked as mentioned above.

I just wanted to make sure you had the last version before the LVD, the non-LVD one.

RC Competitor
    Ahh I have the latest LVD version shame as I found a matching 3s. Cheers for the link 16/65 I see, well that's another one to add to my list. Anyone else got any suggestions? I GPS'd my stock summit on lipos today and got 17.5mph so it seems 30 will be a tall order.

That is about the speed I get too...
    The DeWALT is a torque monster from what I understand and speeds of about 25 are a norm after the upgrade which is about the max for the stock soft tires.

RC Competitor
    One of the install guides I read recommended the 54t spur http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-...products/23155 with 16t pinion i've seen some people use robinson racing ones could someone please link me to the right one as in pitch/mod etc.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    One of the install guides I read recommended the 54t spur http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-...products/23155 with 16t pinion i've seen some people use robinson racing ones could someone please link me to the right one as in pitch/mod etc.
    Look at the 87xx part #
    http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalo...ss_pinion.html

You should try different gear ratio to find the most efficient to your driving style and motor/esc temp.
    Last edited by mdbsummit; 01-14-2013 at 05:11 AM.
    Summit, dewalt 12v, 18/68 gear, T-bone skids

RC Competitor
    Cheers mate, just noticed the 16/54 was on 5s so will have to find a different combo.

RC Competitor
    The 14t pinion is the summit standard.... sure you need another one? You can use the traxxas provided.

RC Competitor
    oh for some reason I though I read that the standard one doesn't fit the dewalt?

Other than brand, the only you have linked is the same as stock.

RC Competitor
    thanks chaps have cancelled the pinions will just order the spur and 16t

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    I'm running the 14v Dewalt. With 18p/68s I GPS (iPhone app) right at 25mph. Stock was 19.8mph with the 14p/68s (stock). Product variances being what they are, I'm sure you'll get right at 25-26 with proper gearing on your Dewalt.

Hope this helps
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

I'm running 17/68 with 14.4V DeWalt and stock EVX on 2/2s...I ran 15/65 for a while but prefer 17/68 as an all round setting. Here is my build thread:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-build-edition
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    was looking at the robinson racing pinions but they are quite expensive for me to but from the US would traxxas ones fit the dewalt? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traxxas-Ge...item1c2e74d8bf

The DeWALT has a 5mm shaft.
    If the pinion has a 5mm bore and is the right pitch, it will fit.

RC Competitor
    was looking at the robinson racing pinions but they are quite expensive for me to but from the US would traxxas ones fit the dewalt? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traxxas-Ge...item1c2e74d8bf
    Sure. That's the one I'm running right now with my dewalt.

RC Competitor
    Right i've fitted the dewalt with 18t pinion but it doesn't seem to have that 'killer torque' that everyone mentions, videos i've seen show the summit doing wheelies from a standstill etc?

Also I have used 2 pos and 2 neg wire setup like the stock titan uses but come install threads i've read show people only using one is there a specific reason for this?

You only need one set of wires. The only reason there are two on the stock Summit is because the same ESC is in the eMaxx and Revo that take twin 550 sized motors.

Slipper adjustment can have a lot to do with stand still wheelies.

RC Racer
    Will the stock pinion work with the dewalt mod? my summit is getting delivered Tuesday and I want to make sure I have everything. Not looking for speed but want some toruqe.

Yes it will.

RC Competitor
    after much pondering and wallet checking I won't be going brushless as per my other thread, instead i'm going to get a new castle MMM waterproof esc to pair up with my dewalt, any suggestions on gearing for 5s?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Only question I have is WHY? Your going to end up overheating the dewalt motor on 5S. I hate to say it but you can get a cheaper EZrun or XErun brushless setup, gear it SUPER low, throw in a PILE of punch control and have a better setup than an MMM/Dewalt on 5S.

The MMM is a $150-200 ESC. The dewalt motor is $30-50 depending on how ready to install you want it. For just over $200 you can get an EZrun system with a 150amp ESC and 2000kv sensored motor. Not waterproof, but geared right it would give you excellent results on 4S in a summit.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    waterproofing was the thing for me as I like to do a bit of trailing/streams etc

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Just curious, how many packs have you run through your Summit since going to the Dewalt? My Summit's performance improved noticably after 3 or 4 runs. Granted it's not brushless, but for my style, 25 mph is great.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    I have the new evx2 with the LVD and I put it into nickel mode with a LVA and ran it on 5c and hit 29.4 mph on my bumpy hilly drive way. I'm running 18/65 14.4 dewalt. I only ran it for maybe 5 min. I was a bit intimated. It was amazing fast.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

I have no complaints with my DeWalt in my Summit and love the torque the motor provides
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 02-19-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    Just curious, how many packs have you run through your Summit since going to the Dewalt? My Summit's performance improved noticably after 3 or 4 runs. Granted it's not brushless, but for my style, 25 mph is great.
    Only 1 full pack so far since running it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    I have the new evx2 with the LVD and I put it into nickel mode with a LVA and ran it on 5c and hit 29.4 mph on my bumpy hilly drive way. I'm running 18/65 14.4 dewalt. I only ran it for maybe 5 min. I was a bit intimated. It was amazing fast.
    30 mph is my aim so will look into that, what were you temps like? so you changed the stock spur for a smaller one as well?

RC Qualifier
    Only 1 full pack so far since running it in.

30 mph is my aim so will look into that, what were you temps like? so you changed the stock spur for a smaller one as well?
    I didn't check temps. I only had the 5 cell in it for two runs. Down and back down and back.
    And yeah i changed the spur to a 65. As soon as I get a good time I'm going to test it on pavement and check the temps. I'm thinking of going back to 16/68. Just for crawling and it all around easier on the rig.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l