TUG OF WAR- contest : My ERBE vs his SUMMIT

My friend is talkin MUCH SMACK about how his summit can pull my erbe all over the place in a tug of war contest. I got his friends all up in my grill bragging about how much torque, traction, power yadda yadda yadda his truck has over my ERBE.

Well after a while we came up with the bright idea that we will have a TUG OF WAR with our rigs. Now I know what the summit can do, I have one my self but I want to stack the deck in my favor, so I have installed a 14t pinion and also I changed the spring rate and shock oil so it is stiffer. He did tell me that I have to run the stock tires and I could not have any chains on the tires, and he would be doing the same we will also be running 2x 7500 2s LIPO. Now my question to you guys is what else should I do so I could increase my chances of winning, because there is alot of bragging at risk and I want to be the one doing it.

I'm limited to running stock tires and 4s lipos and need any suggestion you can give me.

I HAVE EVERY PLAN OF SHUTTING HIM UP
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

weight on the front end....to keep it down
    more weight more traction.......so the truck doesn't start bouncing around from no traction......
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    I did this recently at a meet with a group Im in. I usen my bone stock Summit and beat 2 brushless Revos, a brushed Revo, a Wraith and a Summit with a dual Velenion setup...The only truck that put up a fight was a Revo with a 12v Dewalt motor. I beat him once with one broken rear drive shaft and he beat me once... He beat me because I broke the other rear driveshaft so we called it a draw. The Summit in low gear with locked diffs just squatted and drug everything backwards or they wheelied and flipped. If you want a fighting chance against the Summit I would suggest first you put a lot of weight on your front bumper to hold it down and second do the pull on a dirt low traction surface. Hopefully the dirt low traction surface will help you to allow your wheels to spin and not pull the front end up and like a truck pull the wheelspeed may work to your advantage...
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Champion
    Dont forget to take a video camera

If you could lock your diffs, that would help
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

RC Qualifier
    The last pull on the asphalt is when my second axle snapped

No Limit RC of Maryland

heeheeeheee it will cost you about $50.00, (two diffs) could trick him & lock the diffs...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4990707

RC Qualifier
    bet you my emaxx brushless would beat you erevo brushless
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    Locked diffs are key! Once I broke a driveshaft (basically eliminating the rear locked diff) it leveled the playing field but I still held my own till the second axle snapped...
    No Limit RC of Maryland

You will also want your truck sitting as high as possible to pull his off the ground if you can, and lock the diffs. Summit shafts and long travel rckers with some spring spacers to get it more height. Maybe put putty or lead tape all inside your wheels to make them as heavy as possible, you don't want to weight down your chassis then when he does get traction he's gonna pull you up and away.

If all else fails do a drive by on 6s that will shut them up about power and torque!

Sent from my Torch!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Tug o war is as much technique as power, remember that. Also don't lock your slipper!

Sent from my Torch!

Now I know what the summit can do, I have one my self but I want to stack the deck in my favor

so do some test pulls first, get an idea of throttle control.
    see what gets you out of the hole & get him moving backwards. First on the throttle will have the best chance for the win...

RC Champion
    soften your suspension so it squats and digs in: the lower the better - yes weight in the front is a must as well, if you can hide 5-10 lbs up there, it will easily pull 60-70 lbs of dead weight

not that I have done this....

with my Emaxx, I put summit tires, tranny and motor/esc in it. 10 lbs on the front and I pulled 43 lbs of lead weights across concrete

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    Also don't lock your slipper!

Maybe not lock it but its going to need to be tight. You will limit your power if its to lose.
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashDigger View Post

I've got the same color combo trucks,
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    So when is the "Tug of War?" Good luck. Any rules on what motor you can use? What motor do you have in your Erevo? Is it a Castle Creations 2200kv? I think you already said that you were planning on gearing down, but try and do some test runs with your Summit and get your trigger finger ready. LOL
    Last edited by summitbasher420; 01-12-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC Racer
    Tie the string your using to the front of your car then run it under it. So the harder he pulls the more it squats yours

Then the rear is going to be lifted, weights on the front should be sufficient to keep the front end down. My suggestion of not locking down the slipper was also aimed at getting max torque down to the ground without losing footing or pulling the front tires up off the ground.

May be time to dig into all those esc settings the MMM has!

Maybe you should get a summit tranny or tranny gearing that low gearing would really help!

Am I the only one who is watching RC tug of war vids on youtube? I agree with kenny they should be the same tires, talons aren't good anywhere. The canyons are good offroad and grip really well onroad too.
    Last edited by rjm2519; 01-12-2013 at 09:48 PM.

RC Qualifier
    i think you should be running the same types of tires, that way there is no advantage to the amount of grip each tire gets
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    I've got the same color combo trucks,

HEH.... me too..... in a way.

RC Racer
    The heck is up with this revo it just constantly goes left............

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by audiogodz1 View Post
    HEH.... me too..... in a way.

And I have the same storage idea as you

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by audiogodz1 View Post
    The heck is up with this revo it just constantly goes left............
    He didn't have locked diffs and I think that his left tire was the one getting the most traction
    No Limit RC of Maryland

That would be the diff...diffing...... that is why I would at least lock the rear diff for the pull off......

RC Racer
    He didn't have locked diffs and I think that his left tire was the one getting the most traction
    Yeah but it did it on the asphalt as well so it was consistently pulling left. That's why I was wondering why the truck was so insistent in biasing the diff to the left. I know why a 1:1 torques up, but the diff in this revo wasn't making sense to me.

So when is this thing gonna happen, some of us are getting anxious! LOL! Maybe you should do it on pavement and put some simple green on your tires just before the pull.

RC Qualifier
    grape soda or sugar water will give you tons of grip

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    So when is this thing gonna happen, some of us are getting anxious! LOL! Maybe you should do it on pavement and put some simple green on your tires just before the pull.
    I dont know who noir 522 is but I was the one who started this thread in the summit forum. Hottrodd1090 knows me and he can figure out who the friend is that would say that (because he knows him as well). As far as when this is going to happen the answer is when we get some good dry weather to do this. I live in Glen Burnie MD and it has been wet and I do not want him to fry his ERBE. There will be video of this and I will post it on Traxxas site on the Summit and ERBE threads, also on the off chance he chickens out and will not do this I will use my own ERBE to do this to find out because I would really would like to know.

RC Qualifier
    Tuning and skill will make a big difference i think.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by satyrisci View Post
    Tuning and skill will make a big difference i think.
    I agree 200%

These two trucks dont have very many things about them that are different. Its all about set up and and driver strategy.

Now if you took two trucks right out of the box and did nothing to them the Summit would win hands down. Its factory set up is for low end torque where the ERBE is not. Then turn the tables and do a drag race, the ERBE will smoke the Summit.