RC Competitor

Cool Make Lexan Body Stronger

I have a idea to run by everyone here. Fiberglass drywall joint tape self-adhesive fiberglass mesh is thin and light, but extremely strong and easy to use, and greatly increases joint strength and durability for less cracking when mudding and taping sheetwock walls. My plan is to put a layer of this stuff on the inside of the Lexan body to help make is stronger.

RC Champion
    Sorry to tell ya, It's not a new idea by any means, It's been done a million times for years now.

But yes it helps strengthen the weak points of the body and can be used to fix spots that are cracked, etc.

Shoo goo and fiber mesh drywall tape.

Last edited by dave00bear; 01-11-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^^ this is cool. I was just looking at roll of drywall tape I have laying around wondering If I could use it to repair one of the bodies I have that's cracked.
    addicted much....

RC Competitor
    SEE!!! I knew it was a good idea. Man, there hasn't been an original idea since 1942. SOoooo, shoo Goo. Probably better than fiberglass resin because it stays flexible, not hard like the resin?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    SEE!!! I knew it was a good idea. Man, there hasn't been an original idea since 1942. SOoooo, shoo Goo. Probably better than fiberglass resin because it stays flexible, not hard like the resin?
    Yes by using the Shoo Goo, it will stay flexible after it drys. You wouldn't want to use a resin that hardens. And you wanna use the mesh tape only.

I have repaired several bodies in the past using this method, It works great! The only slight downfall is it will start adding weight, especially some guys that will do the entire underbody.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    The only slight downfall is it will start adding weight, especially some guys that will do the entire underbody.
    I was going to do the entire underbody for protection, apply as soon as it comes out of the box.

RC Qualifier
    I did three layers on a little crack on my 2 week old slash 4x4 body. I did not want that crack spreading at all! Prepped two body's for rocker guard paint today. Let them dry overnight last night.

I planned on using drywall tape and then spray on bed liner on my next RC.
    Bodies are expensive when you to 1/8th scale!!
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Just tried the shoo goo and drywall tape. It's just like doing a fiberglass repair. It seems like it should hold up pretty well.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Yeah it does! I found it hard because my shoo goo dried so fast that it was hard to cut a piece of drywall tape and place it with sticky gloves on lol. Kindof a two person job!

Sent from my super super fast iPhone 4S in white!

RC Qualifier
    Hope the way I did it works. I just put the tape on then put a bead of shoo goo over it and worked it in with an acid brush.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i use gorrila tape inside on certain part that are very flimsy.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Hope the way I did it works. I just put the tape on then put a bead of shoo goo over it and worked it in with an acid brush.
    That's the way I plan on doing it too. The fiberglass tape has a lightweight adhesive. So, tape it on, and shoo goo to make it stay on.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    i use gorrila tape inside on certain part that are very flimsy.
    Around the body mount holes? They seem to need reinforcement. I apologize for being such a noob. I don't have my truck yet. Ordered it a couple days ago.

Around the body mount holes? They seem to need reinforcement. I apologize for being such a noob. I don't have my truck yet. Ordered it a couple days ago.

RC Competitor
    Humayrayakongkinaon, you only used it on the sides? I watched a slow motion video of a Slash truck going over the jumps, that body was flexing and bending all over the place. The fenders looked like wings flapping in the wind.

Humayrayakongkinaon, you only used it on the sides? I watched a slow motion video of a Slash truck going over the jumps, that body was flexing and bending all over the place. The fenders looked like wings flapping in the wind.
    thats pretty much where i needed to tape, the rest are very solid. heres another good idea, add 2 body post on both side. i did this with my onroad GT8 added 2 body post and its very solid.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    thats pretty much where i needed to tape, the rest are very solid. heres another good idea, add 2 body post on both side. i did this with my onroad GT8 added 2 body post and its very solid.
    The Slash has the "wings" already, so adding the posts should be easy.

The Slash has the "wings" already, so adding the posts should be easy.
    so true, i'm also going to do this with my rally GT8 right along the nerf bar. dont like it when it start to flap around doing high speed passes.

RC Champion
    I covered the entire inside of my rally body with the Shoe-goo drywall method. Used 2 tube's of goo and 10' of tape. Added just over 10oz. to the weight. I doubled up the tape and goo over the post hole's, they need it the most.

*Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    I covered the entire inside of my rally body with the Shoe-goo drywall method. Used 2 tube's of goo and 10' of tape. Added just over 10oz. to the weight. I doubled up the tape and goo over the post hole's, they need it the most.
    Perfect, that's EXACTLY how I'm going to do mine when it arrives. Just over half a pound... mmmm? And 2 tubes of shoo goo? That is surprising. I'll report in how much weight mine adds when done.

I found when I dropped my Roll Cage how much damage it was causing to my bodies....
    I like using th eProline Bodies due to their thickness, I don't think I would want them any thicker or stronger... I want them to have some flex when I get into a bad wreck...

And bodies with squared edges like the Hummer tear really easy compared to something that has rounded edges...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Competitor
    About to start doing it up.

RC Competitor
    I couldn't find the scale to do a before weight but, the after weight of the Slash body is 366 grams with 4 washers. I fiberglassed a washer at each hole.

RC Champion
    I couldn't find the scale to do a before weight but, the after weight of the Slash body is 366 grams with 4 washers. I fiberglassed a washer at each hole.
    Thinking about doing this but does it make it hard to get the body clips on? Do you need to put taller body posts?
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Champion
    no need for taller post's. I just make sure to do 2 layer's of tape over the hole's. The rest of the body has 3-5 layer's.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by OlorinTharkun View Post
    Thinking about doing this but does it make it hard to get the body clips on? Do you need to put taller body posts?
    No, not any harder to install, still has space for washer on outside... barely.

RC Competitor
    How much does a stock Traxxas Slash body weigh? I couldn't find the scale before adding my reinforcements. My bodies modified weight is 366 grams.